Amon Amarth

Started checking these guys out last night, going from the start of the discog. Music ranges from OK to good but the vocals - no way.

Since everyone seems to like it, I'll give that Twilight album a spin soon, but if the vocalist still sounds like a beat-up food processor it won't last long.

Listen to With Oden on Our Side and Twilight of the Thunder God. His vocals are still guttural growls, but they get way better. Also, those albums are awesome. I highly recommend Oden.

He develops a really distinctive, deep growl, and the music gets more melodic. You might be best off listening to something like Twilight of the Thunder God first.

If you can tolerate growls in Opeth, it's even easier in AA, since Johan's growls are more understandable... IMO.

Fact is, Amon Amarth made a significant leap in quality with Vs. the Gods. The early albums have some real gems on them, but generally speaking, I'm not overly fond of them.

Still busy with Surtur Rising! 3rd album now!

It took a while to sink in, but somehow the music reminds me sometimes of Bolt Thrower, but then much faster of course.

I like some Bolt Thrower, but they aren't as melodic or epic as Amon Amarth and their vocalist is incredibly boring. What are the other 2 albums you've heard? :)

By the way, it took the band 3 years to release the stuff on DVD. I wonder how much time went into some "rework" of instruments. :p
Very tight sounding gigs!

They released the audio CD's as bonuses on the re-release of first 4 albums in 2009 :p

It's possible that the label didn't want to release a solo DVD so they had to put it as a bonus on the new album.

Fact is, Amon Amarth made a significant leap in quality with Vs. the Gods. The early albums have some real gems on them, but generally speaking, I'm not overly fond of them.
Playing the first four in a row (live) certainly shows me that Versus the World is mellower (softer and less aggressive are also appropriate terms imo). Not sure how this continued on later albums, but I can imagine it helped them breaking through to a wider audience.

Last edited:
Playing the first four in a row (live) certainly shows me that Versus the World is mellower (softer and less aggressive are also appropriate terms imo). Not sure how this continued on later albums, but I can imagine it helped them breaking through to a wider audience.

Yeah they definitely mellowed from Versus the world onwards, but I prefer the later albums to the earlier ones.

They seem to have perfected their sound by mellowing out a bit. The early albums have some gems, but they sound more like other bands and less like themselves.

I don't think they mellowed much in terms of style... they changed the producer and softened the production, and obviously made much catchier songs, but the style is just as heavy.

I guess you could argue that Vs the World and Fate of Norns are somewhat mellow by their standards - albeit still brilliant, musically. But With Oden on Our Side is punchy, and Twilight of the Gods is just all-round awesome.

Maybe "slowed down" is a better description. I would agree that they didn't get less heavy. In fact, they probably got more heavy, but the tempos came down and the fierceness turned into heaviness, like the band switched from wielding swords to wielding spiked hammers.

Well, their first albums are pure Death Metal. Then they started to focus a lot more on melody and heavy catchy riffs instead of just brutality and that won them a lot more broader appeal and a bigger fanbase.

Back