Battle Of Covers: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Phase 1, Round 12 Results:
All Along The Watchtower and For Whom The Bell Tolls are promoted; To Tame A Land, Ronnie Rising Medley and Maybe I'm A Leo are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 13:
Removed due to content. The video is still on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Highway Star and Whiskey, for at least being interested while paying homage to the original (or the original cover in Whiskey's case).

That take on Flight of Icarus is hilarious.

I love it. Yes, there's this Spanish accent, but listen to what they do with the tempo and groove. :shred: A very dedicated and original work (the melodies are also different). Please be patient and listen to the whole song (the last 1 and a half minute beats most songs from this game).

Highway Star
Vocals are awesome on this cover... Glenn Hughes got better with age, never really liked him in the 80's. Instrumentally it's nothing special, production is a bit too fuzzy, especially the guitar. Solid cover nonetheless.

The Sentinel
Vocals are definitely the weakest part, Flynn just can't replicate Halford with this vocal style. Not bad, but not particularly good. Drums are an improvement over the robot that is the drummer on the original. Everything else is too much by the book... but in the end it's a solid cover.

Whiskey In The Jar
One of the best covers in the game. I think it's on par with the original but has a very different feel... can't really say one is better than the other. Either way, gets my 1st vote.

Dyers Eve
James' vocals are better but everything else on this cover is better than on the original. Especially the drums, of course. Gets my 2nd vote.

Flight Of Icarus
Interesting take on the legendary original that ultimately failed. Vocals are weird... guy can sing but his accent is too distracting and he whined too much during the ballad part of the song. They basically just took the lyrics and wrote completely new music which really isn't my thing.

Machine Head and Revocation. I have to admit #songprejudice here, I consider Whiskey in the Jar in its various forms one of the most overplayed songs ever, to the extent I'm thoroughly sick of hearing it. Sorry. :p

Phase 1, Round 13 Results:
Whiskey In The Jar and Highway Star are promoted; The Sentinel, Dyers Eve and Flight Of Icarus are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 14:

22 Acacia Avenue
While I love Dark Tranquillity and Stanne's vocals... this cover is very mediocre. Absolutely nothing added instrumentally and vocals are too robotic and emotionless for Stanne. Could've been done much better.

It's A Sin
One of my favorites in this game and also one of the best pop-to-metal covers. They managed to make it completely theirs while retaining most of the ideas of the original. Gets my 1st vote.

Smokin' In The Boys Room
Never heard the original... this cover was very forgettable. Never really liked Mötley Crüe either tbh.

Over The Hills & Far Away
Way better than the original. Gets my 2nd vote.

Twist & Shout
Never heard the original... this cover was OK but a bit too repetitive.

Dark Tranquility - I usually dislike melodeath Maiden covers - I just don't think it works all that much. This one's no exception.

Gamma Ray - this version reminds me even more of The Long Distance Runner (the intro riff) :D A fun cover, gets my vote.

Motley - Never liked them and this song's no exception. It's okay, I guess, it has a catchy chorus and I wouldn't change the station to avoid it, but it's completely bland.

Nightwish - gets my vote, of course. It's amazing. This song alone would be the reason to buy the EP.

The Beatles - Well, it's way too overplayed for me. Contrary to the popular belief, I like early Beatles, there are times I even like those early songs more, but I more or less dislike those early covers (bar Anna, You Really Got a Hold on Me, Words of Love and Mr. Moonlight if I'm in a silly mood :D )

I'm not a fan of either Nightwish or Gamma Ray as bands, but their two covers here are the best of the 5.

If someone could break the tie on top before I update in an hour or two, that'd be nice. Otherwise I'll have to do a tiebreak and I really hate tiebreaks :(

Back