Arjen Anthony Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One etc.)

I was thinking about doing a new Thread with all information about the new Star One album, it is going to be a huge one and the current announced names are Floor Jansen, Steve Vai and Roy Khan. It will be a double album with different singers for the same songs on each.

I was thinking about doing a new Thread with all information about the new Star One album, it is going to be a huge one and the current announced names are Floor Jansen, Steve Vai and Roy Khan. It will be a double album with different singers for the same songs on each.
Also add to that Brittney Slayes, Tony Martin, Marcela Bovio, and Irene Jansen.

I truly hope we get a Russell Allen reveal, but if not, Kahn, Slayes, and a Double Jansen more than make up for his absence!

Good album. Didn't like it at all on the first listen, but it grew on me... Better than the debut, but far from the second album. Still would've preferred if the original 4 singers sang on the entire album, as a lot of the charm of the first 2 albums is lost when it's just one singer per song. All 4 still appear on the album (but just on one song each) and no other singer on the album beats any of them.

I was a little dissapointed to. Sounds like a cross of The source and Space metal. And the cover is very Ayreon-ish obviously, and with all those singers…and maybr it’s just me, but there is less Hammond organs on this album compared to the two others? Lots of Solina thought, which is nice.

The album is not bad, maybe just needs more time like the Ayreon albums. Just not any instant goosebumps like you’ll get from Space metal and Victims of the modern age.

Btw, why isn’t Peter Vink and Gary Wehrkamp playing on the album? Peter is in his 70’s so I kind of understand he is not on the album, but where’s Gary?

I've listened to it once and the album is definitely bookended by the best songs. First two tracks are killer, as is the finale. Floor sounds good on her song and the following track with the Russell/Jorn sound-a-like is also good.

The rest get pretty damn goofy, honestly. I'll need to give it another listen. Haven't touched the second disc yet as those singers don't interest me at all.

EDIT: Further listens have not really changed my mind...
  • Fate of Man is the best overall song - great performance by Brittney Slayes and Michael Romeo, cool song.
    • Marcela Bovio's version does not compare at all.
  • 28 Days (Till the End of Time) is great mostly for Russell. It gets a little wonky and lame in the middle, but still one of the better songs here.
    • John Jaycee Cuijpers version is sung equally as well (I mean, he's basically a Russell worshipper), but he doesn't have the same level of charisma or weight to his voice.
  • Prescient is just weird and not very good, sorry Mike Mills. It's nowhere near as catchy or fun as songs like Everybody Dies.
    • Will Shaw's version is just kinda whiny and not any better.
  • Back From The Past and Revel In Time are actually the two catchiest songs on the record by a pretty long mile, but the lyrics are just so damn silly. They're definitely fun and enjoyable.
    • Cuijpers does not improve on Jeff Scott Soto's version of the former. Soto's voice has way more personality and grit. His version of the title track is maybe equal to Yeagley's, but I don't think so? Yeagley has a few 80's/Axl Rose-isms that fit the song better.
  • Tracks 6-8 are pure filler, regardless of the singer. Track 6 is specifically annoying.
    • Joe Lynn Turner does nothing for me, but he's certainly better than Italian knockoff Joe Lynn Turner on disc 2.
    • I'm not a big Damian Wilson fan, but as with the others, his voice has more presence than the guy singing the other version.
    • Same goes for Dan Swanö, who is far more competent and interesting than Arjen.
  • A Hand on the Clock is pretty much worth it just for Floor. The song is average at best.
    • Irene sings her heart out on the other version, and Marcela sounds fine, but neither can come close to Floor.
  • Beyond the Edge of It All is a cool song, definitely one of the better from the album. Both singers do a fine job with it, but Cuijpers sounds more confident and gritty.
  • Lost Children of the Universe is pretty awesome, too, but I feel like it could have been better. Roy Khan kills it and there is some really fantastic music throughout. The bridge is wonderful and, shocker, Steve Vai plays a great solo.
    • Get the hell outta here, Tony Martin.
Overall verdict: It's fine. Half the songs are good and I'll listen to them again. The second disc is entirely unnecessary.

Last edited:
I think the strongest tracks bookend the album, but I'm only on my second listen. The "fun" songs - Back From the Past, Revel in Time, and Today is Yesterday - are very catchy, though. I outright laughed at the last of the three, about the movie Groundhog Day. It's just such a silly song, but I've had it in my head all day. Maybe tomorrow will be in the same vein.

I think the strongest tracks bookend the album, but I'm only on my second listen. The "fun" songs - Back From the Past, Revel in Time, and Today is Yesterday - are very catchy, though. I outright laughed at the last of the three, about the movie Groundhog Day. It's just such a silly song, but I've had it in my head all day. Maybe tomorrow will be in the same vein.
Absolutely, the first two you mention are the catchiest by far but also so absolutely silly. Today is Yesterday is mostly catchy cause of Swanö’s vocal layering.

I wouldn't call it my favourite, but I 01 is probably the album I listen to the most. It has a great flow (minus the two unrelated songs).

No Jorn Lande or Floor and Hansi is not 100% confirmed. Still pretty good though. Currently thinking about whether I should buy tickets for one or two shows...

Got the tickets for Friday and Saturday shows. Figured since I'm already there, and these concerts happen very rarely (who knows if there'll be more). Can't wait!

Well, now the shows are over, anyone here went to one or more of them? I’m glad they filmed it! And I wish Arjen would play more on these shows, it’s not very Ayreon when he is barely on stage…

I was there and it was amazing. I've been wanting to write an essay on it but I'm not good at writing and didn't have time either.

Back