Best Album Ever Survivor: Somewhere In Time wins

Vote for your least favourite album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey, if Judas Priest offers people all the variety they need in the world of music then hey! fine with me :D If you want heavy stuff you take Painkiller by Judas Priest, if you want a slow ballad you listen to Before The Dawn by Judas Priest, if you want to rock out you listen to Breaking The Law by Judas Priest :p

I mean,look of course there is variety in these albums but it's still just Judas Priest and they haven't really changed that much from album to album, most radically different was the early stuff.

Not really bothered with the Maiden top 10, the non Maiden top 10 is the most interesting to me :)

Alright. Well, personally I wouldn't have minded if we had one other album instead of one of the Priest albums (two would be harder to take ;-) in the non-Maiden top 1o , but I think that we have so many Priest ones out there, because people have different favourites. And that's a testament to the band's quality. Other bands have one or a maximum of two high scoring records, so these bands are clearly subdivision.

Perhaps a rule by which a maximum of only one album per band may compete, is something you'd have preferred?

I think you are definitely right that people have different favorites and that played a large role.

Hm, I don't really know. Possibly that could work. Then we'd almost need a voting within the voting..we'd need to decide by voting which album by X band would make it in to the actual voting :D

I'd say though I'm more interested in trying a non metal edition of this and seeing how that would pan out without the giants of traditional metal which were naturally already big favorites from the get go :D Also other variations like mckindog proposes could be fun...Don't know if so soon after this one though?

I think the issue for me is that, while Priest was an influential pioneer, and I like much of what they did, their overall quality just isn't up to par with Sabbath or Maiden. And nowhere near that of, say, the Beatles or Pink Floyd.

Curious why anyone (such as Crimson Idol) would not "care for" the Beatles. They made the most groundbreaking music since the 18th Century and pretty much came up with everything in rock music that we still listen to, while the quality of the songwriting still holds up incredibly well. At this point, a lot of 80's metal sounds far more dated than the Beatles' music that was recorded 20 years earlier.

I like Beatles, but I definitely don't love them. I haven't given Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath much chance (a few albums here and there) but I'm 99% sure I wouldn't enjoy them nearly as much as Priest or Maiden. Dio's voice is great, Ozzy's annoys me.

I see a lot more in extremely high and powerful vocals and excellent guitar solos and harmonies than I see in the music of the ground-breaking Beatles.

It wasn't that long ago we did a favourite bands survivor - both Floyd and the Beatles did well, but not as well as Priest and Sabbath.
And it's no mystery why: one of Maiden's best qualities is heaviness, and those two bands don't have it.
I love the Beatles, but my feelings for Floyd are more respect than love.
I'd like them more if once in a while they would just rock out.

That is probably the best way to put it, I respect the Beatles.. but I just don't get the same feeling when listening to them as something like Maiden/Priest. In a more 'general' rather than metal sense, I would put Queen in higher regard.

Well no surprise here that I agree with Cornfed :D

Personally I don't mind if people don't like them or not, it's personal taste, but you gotta at least respect them for what they've done musically, and it seems most people here do that so that's good...

Sometimes I have people under suspicion for thinking that Beatles were just four people in suits playing Twist & Shout. Which they were. But they did SO much more than that. Anyone with any interest in Rock history should at least be listening to their albums. And if I could recommend one album that I think, out of all the Beatles albums, that would resonate the best with metal fans it would be The White Album (or self titled, whatever you prefer) It has their most rock-ish and dirty tracks on this album. Tracks like; Why Don't We Do it In The Road, Back in the USSR, Happiness is a Warm Gun and Helter Skelter...60s metal :D

my feelings for Floyd are more respect than love.
I'd like them more if once in a while they would just rock out.

I get that, I really do. They occasionally rock out on Animals, and "One of These Days" is pretty heavy in its own way, but you're right, they never really cut loose. Still, no one can construct a guitar solo like David Gilmour. Not Dave or Adrian. Not Hendrix or Page or Blackmore. Not Clapton or Beck. You name it, nobody. You could put recordings of "Comfortably Numb" and "Time" in a time capsule with a note: "This is as good as the human race has been or will ever be at playing the electric guitar."

