Back in the Village

How good is Back in the Village on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Unfortunately this is the only blemish on the entire powerslave album. The vocals are annoying and the chorus seem repetitive. If we made an album of IM filler songs, this would be on it. Unlike flash of the blade, this one isn't growing on me. 7/10 due to the guitar solo redeeming it some.

The last of the three "samey" song on the album. Fast, rocking, but fails to deliver something more then that. But I like it still, and it builds the hype for what's to come. The third 6 in a row (666, mohahah ;) )

6/10

7/10. I'm thinking this one may be my least favorite on Powerslave, though it's still a pretty good song as is every song on the album! This one definitely has my least favorite chorus on the album. It still has some very good qualities throughout it though.

Another average track, although with a different chorus it may have reached the status of "good". Also, I don't like the ending. Overall...

6/10

9/10. Can't believe the low ratings here. The guitar heroics are stunning. This one closes a trio of songs that are the greatest "filler" ever recorded.

9/10. Can't believe the low ratings here. The guitar heroics are stunning. This one closes a trio of songs that are the greatest "filler" ever recorded.
I agree that FOTB, TD and BITV are the greatest "fillers" ever. They work so well within the context of the album. I can't say that I listen to theses song often outside of the album. Back in the Village is probably my least favourite song off Powerslave. Still a rocking song. 7/10

One thing that is interesting about the "fillers" on Powerslave is that each of them is wildly different to the others. The band knew their bookends were epic, but they experimented in between. That's confidence.

Adrian's leads work here is awesome. I can see him deploying that riff in my head. Very svelt.

Unfortunately I think the rest of the song loses it a bit. Bruce is off key in the chorus, which is not a very good chorus. It repeats without emphasis, and the emphasis of other repeated choruses in Iron Maiden's catalog is what makes them more epic.

7/10

6. One of the better pieces of the filler in this album.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

1984 - Powerslave

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village

9/10

Back in the Village is essentially the sequel to The Prisoner from Number of the Beast, it deals with the same character and setting, but also raises some questionable lines about flying. This is an underrated tune, in my opinion, with verses that are absolutely vicious and catchy as hell. Once again, the chorus is nothing great, but the rest of the song is fantastic. Adrian’s riffing is stellar as always and the solos stand out more than anything else. I’m honestly floored at how many great guitar unisons and solos there are on this album, it’s probably the most guitar-oriented record in Maiden’s catalog. Keep an ear out for the hidden “six, six, six” mixed low into the recording when Bruce sings, “I see sixes all the way.”

Some solid riffing with maybe the trickiest riff in the Maiden catalog. It's a fun track and there isn't anything wrong with it, but something about it doesn't reach the highs of other songs on the album. Maybe it's because I'm eager to get to the epics. That said, every time I hear it I think that it's better than I remember and I should really listen to it more.
I love how Bruce changes his delivery in each pre chorus.

Awesome intro and a cool story in the lyrics. Adrian rules on this track (as he does in general on the Powerslave album). i just hate that my CD version has put some of the Powerslave intro at the end of the song.

9/10

10/10, one of my favorite Maiden songs. It just scorches. The opening riff is insane. This song has an amazing energy and power and leads perfectly into the album's epic closers.

This track is the introduction to what will follow on SIT guitar wise. An incredible riff from the almighty H. The rest of the track falls a bit behind, because I am not particulary fond of the chorus.

A good song.
7/10

A really strong follow up to "The Prisoner" and a strong song on its own right. Quite underrated, may I add. The main riff is awesome and the intro is one of the best in Maiden's catalog. Another 9.

Probably the least inspired song on this incredible album. Intro and riffs are quite good, and some parts of the song are quite catchy, but I’m not really a fan of the vocals. 6/10

Back