And the 2013 setlist was....

I never said that they aren't putting the music first and foremost. In fact, I believe that they stick to the same songs because they are putting the music first and foremost. If they swapped more than a couple songs during the run of tour, chances are those songs would not be as well rehearsed, and thus, would not be as tight live.
Well that's what I mean, they'd have to rehearse more to pull that off. All it takes is some extra practice time. I get that they probably don't have that time, but the point still stands.

I can absolutely swear that I've seen a interview with Jordan during a soundcheck in which he has digital sheet music on the top of his keyboard. Can't remember where it was, but if I'm making this up...I have a very overactive imagination.
Well yea, he has sheet music on stage but that's not sight reading. Sight reading is when you play a piece of music you've never seen before. He says that he uses the sheet music because he got so used to reading when studying at Julliard since he was 9. It's a comfort thing.

Well that's what I mean, they'd have to rehearse more to pull that off. All it takes is some extra practice time. I get that they probably don't have that time, but the point still stands.

Well yea, he has sheet music on stage but that's not sight reading. Sight reading is when you play a piece of music you've never seen before. He says that he uses the sheet music because he got so used to reading when studying at Julliard since he was 9. It's a comfort thing.

Valid points. With Maiden, I don't think they have, nor want to spend, the time rehearsing that much. Other than 'arry, who lives and breathes the music.

As far as Jordan, I still say it makes it easier to play the songs. Obviously, there is no doubting his talent, the man is a prodigy.

Maybe, I know a few musicians who play better without reading music. They get so caught up in the notes on the page that they forget to play musically.

That's how I am. I can't stand reading it. Lyrics are a different story. I usually memorize the music and use lyrics sheets, especially if I'm playing songs that I don't really love (i.e. covers for a bar gig).

I had the pleasure to hear Maiden at Download and Rock in Rio, and I was impressed by the setlist

1) Moonchild - A good, strong song and great way to kick off the set.

2) Can I play with Madness - Although I think the song is decent, I would've preferred another song, such as Wrathchild, Sanctuary or ROOTM somewhere within the setlist

3) The Prisoner - Good song, fan favourite, but unfortunately let down by song's vocal capabilities. Bruce's advanced age appears to be catching up with him, as I noticed he had a few noticeable vocal problems

4) 2 Minutes to Midnight - Decent song. Although, someone should remind Bruce of his error during En Vivo ("It's a brand new song from 1982...")

5) Afraid to shoot strangers - Good, slow song, but seemed to serve as filler

6) The Trooper - Fan favourite, sing-along

7) The Number of the Beast - Love this song, but I think it needs to be retired. Bruce struggles with the scream, so I believe that songs with Bruce's signature wail be toned down to save Bruce's voice

8) Phantom of the Opera - Fantastic, operatic-style metal at its best

9) Run to the Hills - Decent rocker

10) Wasted Years - Perfect, melancholic song for this late in Maiden's storied career

11) Seventh Son - Perfect, rarely-heard crowd pleaser

12) The Clairvoyant - Would've chosen Infinite Dreams

13) Fear of the Dark - Haunting, epic storytelling, and one of the best epics

14) Iron Maiden - Although people complain that it's decent and overplayed, it will continue to be carried through Maiden's concerts as Maiden's sing-along, signature track

Encores
1) Aces High - Perfect way to begin Encore, as if concert was restarting

2) The Evil That Men Do - Distinctly average, would've replaced with Hallowed Be Thy Name

3) Running Free - Again, overplayed, but great way to end a concert. Due to it being short, and having relatively similar sounds throughout, the song is extended so Bruce can interact with the crowd to give them an enjoyable end to an enjoyable concert. Highlights being Bruce promoting Trooper Beer on stage, and discovering Nicko to be attractive to small, furry animals

Back