Amorphis

How to start the next Amorphis Survivor?

• Total voters
I know he has the thing for ages but I think he needs to ditch the dumb microphone. It's dumb to constantly block your face when you're the lead singer.

I like the choruses a lot but the 2:55 - 3:55 minute drags.

ThinkstockPhotos-72984072.jpg

Noice. I heard the album once. Too early to tell how it is considering I didn't like Under The Red Cloud at first, but now it's my favorite Amorphis album :p

Btw. added a poll, go and vote.

Voted for first album onwards, as I'm still not really familiar with the pre-Joutsen era. Also, we need time to let a new album sink in before voting.

Loving the new album. Only listened to it twice so far but it’s grabbed me much quicker than under the red cloud did, although that turned out to be a cracking album. Think I might not have been in the right mood when I first heard that one.

Voted to start survivor from the first album although for me I’m not overly familiar with the first album. Tales from a thousand lakes is where I started with Amorphis. That video for black winter day was awesome back in the day and been a fan ever since.

I'm finding it very slow to process. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I actually find it hasn't clicked quickly the way Red Cloud did.

I've listened to this album twice now and so far I really, really like it. As Brigs said, it hasn't clicked the way Red Cloud did, but it's getting there.

I feel like there is more traditional/different instrumentation on this album than before, lots of random solos and bits from wind instruments, folksy stringed things that I can't quite recognize, etc. I love these inclusions, they're part of what make this band so interesting. Also, there's a good amount of proggy, complicated-sounding riffs that jump out right away.

So far, I actually think the last two songs (including the one with Anneke) are the weakest.

It's certainly not easy listening. I'm not very taken by the saxophone bits. Definitely creative use of a variety of instruments, and choral stuff, though. Still hasn't quite landed yet for me.

Back