Black Sabbath

Well Dio only has what, 3 albums?

Everytime I go to the record store they always have the same albums, I've been looking for Tony Martin era stuff and even Ozzy stuff but they never have anything. How's Never Say Die? I heard the title track on the radio and it kicked ass!  :rocker:

On the radio? Awesome!

I'm not a huge fan of NSD but I haven't listened to it very much. The first 3 songs are great though. I will have to listen to it more.

Mosh said:

Everytime I go to the record store they always have the same albums, I've been looking for Tony Martin era stuff and even Ozzy stuff but they never have anything. How's Never Say Die? I heard the title track on the radio and it kicked ass!  :rocker:

It is good but not their best.  Go to amazon or ebay for the Martin cds.  They are well worth it.

I think I'll do that since I'm going to be ordering some stuff anyway on friday.

Just read through the thread, I think Tyr and Headless Cross look the most appealing.

My two favourites as well, though The Eternal Idol comes close (or even on the same level), and I really dig the haunting atmosphere on Cross Purposes. The last one isn't bad, but just not as good as the previous efforts, imo.

I agree on Tyr and Headless Cross - I think Tyr is criminally overlooked (in that it should a punishable offence to have overlooked how awesome it is).

Carrying on with some of the earlier fun on Black Sabbath, I wanted to take a crack at this:

Alright, I'll try.

Favourite album with Ozzy:
Paranoid (probably only one with him I really like)

Favourite album with Dio:
Heaven And Hell

Favourite album with Martin:
Tyr

Ten favourite tracks with Dio:
Neon Knights
Mob Rules
Heaven and Hell
Children Of The Sea
Die Young
Wishing Well
TV Crimes
Falling Off The Edge Of The World
Sign Of The Southern Cross
Slipping Away

Ten favourite tracks with Martin:
Odin's Court/Valhalla (x10)

:D

Favorite album with Ozzy:
Paranoid (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath gets real close)

Favorite album with Dio:
Heaven And Hell

Favorite album with Tony:
Headless Cross

Ten favorite tracks with Ozzy (no particular order):
- War Pigs
- Paranoid
- Iron Man
- Hand Of Doom
- Children Of The Grave
- Into The Void
- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
- Sabbra Cadabra
- A National Acrobat
- Never Say Die

Ten favorite tracks with Dio (again no order):
- Neon Knights
- Children Of The Sea
- Heaven And Hell
- Wishing Well
- Die Young
- The Sign Of The Southern Cross
- The Mob Rules
- Falling Off The Edge Of The World
- Over And Over
- Time Machine

Ten favorite with Tony (no order):
- The Shining
- Hard Life To Live
- Glory Ride
- Headless Cross
- When Death Calls
- Kill In The Spirit World
- Nightwing
- Jerusalem
- Valhalla
- Cross Of Thorns

Favourite album with Ozzy:
Vol. 4

Favourite album with Dio:
Heaven And Hell

Favourite album with Martin:
Headless Cross

Ten favourite tracks with Dio (no particular order):
Neon Knights
Heaven and Hell
Children Of The Sea
Die Young
Wishing Well
Lonely is the Word
Computer God
Falling Off The Edge Of The World
Sign Of The Southern Cross
The Mob Rules

My favorite Dio album:
Heaven and Hell

Top Ten Tracks (also in no order)
Neon Knights
Children of the Sea (probably my favorite)
Heaven And Hell
Country Girl
Lady Evil
Mob Rules
Falling Off The Edge of the World
Sign of the Southern Cross
Turn Up The Night
Wishing Well

Mosh said:

4. The Devil You Know is a Black Sabbath album (the title says it all).

My list of Black Sabbath albums from fave to least fave:

Never Say Die!
Paranoid
Vol 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Black Sabbath
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Born Again
Sabotage
Master Of Reality
Dehumanizer
Technical Ecstasy
The Eternal Idol
Forbidden
The Devil You Know
Seventh Star
Tyr
Headless Cross
Cross Purposes

My list of top ten Black Sabbath songs, which I made by the beginning of 2008 and I still stand by that:

War Pigs
Under The Sun
Thrill Of It All
Children Of The Sea
Lonely Is The Word
Born Again
Sphinx (The Guardian)/Seventh Star
When Death Calls
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Rusty Angels

Jeffmetal said:
4. The Devil You Know is a Black Sabbath album (the title says it all).
Right, I forgot about that one. But still, that isn't much.

I don't really have a ranking. The Headless Cross, Tyr and Eternal Idol are all pretty even for me, but I imagine Headless Cross is my favourite Martin era album.

Jeffmetal said:
Tyr
Headless Cross
Cross Purposes

Headless Cross one but worst? *gasps for breath*

It was heralded by many metal fans and musicians (especially in Europe).
I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of it. I also think that it's hard to find another Sabbath album with better guitar work on it.

I know this is all about taste, but knowing its status, and recognizing the rich consistent quality of the music and vocals on it, this feels as an unbelievable denial of one of the most iconic metal albums ever made.

It's almost as saying that Black Sabbath was the one but worst rock band this world has ever seen.
I am going -> click <-

(Hope you're not angry Jeff, we all know you can also oppose opinions and taste of others, and the most important thing is......             I haven't kicked you! ;) )

I love Headless Cross, but the production is a bit cold, too much reverb and the guitar sound isn't on the front as it should've been, but that was a rule in productions from that period (88/89). If you check my top 10 Black Sabbath songs, you'll find When Death Calls in it and we play Devil & Daughter in our tribute band and I was seriously pondering about including Black Moon or Nightwing or both on the next songs to learn. You're making in your mind that I find it crap and you're completely wrong. You are the one wanting to make it sounds like this. The albums have to have a ranking and that spot belongs to Headless Cross, but I still listen to this album a hell of a lot and know every song by heart.

I'm not angry, dude, I just know my Sabbath like few do and have balls to show my likes, regardless of what will be said about. I have to cope with the idea that some here don't like Killers, Piece Of Mind, Powerslave and Seventh Son...mind you.

Cheers!!! :edmetal:

If you look at the Black Sabbath forums, opinions are completely varied over there. It looks like everyone has just randomly generated theirs :p

Back