Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One etc.)

I would start with The Human Equation. Easier story, flutes, cello, Hammond organs, versatile singers, downtuned seven string guitars, great flow between songs.

For curiosity’s sake... why’s that?
The story and racial issues are problematic, the lyrics are nothing but plot and quite lame at that, the narration is both completely overwrought and overused while also not giving enough information (I shouldn’t need a comic book to get the full meaning), the characters are all surface-level protagonists with little agency (especially Abby)...it’s just not good.

I know to expect cheese from Ayreon, but this album is just too much.

racial issues are problematic
Story was always meant to be servant girl / rich guy romance. Simone Simons was the original main female character, but Arjen later discovered Cammie and chose her instead. He was a bit nervous with the whole race thing that would be brought up, but Cammie was fine with it. I don't really see a problem with it.

Hasn't it always been the opera convention that the skin, nationality, sometimes even gender doesn't really matter and apply between the character and the performer? I think I've been thrilled by so many girls in trouser roles so as to possibly even question my sexuality based on that fact alone.

(I'm mentioning this also because two days ago the Met streamed this excellent rendition of Turandot, so yes, tens of people in yellowface, sometimes singing about their home back in the bamboo and it was still absolutely awesome)

But I can't help but notice you mention only the lyrics/concept, which was never the main pull for me. How about the music? Is it even 2/3 of the quality of The Source? Because if it is, I'm definitely diving into that one.

Last edited:
I don't rate The Source too much.

Best Arjen era is the stretch from Into The Electric Castle to Victims of the Modern Age (just Ayreon and Star One albums, not Ambeon or Stream of Passion).

The Theory of Everything's format with 42 short songs really doesn't work for me so I heard it like twice at most.

The Source has too many singers, and is too power metallish (fuck off Tobi).

Transitus has more of the things that I like than previous two albums, better singers, and higher highs, but it's still far from Arjen's golden era.

I know you don't :D

But I did absolutely love it and it's still the only Ayreon album I can listen to from start to finish without drifting off somewhere in the middle. Maybe I just don't mind power metal that much? If nothing, the opening 1-2-3-4 punch of World to Star is just so... colourful, intriguing, interesting.

Transitus has more of the things that I like than previous two albums

Still, you don't turn back just like that, at least most artist don't. Makes me intrigued, anyway.

I adore The Source for its scientific themes and have no desire to hear Ayreon’s take on a gothic love story or whatever this is supposed to be. I’ll listen to it eventually, but right now I’m still digesting the new Armored Saint and Fates Warning albums. I too hope that the music is as great as it was on The Source.

That is awesome news. Star One is my favorite project of his.

Floorgasmn!

It will be awesome to hear some more Hammond organs and downtuned 7 string guitars along with plenty of singers this time

I'm kinda disappointed that the original lineup of Swano, Allen, Wilson and Floor is broken up; they are what made Star One special in the first place (compared to other Arjen projects). Just one singer per song is kinda disappointing. Still excited for the album, but would've been more excited if the lineup was intact.

Back