Amon Amarth

Nah, all of their albums are melodeath. Pure death metal is stuff like Immolation and Suffocation, Amon Amarth was always more melodic.

True, but their first albums are less melodic..and more aggressive. Starting to write big catchy riffs is what really opened them up as a band

I believe this is the song that really turned things around for them, their breakthrough if you will....This song was played everywhere by everyone when it came out:

Any metal party you went to between 2004 and 2008. I agree with that, it was everywhere at the time. Of course, this observation would be limited to the countries in which Amon Amarth were successful at the time, which probably means Northern and Central Europe.

In the metal community I mean, it really garnered a lot of attention. I believe that song may have doubled their fan base. It was very popular.

I remember at Wacken 05 Amon Amarth "Pursuit of Vikings" was played at every tent party I was at there :D

Indeed. I remember that. Also you had to listen to the intro 5 times or so (before hearing the rest of the song) because someone would always hit repeat/rewind on the stereo because the intro riff was the most popular...

I don't think they mellowed much in terms of style... they changed the producer and softened the production, and obviously made much catchier songs, but the style is just as heavy.
Some of the songs are different, stylewise I think. Indeed slower, midtempo, but also more calmer parts, and simpler and less busy rhythms and beats ("less is more"). More comparable with e.g. recent Amorphis. You could see it as heavy metal with grunts. I have nothing against that. Six Feet Under also have material that is less aggressive, more simple and catchy (although less melodic). Looking forward to later albums!

Last edited:
After having played the first half of Fate of Norns I do not only find the title track better than The Pursuit Of Vikings: The first three songs of the album are all better. I realize that Pursuit is very popular and a (possibly never disappearing?) concert staple. The couplets are cool, with their groovy and heavy riffing, but to me it falls back in the rest of the song. At the end I am even getting impatient ("when is this over?").

edit:
A second listening to the whole album and I am already more positive than earlier:
I have already "concluded" that Versus the World is my favourite album, from the first 5 (have already heard Fate of Norns but clearly found the majority of it less captivating than its predecessor; the title track is one of the best Amon Amarth songs I know, though).
Now, I find the beginning (first three songs) of the album very strong. Then two lesser songs (the two least). Then three good songs again. So, overall, surely, still not that good as Vs, but certainly good!

Last edited:
OK, finally getting around to playing Twilight of the Thunder God now. Let's see how this goes.

As a first reaction: yes, the growls are now much better. They no longer put me in "urge to kill rising" mode.

Everyone makes a big deal about Thunder God, and don't get me wrong, it's got some great songs, but I think With Oden On Our Side is vastly superior. Every song is awesome.

Agreed. With Oden on our Side is the album I'd give out to people if I wanted to show them AA. Additionally, I think Thunder God was more of an immediate impact, whereas With Oden took a bit longer to appreciate. Thunder God was my favourite AA album initially, but that has since moved to With Oden.

So I'm finally losing my Amarth virginity. I'm halfway through Twilight of the Thunder God and it amazing! How could this band evade me for so long? :edmetal:

Not that I ever was a melodeath connoisseur - I like pretty much everything, but this is really ejoyable! Gimme more! After this one I'll move to the universally beloved Oden. :)

Back