Black Metal

After hundreds of spins I still keep discovering new things in this one, one of the most significant albums ever.

So what got any of you into Black Metal? In 1998 I bought Emperor's Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk based upon the reviews I read on the packaging. Then when I got home and listenedd to the CD, I thought, "What the hell is this crap?". Could barely hear/understand the lyrics. I wanted to return it. Keep in mind i was just into traditional Heavy Metal ala Iron Maiden, Priest,Metallica,Anthrax,Megadeth and some of the more popular bands at the time such as Garbage,Oasis and Collective Soul. Anyway,there was also a video for the song, The Loss And Curse Of Reverence on it. . Anyway, kept watching the vid and the genre grew on me. Have since gotten into bands such as Marduk, Satyricon,Enslaved,Mayhem,1349 and the above mentioned Satanic Warmaster. The list goes on and on. Btw, never got the "Nu-Metal" thing:)

Seeing Bathory's "One Rode To Asa Bay" video on TV in 1991 then digging into their earlier stuff; then hearing Burzum on the radio in 1992 or 1993 I think it was (yeah, we used to have that kind of radio shows), sharing tapes with like-minded people in Sofia. Getting a photo copy of Slayer Mag X about that time might have contributed too, as well as reading an interview with Satyr in Rock Hard ("Sinfonien in Schwarz-Dur" as far as I remember). The glorious days when new fascinating stuff just kept coming all the time.

Seeing Bathory's "One Rode To Asa Bay" video on TV in 1991 then digging into their earlier stuff; then hearing Burzum on the radio in 1992 or 1993 I think it was (yeah, we used to have that kind of radio shows), sharing tapes with like-minded people in Sofia. Getting a photo copy of Slayer Mag X about that time might have contributed too, as well as reading an interview with Satyr in Rock Hard ("Sinfonien in Schwarz-Dur" as far as I remember). The glorious days when new fascinating stuff just kept coming all the time.
Wow. You're going back farther than me. In '91, I never heard of Black Metal. I was into IM,Nirvana,Cheap Trick, Alice In Chains,Ozzy, Motley Crue,Metallica,Megadeth, Def Leppard, Anthrax,Guns and Roses and Scorpions. Heck, even in '98 I didn't know of the term. When I bought the Emperor disc and grew to like it, it opened my my mind to other bands that, just a year before, I would've been dismissive of. "The glorious days when new fascinating stuff just kept coming all the time." That certainly applies to me from 1998 to maybe 2007. Was a fun time.

First Tru Black Metal album id ever heard was Samael’s debut album Worship Him. This was in ‘95 and I was already into stuff like Moonspell’s debut and My Dying Bride. Found a cassette of Worship Him for 99cents at a used record shop, and was absolutely addicted to it. That album is just Riffs For Days. Then I found a dude’s personal review webpage that was garish as fuck by today’s standards, but he was reviewing all the underground Doom, Death, and Black Metal bands. I used that to search out other metal bands. Keep in mind, I was only 15 and living in the states. I was being opened up to a whole world of music that no one else had even heard of. All my friends liked Korn and Limp Bisquick.

Who else remembers Marcus Karlsson’s Review Page?

Who else remembers Marcus Karlsson’s Review Page?

This was a big one for me in terms of learning about different bands & putting their releases in context. I remember looking at the photographs & album artwork for Isengard in particular and trying to guess what the music might sound like.

Introduction to BM- 'Emperial Live Ceremony' live album from Emperor. There was a voucher for it in Kerrang, so I took the plunge. Followed shortly by 'Preparing for War' compilation by Darkthrone, which I appropriately enough purchased whilst school was closed because of snow :cool:. Still love both albums now!

Back