Black Sabbath

I like the new album much more than I was expecting to. I am a Dio fanatic, and I still believe he was the better Sabbath vocalist, but there is something classic and magical about Ozzy with Sabbath.

The album suffers severely from Rick Rubin's wall of sound garbage, but the songs are mostly solid. It boggles my mind why they didn't put the bonus tracks on the album in exchange for some of the 8-9 minute cuts, they're killer!

Sabbath kicked off their tour last night, and here's video of a song that Ozzy has sang thousands of times...

It's truly sad. I know he's old, I know he's ruined his brain, but jeez, I would ask for a refund. It's simply pathetic.

By comparison, this was filmed less than a year before his death:

Now I miss Dio again.

I was lucky enough to see him three times, once on the Killing the Dragon tour with Scorpions and Deep Purple, once with Maiden at Madison Square Garden, and once during his final tour with Heaven & Hell.

All three shows were magical.

Wow. Sabbath with Dio made a really good job. In general, my favourite BS album is Mob Rules. Ronnie had magical voice...
But I hope that show with Ozzy in Prague on December 07 will be great.
I saw Ozzy solo twice and his gigs were very powerful,

Finally tried 13, didn't like it. Sounds like they were mostly rehashing old material. Methademic was awesome though.

I listened to it a lot in the past few days, it's a grower. End Of The Beginning is at least Top 20 song. God Is Dead is also pretty awesome.

Here's my rating for '13'

01. God Is Dead? 10/10
02. Pariah 9.5/10
03. Zeitgeist 9/10
04. Methademic 9/10
05. The Loner 9/10
06. Peace Of Mind 9/10
07. Dear Father 7/10
08. Live Forever 5/10
09. Age Of Reason 4/10
10. End Of The Beginning 3/10
11. Damaged Soul 1/10

I definitely will. I like to listening to everything 3-5 times before making any real judgement.

I will admit that it got better toward the end. First two songs are dreadfully long and boring though, I had heard them plenty of times before too. Don't think those will grow on me.

I'd rank 13 right after the first six, Sabbath albums. It's obviously no match to those, but it's a really nice throwback to that heavy/doom-y sound that made them so great, different.

And, as much as I don't enjoy Ozzy's voice nowadays, he killed it on this record.

10 minute part of a documentary on Headless Cross with both interviews from that era and from later, with members looking back. Also good old Cozy (RIP)!
(annoying that the whole thing can't be found)

An interview with Geezer Butler from Time Out Dubai (yeah, whatever...):

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/nightlife/features/52258

Some interesting tidbits:

There must be a lot of water under the bridge – it’s not long ago Ozzy was suing Tony, right?
Yeah, a few years ago, yeah, yeah, over the name and stuff. I think because we were with [singer] Ronnie James Dio at the time, and Ozzy was... well whoever it was on Ozzy’s side was suing Tony. And I think when Ronnie James Dio died [in 2010] it made everybody realise we’re not going to be here forever – Ronnie’s gone and it’s such a shock to everyone, including Ozzy, and we thought if we’re going to do it, we’ve got to do it now. We’re mortal beings.

(...)

Is there ever a sense that’s someone’s missing, that the touch [founding drummer] Bill [Ward] brought to the music is no longer there?
We started off with Bill Ward this time around and it just didn’t happen.

I hear it was about money?
Well to be blatantly honest he just couldn’t do it anymore. He was thinking that we could take like ten years to do the album, whereas we knew we only had so long to do it and get out on tour, while you’re still good at what you do. Bill was a bit unfit, and ironically in hospital with intestinal problems, so he’d have had to leave the tour anyway if we’d gone out with him.

Are there any hard feelings? Would you have a drink with him?
I love Bill – we all love Bill – it’s a horrible thing he couldn’t complete it. Sabbath is Sabbath, it’s the four of us, we were almost going to call the album 75 Percent at one time [laughs], because that’s what it felt like. Especially when [Rage Against the Machine’s] Brad Wilk came in drumming – that was [producer] Rick Ruben’s idea to bring him in, and we thought if we’re bringing a brand new drummer, why can’t we have Bill? But Rick Rubin said ‘we can’t be in the studio forever waiting for Bill to get it right’.

OMG. This is one of the best things I've heard lately. Brownout is a Black Sabbath cover band. They cover Black Sabbath songs in latin funk/rock style. It all sounds pretty amazing:
Whole album:

I don't know why but I have doubts this will happen. When we hear something from Tony or Geezer, then I'll get very excited. I love Ozzy, but I think the other two members are more reliable sources of information.

Although, Tony did post on Facebook that he was working on old song ideas in a studio, so who knows? I hope it does happen, I loved 13!

And I'm not going to pass on another opportunity to watch them live, last year's gig in Birmingham was incredible!

:)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-sabbath-to-record-new-album-plan-final-tour-20140929

"In January, Osbourne told Rolling Stone that he was "down" to do another Sabbath LP, saying, "it's now or never." Iommi rejoined, "Absolutely." At the time, the guitarist reported that he was "feeling OK" from his treatments for lymphoma, which was discovered early in the making of 13."

That could be the deciding factor for pushing on with a new album so quickly, getting things done while they're all on good health and everything....

It struck me more that they mentioned "Final tour" in there...So the end of Sabbath is being planned. If all this holds up.

Back