Best Album Ever Survivor: Somewhere In Time wins

Vote for your least favourite album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But coming back to this:

Nothing? *rubs eyes* Holy shit. Not even the guitar and bass work? Hard to beat really, very exciting stuff.
E.g. in this song:
The instrumental work is good stuff, for sure.
Song would make a great Maiden cover, would it not?

Yes. Not sure how Bruce would sound, but yeah, I'd go for it.
By the way, I added emotional and melodic, (two very appealing ingredients I thought) in my previous post.

What do you think of Yes? I think it especially lacks in the melodic department. :yawn:

Roundabout is worth listening to for the bass alone, but overall they're a band I'm pretty meh about.
They can play the lights out, but there's not a lot of swagger, power, or emotion.
Plus Anderson sounds too sweet for my tastes.

Roundabout is worth listening to for the bass alone, but overall they're a band I'm pretty meh about.
They can play the lights out, but there's not a lot of swagger, power, or emotion.
+ 1 Annoying vocal melodies as well.

Until I voted, more people had voted against Sticky Fingers than Mahavishnu Orchestra. You people should be embarrassed.

I voted against:
Both Priest albums and both Dickinson albums (I like them, but someone needs to knock some sense into this forum, as neither should have fewer votes than Sticky Fingers or Who's Next. Again, embarrassing.)
Dream Theater
Wishbone Ash (the track Foro posted is not that strong)
Uriah Heep
Fragile
Mahavishnu
Meddle (I really debated that one, but it is only Floyd's 4th or 5th best album)
ELP
Thick as a Brick
Sabbath vol. 4

Agree that 1984 is a great year for albums. The signature non-metal (or hard rock) albums from that year were Purple Rain and Born in the U.S.A. I'll nominate them now even though they don't stand a chance and I don't particularly like the latter. But any "best albums of 1984" discussion is absurd without at least considering those two releases.

Also nominating U2's War (1983).

In addition to Yes, you've also just described Dream Theater.

Nominating:

Violent Femmes -Violent Femmes
The Police -Synchronicity (probably the nicest effort of Sting ever)
Brian Eno -Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks
Tom Waits -Swordfishtrombones (the turning point of Wait's career and one of his best efforts)
Slayer -Show No Mercy

Manowar -Hail To England (their best effort by far imo)
Savatage -The Dungeons Are Calling (incredible power metal, from one of the best Metal bands ever)
Twisted Sister -Stay Hungry
Bruce Springsteen -Born in the USA
Fates Warning -Night On Broken
Warlord -And the Canons of Destruction Have Begun (a mythical release from a mythical group)

In addition to Yes, you've also just described Dream Theater.
Exactly what I thought! Although I find DT a bit more melodic, to be honest, and they also have power.
But both singers annoy me, and both bands tend to have some boring songs and/or songs with non-pleasant vocal melodies.

My thoughts on Yes as well. But I enjoy a few albums. There's a bunch of melodies though, the way the vocals interplay with the instruments is something else. Despite the fact that I don't like Jon.

I fucking love Purple Rain, seconded. Also seconding Synchronicity and Springsteen.

Nominating:
u2 - War
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (cue the tomatoes :D)
Suicidal Tendencies - S/T
Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking

I'm sorry if the "425 fanboys over Dream Theater" act is getting old, but I was wondering what particularly about James LaBrie's voice is found annoying by some people. I mean, I get the people who say they like the music of Rush but they are annoyed by Geddy Lee's vocals. I understand that because Geddy uses a very non-traditional and unusual vocal style.

I have to say that I don't quite understand the people who reject James LaBrie as a good singer. I realize that I am in a vast minority in saying that he is one of my favorite vocalists, but I'm not sure what it is about his voice that makes it so that he is not tolerable at worst. LaBrie has range, fairly good technique, and is a very emotive singer (which is why I don't understand the accusations of DT being cold; James' voice drips emotion on songs like A Change of Seasons). DT's vocal melodies are some of the few that I find particularly pleasing as melodies themselves (meaning: without regard for things like emotion or tone of the singer's voice), though James has only written a few of them (unless I am mistaken, in DT the lyricist generally submits vocal melodies with the exception of Myung, whose few lyrics have melodies probably written by Petrucci. This means that LaBrie has only written a handful of vocal melodies, one of the best among them being "Caught In a Web"), along with those of Dio and the occasional line from another band (some of Rush's, a few of Maiden's, some of Blaze's).

Obviously I recognize that not everyone has to share my opinion, but I would like to have a greater understanding of specific attributes of James LaBrie's vocals that people dislike.

Simple, he's almost always out of tune and when he hits the high register it's unbearable.
This is post 1995, mind you.

I wouldn't even call it boring. It's just bad. I wish Portnoy would've had his way with this one. After Metropolis they should've found a more aggressive singer. Or at just some good DT cover band singer. I've heard a bunch of good ones.

I seriously doubt Mike knows anything about vocal quality, considering the awful backing vocals he produced. :p

Well that might be true, but his other bands have had amazing vocalists. Neal Morse, Casey McPherson, Russell Allen. To name just 3

I'm sorry if the "425 fanboys over Dream Theater" act is getting old, but I was wondering what particularly about James LaBrie's voice is found annoying by some people. I mean, I get the people who say they like the music of Rush but they are annoyed by Geddy Lee's vocals. I understand that because Geddy uses a very non-traditional and unusual vocal style.

I have to say that I don't quite understand the people who reject James LaBrie as a good singer. I realize that I am in a vast minority in saying that he is one of my favorite vocalists, but I'm not sure what it is about his voice that makes it so that he is not tolerable at worst. LaBrie has range, fairly good technique, and is a very emotive singer (which is why I don't understand the accusations of DT being cold; James' voice drips emotion on songs like A Change of Seasons). DT's vocal melodies are some of the few that I find particularly pleasing as melodies themselves (meaning: without regard for things like emotion or tone of the singer's voice), though James has only written a few of them (unless I am mistaken, in DT the lyricist generally submits vocal melodies with the exception of Myung, whose few lyrics have melodies probably written by Petrucci. This means that LaBrie has only written a handful of vocal melodies, one of the best among them being "Caught In a Web"), along with those of Dio and the occasional line from another band (some of Rush's, a few of Maiden's, some of Blaze's).

Obviously I recognize that not everyone has to share my opinion, but I would like to have a greater understanding of specific attributes of James LaBrie's vocals that people dislike.
On your advice I have heard Scenes from a Memory and I liked the first 20 minutes a lot. Then a calmer part or song came, might be even the one you recommended on the emotions. Now there might have been some emotions but it was exactly that voice that sang so annoying. It was not a loud high part. It was a calm sweeter part. It was not only the voice, I thought the melody was hard to bear as well. The whole excellent vibe of the album was gone in an instant. It was just like I was listening to a ballad by a shitty pop band. Subsequently I got less interested in the rest of the album. That is the impact of Mr LaBrie. He and the bad vocal melodies he sings are some of the ingredients which can spoil a cool atmosphere. Another important one is that they do have interesting instrumental parts but they also do have non-interesting instrumental parts. These exaggerated show-off parts.
I am willing to point out some of the exact moments when these worse moments (both voice and instrumental) happen on this album.

Differences with Rush:

I agree that Geddy's voice (especially live) can be annoying too to some. But I got used to it, for a reason: With Rush, most of the time, the vocal melodies are better, and most of the time the instrumental parts are more exciting.

Just my 2 cents.

Back