Are you pleased with Maiden's direction?

Jeffmetal said:
Can't understand what people see on AMOLAD, and to say The Talisman is a rehash of The Legacy and Coming Home a rehash of Blood Brothers shows pure lack of knowledge on the subject. Sorry.

You and  me both, man. I remember going to Circuit City back when it was still around and got it's version of the deluxe album and I could still vividly recall how disappointed I was with it, hoping it'd grow on me over time and it never did. It blows my mind that the general consensus among fans of this band is that Dance of Death, which I think is a downright awesome album with thoroughly enjoyable songs is looked down upon while people worship this mediocrity....I mean, why? To me there's something about the way it sounds that doesn't sound...."Maiden" whereas DOD and TFF do, I can't quite put my finger on it. and what the hell do people find wrong with songs like Gates of Tomorrow, Dance of Death, New Frontier,Wildest Dreams ect? For me, each ONE of those songs crushes AMOLAD as an album into dust.

Man On The Edge said:
You and  me both, man. I remember going to Circuit City back when it was still around and got it's version of the deluxe album and I could still vividly recall how disappointed I was with it, hoping it'd grow on me over time and it never did. It blows my mind that the general consensus among fans of this band is that Dance of Death, which I think is a downright awesome album with thoroughly enjoyable songs is looked down upon while people worship this mediocrity....I mean, why? To me there's something about the way it sounds that doesn't sound...."Maiden" whereas DOD and TFF do, I can't quite put my finger on it. and what the hell do people find wrong with songs like Gates of Tomorrow, Dance of Death, New Frontier,Wildest Dreams ect? For me, each ONE of those songs crushes AMOLAD as an album into dust.

Exactly!!! Gates Of Tomorrow, Age Of Innocence, Montségur are mind blowing and uplifting. AMOLAD is dry, monochromatic and plodding.

They are? So it's not the repetitive choruses, because I was just gonna say the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on.

Jeffmetal said:
Exactly!!! Gates Of Tomorrow, Age Of Innocence, Montségur are mind blowing and uplifting. AMOLAD is dry, monochromatic and plodding.
Taste is debatable.  DOD has Paschendale and the title track, which are both among Maiden's best epics; it has Rainmaker, Face in the Sand, Journeyman, No More Lies, and Montsegur, which are memorable songs while not among the very best.  The rest feel like Filler.  AMOLAD has Different World as filler, mostly a better remake of Wildest Dreams.  It has These Colours Don't Run and Benjamin Breeg, which work terrific live.  It has The Legacy, Lord of Light, and Brighter than a Thousand Suns, which are on equal level with Maiden's best epics.  For the Greater Good of God and The Longest Day get a bit repetitive, but the non-repeated moments more than make up for that.  AMOLAD is just so much more consistent.

Really, Paschendale and the title track are the only thing that distance Dance of Death from No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, and Fear of the Dark.  In DOD, I wait for these two songs, but in AMOLAD I don't want to skip a single track.  What you call monochromatic I would call consistent.  As for plodding, I would say TFF is more plodding than AMOLAD, and that's with no disrespect to the former.

LooseCannon said:
They are? So it's not the repetitive choruses, because I was just gonna say the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on, the evil that men do lives on and on.

Don't be silly, dude. :p

Of course taste is debatable and what you mean with disrespectful? I don't like one album you don't like another and that's it. You're all messing up AMOLAD consistency with musical uniformity - It's one long black and white movie.

Jeffmetal said:
It's not the repetitve chorus as Maiden always had it, it's that most of the songs are boring and uninspired and TLD and FTGGOG are some of Maiden's worse.

Well, both 'For The Greater Good Of God' (best Maiden song ever) and 'The Longest Day' are in my top ten Maiden songs...

Jeffmetal said:
Of course taste is debatable and what you mean with disrespectful? I don't like one album you don't like another and that's it. You're all messing up AMOLAD consistency with musical uniformity - It's one long black and white movie.
I think you're messing up what we mean by 'consistency'. At least when I say AMoLaD is consistent I mean that the quality of the songs is consistent - not that the sound is consistent.

Sure, the slow intro and outro is heavily present. But the intro to 'The Legacy' is completely different to the intro to 'The Longest Day'. Likewise comparing "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" and "For The Greater Good of God"'s intro would be silly as well.

The Longest Day is top 10 (it used to be top 5 but my early The Final Frontier rankings has knocked it back) and For the Greater Good of God is Top 15. These Colours Don't Run isn't far behind either.

There are great moments in the album intertwined in badly arranged songs and uninspired boredom, 4 classic songs to amazing songs and an amazing lyrical content. Still, it's Maiden's weakest.

You lot praise the album, I don't and both sides have the right to express it whenever needed.

Sure, express away dude.

Jeffmetal said:
When they're good b&w movies, there's really no problem.

I get what you mean by the album's songs being stylistically similar, and it's not an adventurous album in the same way as TFF, but I think the approach works pretty damn well in the case of most songs.  But, we aren't really getting anywhere here.

Before the dark times, the short rockers were the norm with the occasional epic.  post reunion that has reversed where now you get more of the epic style as the norm with the occasional short rocker.  So no matter which you prefer, you still get some of what you love.

Album wise, I think every album of the reunion era has bettered the one before it.  And while I cannot break down a song into what key or time its played in (though I marvel at those who can), I know what I like and that each album that has been released post reunion has more songs in regular rotation on the MP3 player than the one before it.

Jeffmetal said:
Can't understand what people see on AMOLAD, and to say The Talisman is a rehash of The Legacy and Coming Home a rehash of Blood Brothers shows pure lack of knowledge on the subject. Sorry.

Or perhaps the ease by which you dismiss the opinion of others as an apparent lack of knowledge on their part is, in fact, an insight into your own misplaced arrogance. Sorry

You're wrong, mate. Where am I arrogant around here? I think that maybe you're being incapable to admit you agreed on that comparison and later realized it's totally misplaced and wrong, which is arrogance in itself.

Listen to both and tell me sincerely if they're similar, except for the D intro on both The Legacy and The Talisman the use of the 'THE' article on both titles.

Jeffmetal said:
You're wrong, mate. Where am I arrogant around here? I think that maybe you're being incapable to admit you agreed on that comparison and later realized it's totally misplaced and wrong, which is arrogance in itself.

Listen to both and tell me sincerely if they're similar, except for the D intro on both The Legacy and The Talisman the use of the 'THE' article on both titles.

Yes. of course, you're right!  My apologies clearly you know what I think and you are certainly right that no-ones view but your own are correct.  Really, its a wonder why anyone would think you were mispalced with your arrogance.

totally agree from iron maiden to no prayer for the dying every one of those albums were class, then fear of the dark came along and that album was crap only 4 good songs on it, then the 2 albums with blaze were patchy also, brave new world, dance of death and amolad were class, but the final frontier is awful only 4 good songs on it and bruce is singing like a cat in pain.

Anyone care to help maidenwarrior mix things up by providing some different similes for the future threads he slags Bruce's TFF performance on?

Hollow and muffled? A bat in a drain!

Weak and lost in the mix? A gnat in the rain!

Kinda effeminate and ragged? Pat Boone on a train!

Anybody?

The first two albums to me sound dated now when I listen to them. The next five still sound excellent. The next two were meh. The two Blaze albums get shat on too much, but they're alright. The four most recent albums are actually really great.

If we're grouping them by the strength of each era, I'd rank the reunion era albums just slightly behind the 80's Bruce era albums. So yeah, I can say that I'm quite pleased by the band's current direction.

Back