Beast Over Hammersmith 1982

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
I have a question for the BOH '82 video.
Maiden released some footage from this concert in the Early Days DVD, but only 9 songs ! I know that they do not released the full show due to the lighting difficulties - well, on YouTube it has some songs that are ''Special Edition'' (with not good quality) ! I wonder if the full show was released before on VHS or something ?

The songs that are available are:
- Drifter
- Sanctuary
- Wrathchild
- Running Free

This is one of Maiden's best live albums and the release of it in 2002 was a really nice surprise ! Bruce is tremendous on this concert, as well Clive :)

Here are the videos:

This is one of Maiden's best live albums and the release of it in 2002 was a really nice surprise
Yes, by the time Live after Death was recorded they had 3 albums out with Bruce. I think Live after Death had 3 Di'Anno era songs and BOH had like 11 => BOH is the definitive album if you want Bruce versions of songs from the first two albums. That version of Murders in the Rue Morgue is my favorite opening from any Maiden live album!

Last edited:
On this video says ''full concert'', but only the official released songs + the ones that I mentioned are on it - the others are only audio !
Although, the video for Sanctuary is with very good quality.

Last edited:
"Sanctuary" was released as part of the 12 Wasted Years documentary, but not on the Early Days DVD. It was never released on VHS, nor vinyl, nor any other kind of media; its first ever official release was on Eddie's Archive in 2002, since The Early Days only came about in 2004, and 12 Wasted Years featured only one song (IIRC).

"Sanctuary" was released as part of the 12 Wasted Years documentary, but not on the Early Days DVD. It was never released on VHS, nor vinyl, nor any other kind of media; its first ever official release was on Eddie's Archive in 2002, since The Early Days only came about in 2004, and 12 Wasted Years featured only one song (IIRC).

Not quite sure I understood what you just said there. The original VHS release of 12 Wasted Years contains Murders in the Rue Morgue, Children of the Damned, Total Eclipse, Sanctuary and The Prisoner all live from the Hammersmith 82 show. So yes it was released on VHS before the re-release for the DVD :) I have the VHS right here and it's definitely on there :D

Not quite sure I understood what you just said there. The original VHS release of 12 Wasted Years contains Murders in the Rue Morgue, Children of the Damned, Total Eclipse, Sanctuary and The Prisoner all live from the Hammersmith 82 show. So yes it was released on VHS before the re-release for the DVD :)
Yeah, I didn't remember the other 4. But still, all of them but Sanctuary were released on the DVD, what I meant was that there was never an official (or even bootleg, as far as I'm concerned) release of the entire Hammersmith concert. That was only on audio in 2002.

The liner notes from Beast over Hammersmith CD version in Eddie’s archive was clearly written mid-tour 1982, so I think Beast over Hammersmith (full show) was supposed to be released on VHS before Christmas 1982. But it was canceled due to poor quality for the video

So they bothered to have liner notes written before/without considering the actual result if the vid itself. Remarkable. Usually one considers the content of a product (vid/sound) and afterwards prepare it for release (packaging which include liner notes). Because all effort should make sense.

Of course, it is possible that the decision to cancel Hammersmith was done at a very late moment. There might have been doubt all the time, all preparations continued, and then at the end it was decided "fuck this".

I should read these notes again, interesting you discovered that these were written at the time.

Not quite sure I understood what you just said there. The original VHS release of 12 Wasted Years contains Murders in the Rue Morgue, Children of the Damned, Total Eclipse, Sanctuary and The Prisoner all live from the Hammersmith 82 show. So yes it was released on VHS before the re-release for the DVD :) I have the VHS right here and it's definitely on there :D

Wow, I totally forgot that Sanctuary was part of the 12 Wasted Years documentary...
Ok, but from where are the other videos on YouTube (Drifter,Wrathchild, Running Free) ? Maybe they are from some rip-off VHS version of the concert - but as @Number 6 said, there was never an official full video/concert version of the BOH. o_O

That is until we have an official Live at Ullevi 2005 ;)

Yeah, but in '82 Bruce was really at his prime and songs like Drifter for instance sounds amazing - I disliked this song until I heard the version from the BOH live album, now I think it is a good song (the version on Ullevi is not good though)

There's a bootleg dvd featuring those tracks, that's probably the source of the youtube clips

Yeah, probably this is the source of the youtube clips...
But I wonder if this bootleg dvd contains the remaining songs, or (as already said) this concert never ever been released in full... o_O

* the only thing that annoys me in the BOH video is that Adrian is not shown more often (as if the camera avoided him, especially on the solos) !

* the only thing that annoys me in the BOH video is that Adrian is not shown more often (as if the camera avoided him, especially on the solos) !
Apart from the bad rendition of the stage lights on screen, one of the main reasons why the release of BOH was scrapped is that Adrian's torso and belly were in a big cast that night, following an injury, which made it difficult for him to move and which made him look like the Michelin bibendum.

Apart from the bad rendition of the stage lights on screen, one of the main reasons why the release of BOH was scrapped is that Adrian's torso and belly were in a big cast that night, following an injury, which made it difficult for him to move and which made him look like the Michelin bibendum.

I never knew that, thanks for the info... ;)

... also it's annoys me every time when I watch a concert of Maiden on YouTube where during the solo for a song (whenever is played by Adrian, Dave or Janick) the camera does not show the guitar player ! - every show from Rock am Ring where is shown on some TV programme does that, also on Ullevi and Dortmund '83 has this kind of moments.

That makes sense. Because he played one guitar the whole gig (he used to switch between Goldtop and Destroyer on most of the dates). If he was in a cast, the guitar changes would be incredibly painful. Plus, Les Pauls are heavy as fuck.

In the end, we basically have video for 13 out of 18 songs that are on the BOH live album (only 3 of the songs are with poor quality/ Sanctuary is with good quality because of the 12 Wasted Years documentary version). I would love to see the other songs to be released on video... :ok:

At least we have the BOH live album in full... fantastic versions of the older songs by Bruce !

Back