Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

I don't know if this has been discussed at that time, but while I was watching TGU video of Book of Souls Live Chapter I realized that in addition to the capo, H was playing the LP Custom with only 5 strings.

It's visible starting with 4:40.

I am not a guitar expert, but I was wondering what type of strange tuning was that. @matic22 - feel free to intervene :)

I don't know if this has been discussed at that time, but while I was watching TGU video of Book of Souls Live Chapter I realized that in addition to the capo, H was playing the LP Custom with only 5 strings.

I am not a guitar expert, but I was wondering what type of strange tuning was that. @matic22 - feel free to intervene :)
I think Adrian said it’s some sort of open D and uses a capo on the second fret
Edit: about halfway through this article

My guess (considering how he is fretting) is:

D-A-D-A-D, capoed at 2nd fret, with the with the G string (That would be F# or F in this tuning, and would determine if it's an major or a minor open tunning) missing.

P.S. I went to the Brooklyn video where H plays a little improvised solo at the end to research this... And realised: fucking hell was H near falling into the pit at 6:36...

Last edited:
Steve has gone the Geddy Lee route and now has a signature SansAmp...

Sort of surprising, but also not really since I feel like a lot of bassists for even semi-old bands have largely switched away from the typical amp + cab combo, let alone newer ones which may have never even used anything other than modeling units like Axe-FX IIs. Even Steve's live sound is from a DI box if I'm not mistaken.

Sort of surprising, but also not really since I feel like a lot of bassists for even semi-old bands have largely switched away from the typical amp + cab combo, let alone newer ones which may have never even used anything other than modeling units like Axe-FX IIs. Even Steve's live sound is from a DI box if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, but there is still that old Alectron Hiwatt clone preamp, he has used since Powerslave, which is in the chain before the DI...

I also think Steve's tone is a combo of a mic and DI, too bad Pooch didn't talk about that in the video he did 2 years ago.

Yeah, but there is still that old Alectron Hiwatt clone preamp, he has used since Powerslave, which is in the chain before the DI...

I also think Steve's tone is a combo of a mic and DI, too bad Pooch didn't talk about that in the video he did 2 years ago.
I know. But is it really that big of a difference going from a preamp to a DI to just a SansAmp instead?

I'm almost certain it was mentioned somewhere even Steve's tone is just DI and the mic on the cab is specifically for the monitor mix. I could be wrong, but then that's also a very, very common setup these days so I would be surprised if they were still using the mics for the mix.

I know. But is it really that big of a difference going from a preamp to a DI to just a SansAmp instead?

I'm almost certain it was mentioned somewhere even Steve's tone is just DI and the mic on the cab is specifically for the monitor mix. I could be wrong, but then that's also a very, very common setup these days so I would be surprised if they were still using the mics for the mix.

AFAIK almost all big touring bands have 2-3 channels of bass. I'm almost certain that Steve's tone is a mix of DI and cab microphone.

For example Geddy Lee's tone on R40 was a combination of Axe Fx splitting the signal into: a line of Axe Fx amp simulation (DI 1), 1 line of his Tech 21 prototype (DI 2) and Orange bass amps through Palmer Speaker Simulator (PDI03).

I'm almost certain that Pooch has at least 2 channels of bass at his disposal. He even has 3 channels for every guitar (TUL, Sm57 and PDI03)

Steve doesn’t use in ears, Nicko said somewhere he likes to really turn up his amp. I doubt that that’s just for the stage. Combination with DI maybe, but does he even use his sansamp at all, or isn‘t it more aimed at other bass players who want to easily/ affordably emulate his sound?

Here, from the early days (76/77?) Steve plays a nice-looking sunburst Fender Jazz bass. This might be the same as the one pictured with the very first incarnation of the band, in the Cart & Horses.
Does anyone know exactly when he acquired that iconic Precision bass?

1582187123363.png1582187305140.png

Steve doesn’t use in ears, Nicko said somewhere he likes to really turn up his amp. I doubt that that’s just for the stage. Combination with DI maybe, but does he even use his sansamp at all, or isn‘t it more aimed at other bass players who want to easily/ affordably emulate his sound?

I think Steve uses his SansAmp with BL now, because it's too expensive to ship 2 cabs and fridge sized rack for this tour.

He uses his SansAmp with British Lion, so that he can get his tone anywhere (Maybe they're renting their backline) .

Yup :)

Question, does anyone know if fender closed production of Steve signature bass? I can't find it anywhere.

Back