BEST BAND EVER: Results!

On initial listen, it was between Bush and Urban Breed, with Urban Breed having the edge mainly because of his style. I think the four singers in these examples were really quite reliant on backing vocals/harmonies in crucial places. Knick's extra examples of Bush adds a lot to his case, showing off his range and giving a greater demonstration of his abilities. Going for John Bush.

Urban Breed is pretty good, strong range, but I think he's a B+ player and we're looking for As and higher here. But if we have no As, I'd go with him, for sure, in this group.

Phil Lynott is obviously a legend, but his voice is ideally suited for Thin Lizzy. How's he going to sound over Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, and Tony Iommi? He's got the husky part of vocals down, but I want more from my Best Band Ever singer. B-.

John Bush, I've listened to some Anthrax and some Armored Saint casually, but never paid attention too much. He's got some power, yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of the top of his range, but it's pretty good. This is a tough one, but I'm gonna say A-.

David Byron, actually gets a little nostalgia vote for me, as my dad loves Uriah Heep. But overall, he's in the same vocal range as Phil Lynott. B-.

So it's Bush.

John Bush, I've listened to some Anthrax and some Armored Saint casually, but never paid attention too much. He's got some power, yeah. I'm not the biggest fan of the top of his range, but it's pretty good. This is a tough one, but I'm gonna say A-.

I can understand that, his high range can definitely get really shrieky. His natural rasp gets piercing when it’s that high. They were always more influenced by Judas Priest (than Maiden) and you can definitely hear that influence on their first 3-4 records with his highs. The first Judas Priest song I ever heard was actually due to an Armored Saint cover:

I actually think his voice has gotten a lot better with range, becoming so much warmer and well-rounded. Now to hit those high notes he uses more of a "mixed" voice (i.e. pushing more from his gut than head) or goes purely falsetto and I think it sounds much better.

John Bush is 100% responsible for my love of "bluesy" vocals in metal. He was the gateway drug to Dio and Russell Allen for me. I remember reading interviews back in the day where he says that his favorite stuff to sing is classic Motown.

There is only one iconic voice in this poll and this is Phil.
Plus if we are considering things beyond the voice he is far and away the best songwriter and probably the most charismatic front man as well.

BTW... Mongolian folk singers would like to have a word with all those who say growling isn't singing (as well as all the throat singing ancient technique performers from the far east). The stuff I sometimes read in this forum...

Last edited:
I had really high hopes for Urban Breed in this round, but it wasn't meant to be... Sad!

Lynott is a pleasant vocalist with limited range, and Byron and Bush sound good but have nothing in their voices that many other vocalists don't. To me, Urban is the most original one...

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 73:
David Byron
John Bush
Urban Breed

Promoted after Round 73:
Phil Lynott

Maynard James Keenan (A PERFECT CIRCLE, TOOL)

Paul Stanley (KISS)

Tarja Turunen (solo, NIGHTWISH)

Tim "Ripper" Owens (CHARRED WALLS OF THE DAMNED, ICED EARTH, JUDAS PRIEST)

Maynard is decent but probably the worst part of Tool.
Paul Stanley is ok but I never cared about him or KISS.
Tarja is good but somewhat overrated and definitely not Nightwish's best singer.
Ripper Owens is the easy choice here.

Maynard isn't great, don't love the vocals in Tool. Paul Stanley, ahahhahahahaha ok. It's between Tarja and Ripper for me.

I only like Tarja and Ripper out of this selection. Being in the Tarjabias camp, I'll go for Tarja.

Easy. Maynard.

Schism though is probably one of my least favorite vocal performances of his.

Back