Amorphis

How to start the next Amorphis Survivor?

• Total voters
Really? Mustn't have been on the version I've got. They've released it as a collectable vinyl anyway.

Last edited:
Esa Holopainen is releasing a solo album

Here it is! The moody cover art work created by Metastazis for my self-titled debut album, scheduled for release on May 28th via Nuclear Blast!
Over the last few years, I have been writing a lot of music, and some of the stuff hasn't exactly sounded like Amorphis. When Nino Laurenne, owner of Sonic Pump Studios called me late March, I already had three decent-sounding SILVER LAKE songs in stock. These tracks, entitled 'Sentiment', 'Ray of Light' and 'Promising Sun', worked as the backbone for the full solo album.
At first, I really didn't know if the album would turn out to be purely instrumental or would there be vocalists as well. However, one thing was certain, I wouldn't be the singer of SILVER LAKE. Therefore I started to ask several friends and favourite singers of mine that joined me from their home studios on these 9 new tracks to be featured on "Silver Lake By Esa Holopainen":

1. Silver Lake (instrumental)
2. Sentiment (feat. Jonas Renkse of Katatonia)
3. Storm (feat. Håkan Hemlin of Nordman)
4. Ray Of Light (feat. Einar Solberg of Leprous)
5. Alkusointu (feat. Vesa-Matti Loiri)
6. In Her Solitude (feat Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis)
7. Promising Sun (feat. Björn 'Speed' Strid of Soilwork / The Night Flight Orchestra)
8. Fading Moon (feat. Anneke Van Giersbergen)
9. Apprentice (feat. Jonas Renkse of Katatonia)

151470044_112440944191062_3398089060952185675_o.jpg

Some very interesting choices of vocalists there. Very interested to hear what Anneke and Jonas can add to this. Radically different vocal styles here, but I like both of them for completely different reasons.

Amorphis are going to premiere the second music video from their forthcoming album tomorrow

Album released yesterday and I've still been too lazy to download it! Finished work for the week, so Amorphis listening day it is tomorrow.

Still digesting Halo.

It's certainly not an easy listen and I can see why a few people have described it as more prog than Amorphis' previous albums - fiddly time changes and so on. Lots of orchestral stuff and some choral additions too, but otherwise quite heavy. I don't think there are as many hooks as previous Amorphis material, but there are certainly some hallmarks of Amorphis guitar, keyboard and vocal melodies in there.

I'm sure it'll grow, this band rarely fail to deliver. ;)

I really enjoy it so far! I've listened twice and it still definitely needs some digesting.

The first three tracks are great, especially The Moon! A New Land and When The Gods Came are also pretty great.

I don't think there are as many hooks as previous Amorphis material, but there are certainly some hallmarks of Amorphis guitar, keyboard and vocal melodies in there.
I agree with this, especially regarding the clean vocals. They always sound good, but nothing on this album has instantly become an earworm for me. I felt the same way about Queen of Time, though, so maybe that's just how they're writing these days.

Back