Best opening to a song?

Many people have said that there are many to choose from, which is very true. It's possible that each of those songs could be on peoples minds but chose to go with ones they thought were better.

Beat me to it, Flash. The Prophecy's outro is beautiful.

Edit: you were talking about The Clairvoyant. D'oh!

I'm shocked no one but me have chosen The Prophecy.

I can go with The Prophecy. Also, Prowler, great early Maiden indeed. That's a wonderful riff.

If it were "best endings", The Prophecy would be up there again.

Edit: Oh, you already talked about the outro too, didn't even notice. Great stuff!

Iron Maiden:
To Tame a Land
Caught Somewhere in Time
Be Quick or Be Dead
Rainmaker
No More Lies
Out of the Silent Planet
Revelations
Loneliness
Sea of Madness, even
and of course Powerslave!

Also maybe The Legacy - that beginning still slightly creeps me out

Other honourable mentions: (nobody said it may be only Maiden :p )
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love - Van Halen (actually the best part of the song)

Tornado of Souls, Symphony of Destruction, Peace Sells & My Last Words - Megadeth

Into the Void - Black Sabbath

Expresso Love - Dire Straits (Same as Van Halen, maybe even worse - the first moments after the "countdown" are the only thing I really like about the song)

Painkiller, Jawbreaker & Leather Rebel - Judas Priest

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Ace of Spades - Motörhead

Have a Cigar - Pink Floyd

I'm shocked no one's mentioned any of the bass intros from Killers. Innocent Exile, Wrathchild, and especially the title track are just gorgeous.

Also, I adore Sign of the Cross: The Gregorian Chant gives me chills. What I especially love is how there are basso profundo singers in the choir, who are chorus basses that can sing a full octave below a normal bass (!). How they are able to sing that low is genuinely mind blowing and they give the SOTC intro that much more atmosphere.

Here's an awesome example of contrabass singers (I'm a total choral music geek I apologize):

Last edited:
One of my colleagues, with whom I share office, is a bass singer geek as well. He's shown me just that song before ... I, too, find that singing very impressive. It's not just that they sing deep, but the voice sounds full and resonant all the way down to the bottom.

When I try to sing really deep, I go into the vocal fry register at least half an octave above that stuff - and the fullness of my voice is gone well before that.

I like a comment on the video: this is among the summits of humanity.

Edit: Not choral music but this is pretty epic. I recommend you to listen with headphones:

What's your range? I'm vocally untrained but I sit somewhere in the baritone range and lowest note I can hit is like a G2 or A2.

Not sure whom you were asking that question but the lowest I can get is C3, maybe a bit lower in a few years. Never had any vocal training either.

I can normally sing down to the low E on a guitar (i.e. E2) with a pretty full voice. The morning after drinking whisky I can go down to A1 :D My "best octave" is probably from aboug A2 to A3, so I should probably be characterixed as a low baritone (or a high bass).

If we're just talking about Maiden than,

Phantom Of The Opera
To Tame A Land
Powerslave (The sound of the crypt opening and the laughing before the guitar starts)
Caught Somewhere in Time
Wasted years
Lonliness
SSOASS
Moonchild
Fear Of The Dark
Sign Of The Cross (The entire first 2 and a half minutes)
The Wicker Man

If any band is included than I'd pick

A Tout Le Monde (Megadeth)
Crazy Train (Ozzy)
The Mob Rules (Dio Sabbath)
Metal Meltdown (Priest)
Smoke On The Water (Duh)
Aqualung (Jethro Tull)
Embryo (Intro to Children of the Grave from Sabbath)
Baba O' Reilly (The Who)

always loved Wrathchild intro...

Over all though,
Caught Somewhere in Time
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Wrathchild
Fates Warning
Ghost of the Navigator
Powerslave

1. Dream of Mirrors
2. The Apparition
3. Different World :applause:

More seriously (and for different reasons)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Be Quick or Be Dead

Run Silent, Run Deep (great, efficient atmospheric intro to a very underrated song)
Prodigal Son (once again, to be put into the "less is more" section, the song starts and I'm into it right away)

Invaders (unfortunately, the song sounds cobbled together afterwards)

Last edited:
Back