Best opening to a song?

I'm shocked no one said Brave New World. Hands down number one intro for me. I love how I can make out all three guitars, and each one builds on the previous and it's just really cool.

1. Dream of Mirrors
I always found the intro to Dream of Mirrors was the only weak/clumsy/silly part of the song. I have it edited out actually.

Seven deadly sins......M O O N C H I L D (best Maiden album opener)
moonchild.png

That's one I often overlook (although I do like the song), but actually, it does develop nicely, yes.

Non-Maiden, I'd say Good Mourning...Black Friday. I could listen to that intro for hours on end and still be entertained, and there's a reason it's now my favourite Megadeth song.

As for Maiden, there's a few candidates. My three favourite Maiden songs (Aces High, Caught Somewhere In Time and Paschendale) are all good options. Face In The Sand is beautiful as mentioned above. Powerslave is haunting. The Edge Of Darkness has a wonderful atmosphere. Blood Brothers is emotional.

It's hard to choose a favourite, but I suppose I'll go with CSIT. Such a wonderful way to begin the album, although if we're talking live performances, Churchill's Speech wins it for me.

Non-Maiden, I'd say Good Mourning...Black Friday. I could listen to that intro for hours on end and still be entertained, and there's a reason it's now my favourite Megadeth song.

Hey...I don't feel so good. Something's not right.....Somethings coming over me...

What the f**k is this!! Uaahhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo :D

Reactions: RTC
"Lord of the Flies" has my favourite opening/intro if we're talking Iron Maiden. I just love how it builds up and then goes from E to F#m when the verse riff gets going.

Hey...I don't feel so good. Something's not right.....Somethings coming over me...

What the f**k is this!! Uaahhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo :D

Fun story: It was very early morning Christmas day and I was in the car with my mum at about 6am as neither of us could sleep. We were near a coastal town, and for some reason, I decided to blare Dave Mustaine's scream out of the window and then drive away.

Fun story: It was very early morning Christmas day and I was in the car with my mum at about 6am as neither of us could sleep. We were near a coastal town, and for some reason, I decided to blare Dave Mustaine's scream out of the window and then drive away.

Haha. The Black Mourning scream? He doesn't do those screams anymore much...He did in the early days though! One of the better ones:

OuuuuuuowwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooWoooowwww

Great riff after that :shred:

I have about 34 nominations, at least one from each album. I've made a playlist of these. Early favorites include: Killers, Where Eagles Dare, To Tame a Land, Aces High, Flash of the Blade, Wasted Years, Fear of the Dark, The Nomad, Face in the Sand, Starblind, The Red and the Black, and Empire of the Clouds.

For non-Maiden, I nominate Stained Glass Sky by Arch/Matheos.

The Trooper probably.. Iconic., can't believe no one else has mentioned it. It just grabs your attention straight away.. Honorable mentions are 2 Minutes to Midnight, Sanctuary (underrated), The Number of the Beast, Wrathchild, maybe a few more... Of more recent songs, I'd pick The Wicker Man, The Longest Day (love the build-up), The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (beautiful, almost eerie and mysterious, perfect for the song) and The Book of Souls.

I really like the beginning of This Dying Soul by DT (you just know from the very first 2 seconds this one's going to be a hell of a ride). Same goes for In the Presence of Enemies, also by Dream Theater. The start of Into the Void by Sabbath is absolutely amazing too. So is Holy Wars by Megadeth.

But I would also like to name two songs that have beginning much better than the rest of the song:
Expresso Love by Dire Straits (that guitar/Bittan's piano interplay is better than anything that comes later)
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love by Van Halen (that riff in the beginning is the best thing from their debut album, IMHO)

This one is tough, as Maiden have so many great intros! Right now I'm listening to No prayer for the dying album, that alone my favorites are Run silent, run deep and Mother Russia.

Other great intros: To tame a land, Number of the beast, Flash of the blade, Wasted years just to mention a few

Flash of the Blade does have a good opening, now you come to mention it, although I'm not a great fan of the song as a whole.

Powerslave... if you consider the intro is the outro of Back to the Village. I can't help but see someone lost in a pyramid and running away from a mummy.

Back