Any parts of songs that remind you of past songs?

To go back to the original topic,  the bit from 5:31 to 6:20 inThe Man Who Would Be King reminds me a bit of The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (0:38 to 1:00).  It took me some time to locate it, and I might be imagining it though.

The Alchemist during the verses sounds a hell of alot like Be quick or be dead to me, i can't believe nobody else has picked up on this

Rikstewart said:
The Alchemist during the verses sounds a hell of alot like Be quick or be dead to me, i can't believe nobody else has picked up on this

Also reminds me of Man on the Edge.

Some similarity to Paschendale could be found in Isle of Avalon (3:39, chord progression). Some others already mentioned, just interesting, how this album quotes from the past. Would make sense if this would be the last album :)

Well, it is also interesting how it quotes itself - Mother of Mercy chorus quoted in The Talisman (2:28 when the singing starts), Also similar feeling (drumming?) in Isle of Avalon (4:22+) and Starblind (4:16+).

Rikstewart said:

The sound reminded me of Futureal. :)

You guys are insane amazing when it comes to recognition.  I never would've found any of these besides the talisman and the legacy one. 

I am also constantly floored at many people on this forum's ability to know which guitarist is playing what... How do you do that?!

LeakPlease said:
You guys are insane amazing when it comes to recognition.  I never would've found any of these besides the talisman and the legacy one. 

I am also constantly floored at many people on this forum's ability to know which guitarist is playing what... How do you do that?!

30 years of listening.  They're quite distinct, despite being so complimentary to one another.  Tonally they're very different too.  You just pick it up with time. 

Belenor said:
Well, it is also interesting how it quotes itself - Mother of Mercy chorus quoted in The Talisman (2:28 when the singing starts), Also similar feeling (drumming?) in Isle of Avalon (4:22+) and Starblind (4:16+).

Maiden have done that before. Go back to Powerslave. First listen to The Duellists - at 4:14 to be specific. Then listen to Rime of the Ancient Mariner, from 10:02 onwards. It's almost the same guitar harmony!

Babo 91 said:
Janick sounds raw
Dave sounds smooth
Adrian sounds like sex

Thats how you tell the difference.

Haha I see, I think I can handle that.  I now think Adrian made the whole album.  It all sounds like sex to me.  :bigsmile:

Also... Sometimes I hear smooth sex, occasionally raw sex; my brain is fried.

Eddies Wingman said:
Maiden have done that before. Go back to Powerslave. First listen to The Duellists - at 4:14 to be specific. Then listen to Rime of the Ancient Mariner, from 10:02 onwards. It's almost the same guitar harmony!

It seems you're right :) Well, it has never occured to me on Powerslave, on The Final Frontier, it hit me immediately, could be caused by more concentrated listening, I do not recall listening to Powerslave in such a detail, shame on me :) Well, I did not meant it as a critique, in fact, would it be a concept album, I would have actually expected and wanted such quoting moments :)

After listening to Starblind again just now, I want to elaborate a bit more on the similarities to other songs:

I think the beginning of the song actually also references No More Lies (but in a subtle way). I'm thinking of the third motif in No More Lies, starting at 45 seconds.

Regarding this similarity to Infinite Dreams: If we break down this part of the two respective songs, and look at the chord progression while it stays in one particular key (say, 2:10 to 2:20 in Starblind, or from 1:44 to 1:54 in Infinite Dreams). To begin with, both are in the key of E, which is the one Maiden use most frequently.

Now look at the chord progression in that part in Infinite Dreams. It goes E, C, D, E, C, D.

Then, Starblind: It goes E, C, D then G, F#, E. The G, F#, E progression comes in where the D chord is held in Infinite Dreams. This is, in fact, the same chord progression which is used in The Legacy (listen from 6:56 onwards).

I think singing the Infinite Dreams vocal line on top of the Starblind chord progression sounds very forced. The key change, though, is similar, from E to G. But going from there to say the songs sound similar is a very far stretch in my ears.

By the way, I don't see it mentioned by anyone else: In The Talisman, after about 6:46, there is a sweet reference to The Unbeliever. I see the Fonzbear compares that part to Lord of the Flies, but I really think it has much more of a "The Unbeliever" feel to it. Especially since the guitar follows.

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, I don't see it mentioned by anyone else: In The Talisman, after about 6:46, there is a sweet reference to The Unbeliever. I see the Fonzbear compares that part to Lord of the Flies, but I really think it has much more of a "The Unbeliever" feel to it. Especially since the guitar follows.

Yes, definitely. It was in the back of my mind, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

One more: The little part between the chorus and the guitar solos in El Dorado first reminds me of The Longest Day, then later on Tailgunner.
Also I see several mentions of Lord of Light, but not this one: I think the verse of The Man Who Would Be King starting at 2:25 has much the same feel as the verse of Lord of Light (from 1:46). The chords are not the same, and definitely not the vocal line, but I still hear a clear connection. Another song that I think of when listening to this, is The Thin Line Between Love And Hate (the verse).

I just realized this thread existed.  Elsewhere I noted that the guitar riffs on 'Isle of Avalon' between 7th and 8th minute sound like 'No More Lies' riffs intro.

LooseCannon said:
Ugh…Bruce butchers  Sign of the Cross
:eek: I love the 'Rock in Rio' version of 'Sign of the Cross'. Don't get me wrong, the original studio version with Blaze is fantastic as well but I've never found anything at fault with Bruce's attempt at it.

With respect to parts of songs from 'The Final Frontier' which remind of other songs, I was listening to 'The Man who would be King' earlier and I didn't recognise it at first because I thought the intro sounded like'Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger'. When I first heard 'El Dorado' I thought that the opening guitar part before the riff was the same as 'Wasted Years'.

The beginning of the instrumental section on Isle Of Avalon is just like the main riff from Paschendale and then he modulates to A when Dave starts soloing.

Back