Best Eddie

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
You know, I've always wondered...what's the best Eddie? Lots of people have very strong opinions on the subject. Similarly, what's the worst Eddie?

My favourite Eddie is the Aces High cover, followed by Powerslave cover - man, that scene is majestic. But lots of people prefer many other covers as well.

So, to help out...

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScYRR31qzHuWqPq2s3Uc528q3Hoi0_Bni6DSiTy0ew9dp2fUg/viewform

We can have a discussion regarding this, but I encourage everyone to take 5 minutes and fill out this survey. Maybe after a month or so, I can post the Maidenfans.com Eddies order.

That was really cool. My favorite Eddie is hard to pick, but gun to the head, the original cover of their debut is one of the greatest album covers ever IMO.

As for worst, hands down Edward the Great. It does not look like a Maiden release at all. It's not terrible, it just doesn't fit Iron Maiden.

Cool survey, LooseCannon! I'll have to think about it... and come up with some kind of criteria.

As for worst, hands down Edward the Great. It does not look like a Maiden release at all. It's not terrible, it just doesn't fit Iron Maiden.
I always liked this one, but I think the band agrees with you, as it's the only piece the artist did for Maiden. Meanwhile a guy like Mark Wilkinson got some early 2000s work and eventually a cover with TBOS.

Edward the Great is kind of bland but I still like it. Then again it has some sentimental value because it was the latest release when I discovered Maiden and I remember seeing it all over CD stores.

Hard to beat The Trooper.

Yeah, like I said about Edward the Great, it's the worst, but only by Maiden's standards. On its own it's actually a decent cover.

I would say Edward the Great is still far superior to any of the clay/digital crap from the Blaze era. Also, some of those early ones (charm or no) are pretty bad.

There were too many to remember in that poll, but I think I gave highest points to BNW, Trooper, Powerslave, Breeg, and LAD.

Last two posts were exactly what I wanted to say. ETG wipes the floor with the cgi/live action stuff.

Never fear, those things are low on my list as well. :p (Though I must admit that the album covers for Virtual XI and The X Factor and Man on the Edge are actually well liked by my own self.)

I gave all Ed Hunter Eddies a 1. One of the few times where marketing beat out the best artistic choice for Maiden.

Done.

Somewhere in Time or Powerslave should be number 1. SIASL, Aces and The Trooper will be high too.

Tough choice. But my vote from the heart is: "Killers" (the one I consider having as a tatoo) (Worst ones: Maiden England's pseudo-Trooper and reedition pseudo-Iron Maiden)

One thing that doing the survey made me think - the early covers are actually pretty scary.

Eddie is on the streets of London rather than in abstract or fantastical scenarios and looks a bit more malevolent than some of his later personas.

Maiden covers still reach out of the shelves and grab your attention today amongst all the other pretty graphic metal artwork on the shelves, I can see how they would have caused quite a stir back in the day when Eddie was even more unique.

Back