By the way, somebody else get their ass on here and vote against Painkiller. Need to save Heaven and Hell.

I think the issue for me is that, while Priest was an influential pioneer, and I like much of what they did, their overall quality just isn't up to par with Sabbath or Maiden. And nowhere near that of, say, the Beatles or Pink Floyd.
On top of that, their discography is incredibly inconsistent. At one point you have the classics Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin, and then all of a sudden you get the filler loaded Stained Class (Sorry to those who like that album, but I'm not gonna debate this one again. That album is meh). Their entire discography has sorta worked that way. On the other hand, Floyd, Beatles and Maiden released classic after classic in their hey day, and some would argue that they continued to do so after that. I certainly would in the case of Maiden.

By the way, somebody else get their ass on here and vote against Painkiller. Need to save Heaven and Hell.
Too late for that, it was eliminated last round :p

Rules are here:
Maiden vote-spliting means Pictures makes its final move into sixth.
Is Painkiller the next to go?
TOP 10 (Non-Maiden edition)
2. Moving Pictures
3. Heaven and Hell
4. Chemical Wedding
5. Ride the Lightning
6. Screaming For Vengeance
7. Accident of Birth
8. Defenders of the Faith
9. Sin After Sin
10. Rising
TOP 10 (Iron Maiden)
5. The Number of the Beast
6. Brave New World
7. A Matter of Life and Death
8. The X-Factor
9. The Final Frontier
10. Killers
TOP 10
6. Moving Pictures
7. Heaven and Hell
8. Number of the Beast
9. Chemical Wedding
10. Ride the Lightning

On top of that, their discography is incredibly inconsistent. At one point you have the classics Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin, and then all of a sudden you get the filler loaded Stained Class (Sorry to those who like that album, but I'm not gonna debate this one again. That album is meh). Their entire discography has sorta worked that way. On the other hand, Floyd, Beatles and Maiden released classic after classic in their hey day, and some would argue that they continued to do so after that. I certainly would in the case of Maiden.
Thankfully this was about albums. And Priest had at least 4 very popular albums in these circles.
All these other bands you are mentioning had not.

I voted early this time, which is a risk (and could be a deviation from my earlier plans).

Perhaps more votes on Powerslave would save Painkiller, but I honestly don't enjoy Piece of Mind as much as Powerslave. Rime, Powerslave, the first two songs, the Duellists and even Flash of the Blade and Losfer Words make for a better collection of songs.

Piece of Mind has The Trooper and To Tame a Land but the rest of the songs hardly reach the same level of excitement. Revelations is an overrated fest of repetition.

Powerslave was my favourite album for a long time.

The Duellists is for me the ultimate "forgotten song" in Maiden’s catalogue. I find it very underrated and I can’t understand people when they say it’s boring. I like it because of the brilliant mid piece. GREAT melodic guitar work, with the rhythm tandem McBrain/Harris underneath it. The song has a catchy chorus, that stays in your head (not the way the chorus of TAATG stays in your head!). No weak parts. Unlike most Maiden songs, the tempo is all the time the same, but despite this, the song has an enormous drive!

On Powerslave we can hear a different way of guitar playing than on Piece of Mind. Adrian often plays different things than Dave. E.g. in Rime and in The Duellists Adrian plays open long chords where Dave plays fast rhythm guitar (powerchords). For someone who likes to hear more variation and details in the guitar work, Powerslave is definitely the better “product”!

The bass can be heard very well, and all sounds by Harris are clear to the ears, and the guitars are more separated to the side channels, compared with the full and fat guitars on the previous album.

...and then, down in falls comes the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

Over the years Powerslave has lost quite a bit of its appeal to me. Apart from Aces High and Rime, I don't feel much like listening to the ablum at all. On the other hand, Piece of Mind has moved up in my personal rankings. I love every single song there.

Back