Best final album of bands that will never record a new one (or are reaaaally unlike to).

The beatles - let it be
Let It Be was the last album to be released but it was recorded before their true swan song, Abbey Road.
Also, Let it Be and In through the Outdoor have no place here.
In Through the Outdoor is indeed Led Zeppelin's last album, Coda being a compilation of leftovers (the same way Endless River is to Pink Floyd's discography) and Page&Plant is not Led Zeppelin.

Although it is as sad as Gamma Ray's probable drying up of studio output for a good while (maybe not for good), I won't be surprised if Music from Another Dimension (which has great songs on it, though there are a few fillers too) were Aerosmith's last album.

Wondering whether to put Innuendo or Made in Heaven by Queen on this list.

Wondering whether to put Innuendo or Made in Heaven by Queen on this list.
It depends on whether we want to see the glass half-empty or half-full, since this album does have original material the entire band has worked on together after the release of the previous album ("Mother Love" -Mercury's final takes, "You Don't Fool Me" and the wonderful "A Winter's Tale"- the last song he wrote - I thought "It's a Beautiful Day" was brand new too but I have just learned it mostly comes from experimentations recorded during the The Game sessions).
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/behind-the-albums/queen-made-in-heaven/

Let It Be was the last album to be released but it was recorded before their true swan song, Abbey Road
I know, it doesn’t really matter which album is considered the last one, I think they both belong in a “Best final album of bands that will never record a new one“ list. Abbey road is a much better album of course, but the ending of Get back fits so well with the ending: "I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition"

Throwing ABBA’s The Visitors into the mix.

By the time this album was released, the quartet was at odds with each other and straining to keep their ship going. Despite that, they crafted a fantastic last release that points firmly in a direction of breakup and yet proves how great the band was overall.

Some songs came right out and said that things were drawing to a close. “When All Is Said And Done” is an up beat number, but the lyrics are tainted with a saddened nostalgia for the good times. “One Of Us”, the album’s hit, is just tainted with sadness overall, as is “Slipping Through My Fingers”. Then there are the songs that aren’t built around closure, like the title track, “Soldiers”, and the joke song “Two For The Price Of One” — but even that song sounds pained, as if there’s no real reason to joke anymore.

The album concludes with the hauntingly beautiful “Like An Angel Passing Through My Room”, a song that always makes me cry, and the perfect way to close out an incredibly discography. ABBA is a band that’s incredibly hard to hate, and with this album they proved that even in the darkest of times, they could still craft magic.

Cream - goodbye
The beatles - let it be
Led zeppelin - in throught the outdoor
Nirvana - in utero
Sigur Rós - kveikur
Gamma ray - empire of the undead
Porcupine tree - the incident
Bathory - Nordland II
Celtic Frost - monotheist
Children of bodom - hexed
Damn, both Porcupine tree and Sigur rós actually came with new albums after this.

The Sigur rós one is actually nice, but Porcupine tree was way too safe sounding I think, not as experimental as they usually were.

Throwing ABBA’s The Visitors into the mix.

By the time this album was released, the quartet was at odds with each other and straining to keep their ship going. Despite that, they crafted a fantastic last release that points firmly in a direction of breakup and yet proves how great the band was overall.

Some songs came right out and said that things were drawing to a close. “When All Is Said And Done” is an up beat number, but the lyrics are tainted with a saddened nostalgia for the good times. “One Of Us”, the album’s hit, is just tainted with sadness overall, as is “Slipping Through My Fingers”. Then there are the songs that aren’t built around closure, like the title track, “Soldiers”, and the joke song “Two For The Price Of One” — but even that song sounds pained, as if there’s no real reason to joke anymore.

The album concludes with the hauntingly beautiful “Like An Angel Passing Through My Room”, a song that always makes me cry, and the perfect way to close out an incredibly discography. ABBA is a band that’s incredibly hard to hate, and with this album they proved that even in the darkest of times, they could still craft magic.
Lol, and of course now they’ve actually gone and released a new album.

Emperor: Prometheus
Strapping Young Lad: The New Black
Celtic Frost: Monotheist
Motorhead: Bad Magic
David Bowie: Black Star

R.E.M Collapse Into Now
Transatlantic The Absolute Universe
Jean-Jacques Goldman Chansons pour les pieds
Noir Désir Des visages, des figures

Very subjective takes:
Angra Fireworks
Queensrÿche Hear in the New Frontier

Too soon to tell:
Scorpions Rock Believer
Metallica 72 Seasons
(not their peaks, but nothing to be ashamed of either)

and unfortunately, Dream Theater will keep on releasing albums though I think they should have stopped after Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (or possibly Octavarium).

Last edited:
Some really great ones..but I think the first that came to my mind is this:
David Bowie - Blackstar
Perfect album, farewell gift to fans. Lazarus, for example, I simply adore the sound and feeling of the song. It still moves me so much.
I got hooked on the album already on the release date and then during the weekend I listen to it plenty of times with my wife.
Then the next news came few days later as he had passed away. I simply couldn't help, but feel really sad that I had lost my hero.

Back