Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Does anyone know who routed the body on The Kassoff Strat ('57 PartCaster) for the conversion to humbuckers? '77? I'm trying to establish a realistic timeline for "Super Strats". Ed might not have been first.
Ed most likely wasn't first.

Kossoff Strat was likely painted by Dave himself. Who did the route is a mistery.

That’s a cool looking Strat.

I think the middle pickup is actually a Vintage Rails due to the split in the middle of the rails. It also looks like each rail is half black, half chrome. Like this:

Can't wait to see this new guitar with those three new output jacks installed. The additional cables will give Janick something extra to twirl around stage with on the upcoming tour.:innocent:

View attachment 34894

New Strat for Janick, it seems. Non locking Floyd on this one.
If this is a new Janick guitar, a potential hint or not? He usually does not use new guitars, except for IESF.

This Strat looks like the one he used for Final Frontier live. The Three Amigos love this combination of white & black.

If this is a new Janick guitar, a potential hint or not? He usually does not use new guitars, except for IESF.

This Strat looks like the one he used for Final Frontier live. The Three Amigos love this combination of white & black.
It's not. That one was reliced and had a tortoise pickguard.

This is a new guitar. Possibly a Sandberg or a custom shop Strat. Could also be Eddie's personal guitar tho, however, he plays guitars with full humbuckers usually.

If it's Janick's guitar, it seems very atypical. Tele knobs, Tele-switch on a Strat pickguard (at least)? Only thing screamin' Janick about that is the JB Jr. (or Lil' 59) bridge pickup.

For me - playing a Candy Cola American Standard Strat with JB Jr:s looking like a slightly shinier and red version of Janick's black Strat - it seems awfully stupid of Fender not to capitalize on the whole of Maiden. I'd argue anyone that Janick's black Strat (and its customshop replicas) in fact is the most iconic Iron Maiden guitar as of 2024. Dave's dual DiMarzio'ed black Strat was long ago.

I'd argue anyone that Janick's black Strat (and its customshop replicas) in fact is the most iconic Iron Maiden guitar as of 2024. Dave's dual DiMarzio'ed black Strat was long ago.
Overall? Nah. That goes to H's Goldtop and Davey's 1957 and 1964 Strats.

Stage used as of now? I'd argue it's a tie between it and Davey's California Series Tobacco sunburst. Why? Because this black Strat isn't the original. It's a Custom shop replica from 1998-1999, when Jan retired all original guitars, with the exception of White Spirit Strat.

Either way I think that Janick should have his own signature (white and black). However i think that cost vs market is maybe not exactly there since Janick prefers heavy relic guitars and that can cost a lot.
That's not a problem, as they started doing relics at the Mexican plant lately. It's more the fact that it's just a 60's Strat with custom pickups.

That said, Seymour Duncan should offer Janick Gers loaded pickguards.

That said, Seymour Duncan should offer Janick Gers loaded pickguards.
Janick doesn't have the same traction and status as Dave, so that would probably not pan out too well. Those that would actually buy it might just have his configuration soldered by a tech, or it it themselves.

On the other hand - Janick guitar is more hard rock machine than Dave signature is. I would say that Janick setup and relic look can have bigger market outside of Iron Maiden fans that Dave strat. When I see Dave sunburst strat I think Iron Maiden and idea of playing anything else on that guitar sounds almost strange. Jan on another hand has guitar that would probably fit well into any rock band.

Tricky topic.

On the other hand - Janick guitar is more hard rock machine than Dave signature is. I would say that Janick setup and relic look can have bigger market outside of Iron Maiden fans that Dave strat. When I see Dave sunburst strat I think Iron Maiden and idea of playing anything else on that guitar sounds almost strange. Jan on another hand has guitar that would probably fit well into any rock band.

Tricky topic.
That's where H's Jackson comes to play. Most versatile guitar by far. A 500€ SDX has been my main guitar for 5 years now, despite having 2 LPs now, a Strat, a HSS Charvel... New pickups and a good setup and you are good to go. Played it on 2/3 of the wedding 50-song sets that have all kinds of rubbish in them plus I usually play it on most of the stuff with my band. Will replace the bridge soon, tho.

I'd argue anyone that Janick's black Strat (and its customshop replicas) in fact is the most iconic Iron Maiden guitar as of 2024. Dave's dual DiMarzio'ed black Strat was long ago.
If you show that Strat to any average metal fan they won't know who plays that guitar. Janick's guitar is iconic only in the Iron Maiden fandom.

Although I agree that Janick's configuration is more "flexible" in terms of genres different than Heavy metal than Dave's (not Adrian's). Dave's is basically a power Strat. But if you're doing a signature model, the main market base you're aiming at are the fans of the guy who "signs" the guitar, not a general base.

Back