And the 2013 setlist was....

Hallowed and Infinite Dreams are right at the bottom of the list. The encore that never was. :(

Hallowed and Infinite Dreams are right at the bottom of the list. The encore that never was. :(
I doubt it was supposed to be an encore, they were probably just shuffled to the bottom of the list when the band decided to swap them out of the setlist.

Probably. But it shows they were considered at one time.
When Nicko and Rod were on Eddie Trunk's radio show last year before the tour, Nicko talked about Infinite Dreams and how they cut it from the set for ATSS. I never actually heard the audio, just people quoting on the Fanclub Forum.

I wonder if Iron Maiden have ever considered changing the setlist every night like Dream Theater and Avantasia do (plus plenty other bands I'm sure). It would mean they could play every song they wanted to and probably make the tour a little bit more interesting along the way (although I doubt that Iron Maiden tours are boring).

I'm 99.9% positive that they've never considered it.

Dream Theater are all highly-trained musicians with degrees and everything. Maiden are a bunch of really good players who like to have fun and put on a good show. Their audience expects spectacle, they want a show and the band wants to give them a show.

Most DT fans want to watch the band be impressive. They can change the set every night and get away with it because they are a higher caliber of musician. I'm not saying Maiden are slouches at all, but hell, Jordan sight-reads every song live anyway, he doesn't have to learn anything.

Without meaning to appear critical of Iron Maiden's talents, their songs aren't nearly as technical as Dream Theater's so shouldn't be as difficult to remember. :p I can't claim I know much about Avantasia's musicianship, but half the touring ban are session musicians so they might not have been part of the original recording of a lot of the songs. Plus it's not like the guys in Maiden are stupid either. I'm pretty sure Bruce could develop Alzheimer's and he'd still be mumbling the words to 'The Number of the Beast' and 'The Trooper' in the Metal Care Home.

When I saw Maiden for the first time, they mixed up the setlist few times - played 2 Minutes before Wrathchild, and H started playing Wasted Years instead of The Trooper. It was first day of the tour. Imagine them mixing up the setlist every night, it'd be a big mess.

I'm not saying they are stupid in any way, but their setlist demands are completely different. Their main goal is delivering a powerful show.

I don't care which way you slice it, a band playing completely different songs every night is not going to be as powerful as a band perfecting every song in a set. Let's not even mention the lights, pyro, animatronics, and camera show that goes into every Maiden gig, based specifically on the set.

Dream Theater, though incredible musicians, are absolutely one of the least entertaining live bands I've ever seen.

I'm not suggesting wholesale changes every night, just a song here or there. A lot of people go to multiple shows on each tour so it would be nice to see one or two different songs.

I'm 99.9% positive that they've never considered it.

Dream Theater are all highly-trained musicians with degrees and everything. Maiden are a bunch of really good players who like to have fun and put on a good show. Their audience expects spectacle, they want a show and the band wants to give them a show.

Most DT fans want to watch the band be impressive. They can change the set every night and get away with it because they are a higher caliber of musician. I'm not saying Maiden are slouches at all, but hell, Jordan sight-reads every song live anyway, he doesn't have to learn anything.
Most of this is very untrue. Maiden put on a good show yes, but they put the music first and always perform it well. They could still do this with rotating setlists, it would just be very difficult to put together. They'd need to rehearse a lot more. Plus, it's not like Maiden play the same highly technical music as Dream Theater. Hell, a good chunk of their songs use the same chord progressions. Memorizing a bunch of Maiden songs is a lot easier than memorizing a bunch of DT songs.

Also, Jordan Rudess absolutely doesn't sight read his music live. No idea where that came from. He rehearses the shit out of that music before going on tour. You can even see videos of him practicing online. Jordan isn't some godly being who magically gets the skill to play that music. He's a great musician because he practices and continues to learn.

Most of this is very untrue. Maiden put on a good show yes, but they put the music first and always perform it well. They could still do this with rotating setlists, it would just be very difficult to put together. They'd need to rehearse a lot more. Plus, it's not like Maiden play the same highly technical music as Dream Theater. Hell, a good chunk of their songs use the same chord progressions. Memorizing a bunch of Maiden songs is a lot easier than memorizing a bunch of DT songs.

I never said that they aren't putting the music first and foremost. In fact, I believe that they stick to the same songs because they are putting the music first and foremost. If they swapped more than a couple songs during the run of tour, chances are those songs would not be as well rehearsed, and thus, would not be as tight live.

Also, Jordan Rudess absolutely doesn't sight read his music live. No idea where that came from. He rehearses the shit out of that music before going on tour. You can even see videos of him practicing online. Jordan isn't some godly being who magically gets the skill to play that music. He's a great musician because he practices and continues to learn.

I can absolutely swear that I've seen a interview with Jordan during a soundcheck in which he has digital sheet music on the top of his keyboard. Can't remember where it was, but if I'm making this up...I have a very overactive imagination.

Back