Best final album of bands that will never record a new one (or are reaaaally unlike to).

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Let's dig deep in our memories and try to get a top 10 list.

Here's mine:

10) Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal: Although they wouldn't know by then, 2004 would mark the last release of one of Death Metal's finest acts. In truth the band would still record an album that never saw the light of day since the guys weren't happy with the result (something I truly believe since there's not a single Bolt Thrower album I consider to be a lackluster). twelve years after and at the wake of Martin Kearns death, the guys decided to put an end to it. And in their last effort they presented us with hymns such as At First Light, Entrenched, The Killchain and the rightfully so called closer When Cannons Fade.

9) Type O Negative - Dead Again: Being sort of an overview of the many faces TON used and abused throughout its infamous lifetime, it's only fitting this would be the band's swansong. Want Hardcore? Here's the Title track. Some Doom? Take The Profits Of Doom. A deeper dive in their Beatles like Stuff? Then listen to September Sun. These guys were unique and it's a pity Pete's heart didn't manage to pump more to offer us further ventures into TON's bizarre universe.

8) Miranda Sex Garden - Carnival Of Souls: One of the most underrated acts out of the 90's, MSG's classical music induced alternative rock did hit its peak in the previous Fairytales Of Slavery, but Carnival Of Souls is both a worthy follow up and, at the same time an evolution of their own game trying to propel them to the 2000's. It's a pity they didn't manage to endure because this album is exquisite.

7) The Sisters Of Mercy - Vision Thing: I really shouldn't be including this record here. Why? Because the only reason Andrew Eldritch fails to release a newr album in 28 years is simply due to the fact the guy is a lazy and greedy douche bag that came to the conclusion that making new records wouldn't pay off (literally!) as much as playing the same tunes year after year. And it's a shame since, albeit being a tad bit more commercial, songs like the title track, I Was Wrong, Ribbons or the famous More make out of Vision Thing another win hands down.

6) Death - The Sound Of Perseverance: What to say about a man that invented an entire new sub genre in Metal, perfects it only to later break its boundaries? We all miss Chuck and songs like Scavenger Of Human Sorrow, Spirit Crusher or Flesh And The Power It Holds maintains the excellent level of quality of his entire catalogue. Another genius who left us too early.

5) Kyuss - And The Circus Left Town: Kyuss were one of the most important acts of the Stoner Rock scene and their last effort is by far my favorite. Hymns such as One Inch Man, Thee 'Ol Boozeroony, Phototropic or the hypnotic Hurricane are proof of such excellence. Plus an equally excellent act in Queens Of The Stone Age would be born from the ashes of the band, reinforcing even more its importance.

4) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland: Well... there's nothing else I can add up to this monster of an album except the fact this is my favorite one by this genius who left us far too early. Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Chile, 1983, All Along The Watchtower... this thing is the last breath of a legend.

3) Black Sabbath - 13: Other than being a bit derivative here and there, I really struggle to understand how people say this is not an excellent album. I mean these guys didn't solely laid the foundations for the vast majority of what heavy music should sound like but, decades after and way deep in their 60's they drop crushing bombs like Beginning Of The End, Methademic, God IS Dead?, Loner and Age Of Reason and people still nitpick? Heretics. This is without shadow of doubt a glorious way for one of the most influential acts ever to close their album collection.

2) Alchemist - Tripsis: One of my favorite psychedelic metal bands resolved to call it quits when they were absolutely at the top of their game. Cuts like Wrapped In Guilt, Grasp The Air or Substance For Shadows show how inventive were these Aussies. Hope I'm wrong and one day they reunite though I quite doubt it.

1) Pink Floyd - The Division Bell* :
Many PF fans tend to overlook this album. I for myself think it is easily within their top 5. Songs like What Do You Want From Me?, Keep Talking or Marooned are unique compositions that balance beauty and melancholy in a masterful fashion, while High Hopes is simply put the zenith of the entire album and an unbelievable way to turn the last page of one of Rock's greatest bands ever.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Celtic Frost - Monotheist
  • Aghora - Formless
  • Emperor - Prometheus
  • Lard - Pure Chewing Satisfaction
  • Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
  • Isis - Waving Radiant

* Since The Endless River is a compilation of The Division Bell sessions leftovers and remixes.

Last edited:
I have never heard of Miranda Sex Garden so I stuck them on. I am listening to Fairytales of Slavery and I am liking it.

I'll add Thin Lizzy, just because it came to me head. Their final album, Thunder And Lightning has the title track and Cold Sweat. Two of the most aggressive songs in their catalogue. There may be more, I can't remember but the nature of these 2 songs alone makes me yearn for one more album. Although they probably would have changed line up and would have had a range of styles on the next album but still, I liked where they were goin.

I thought In Utero by Nirvana was great. And too bad The Doors last 2 albums weren't that good even though they didn't have Morrison. And I guess Heaven And Hell could technically be Black Sabbath's last album with Dio as well as Dio's last album, Master Of The Moon. Slayer went out on a pretty decent album as well with Repentless and Let It Be by The Beatles is a great one. Also, Clockwork Angels by Rush and King Animal by Soundgarden. And I was never a big Motorhead fan, but I did read that Bad Magic received good reviews. And I know there aren't a lot of HIM fans on here, but love their last album, Tears On Tape. I'm also a huge Beastie Boys fan and Hot Sauce Committee is really good as well. And finally, Children Of Bodom went out with a pretty good one with Hexed and Jethro Tull with their Christmas album.

Rush - Clockwork Angels - Probably my favourite album of theirs. Some of their finest work, and The Garden takes on a whole new light now it was the last thing Neil Peart wrote to appear on an album, plus it's an absolutely beautiful song.

The Garden is my favourite Rush song, the fact that it is about how to live ones life just adds to the loss of Neil. A measure of love and respect. Clearly Neil's way of saying thank you in my mind. If it had been written back in the 70s and 80s it would have been a massive hit for them I'm sure.

I'll add Thin Lizzy, just because it came to me head. Their final album, Thunder And Lightning has the title track and Cold Sweat. Two of the most aggressive songs in their catalogue. There may be more, I can't remember but the nature of these 2 songs alone makes me yearn for one more album. Although they probably would have changed line up and would have had a range of styles on the next album but still, I liked where they were goin.

Was going to add this too, a great album. Sun goes Down, Holy War and Baby Please Don't Go are all genuine Lizzy classics too. It's their most "metal" album as well if anyone is reading this and considering checking this out.

Rush - Clockwork Angels - Probably my favourite album of theirs. Some of their finest work, and The Garden takes on a whole new light now it was the last thing Neil Peart wrote to appear on an album, plus it's an absolutely beautiful song.

This was the only thought I had when I read the thread title. What an incredible way to end a career. Clockwork Angels is in my top three Rush albums.

Cream - goodbye
The beatles - let it be
Led zeppelin - in throught the outdoor
Nirvana - in utero
Sigur Rós - kveikur
Gamma ray - empire of the undead
Porcupine tree - the incident
Bathory - Nordland II
Celtic Frost - monotheist
Children of bodom - hexed

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth.
Easily knocks out Cherone and Hagar era and trumps over some of the first 6 albums with Roth.

Johnny Cash - American 4: Man Comes Around.
Splitting hairs here, 4th one is the last published while he was alive, while 5 and 6 were posthumously (although they were all recorded somewhere around 2002)

Also, Let it Be and In through the Outdoor have no place here.

Back