Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Also, Jan has a new sunburst strat with jb-rails-jb that he played on 2 songs. It is a Fender, not a Sandberg.
I meant to ask: what two songs did he play it on? I think I saw Jan used it on
The Time Machine

Last edited:
On the topic of the sunburst Strat Janick has been using, I think I may have accidentally figured out what it is. It seems to be a pre-2008 American Standard.

I initially assumed it was just another Custom Shop Strat, just with the typical JB Jr-Hot Rails-JB Jr setup. However, I noticed something interesting in this video. The camera just caught a glimpse of the video screens in the arena where I noticed my first clue: block saddles instead of bent steel saddles.

Okay, so what's the big deal? Can't a vintage style Strat have modern saddles? Yes, of course! I actually prefer block saddles myself. That said, when I noticed this, I just became even more curious.

I kept rewatching those 3 seconds to see if it had a 2-Point bridge. Unfortunately, because of the brevity of that clip I couldn't tell. Little did I know the Instagram algorithm would help me out.

So, in these two clips, we notice a few things:
  • The 2-Point bridge & modern Fender tuners.
  • The offset intonation screws on the block saddles - used from 1986-2007 on American Standard Strats.
  • The white plastic tip on the tremolo arm
  • And the normal, square neck heel
The two point bridge & modern tuners are obvious features on modern Stratocasters. The offset screws, however, reduce the likelihood that it is a post-2008 American Standard/Professional/Professional II. The plastic trem arm tip shows me that it probably not an American Deluxe/Elite/Ultra Strat. Finally, the square heel makes it even more unlikely that it is any of the previously mentioned models, as many of those feature a contoured heel.

Now, I could be totally wrong on all of this, and maybe it's just been modified. BUT I think the evidence points toward it being a pre-2008 American Standard Strat. Ultimately none of this matters, but hey, why not have fun and be a nerd on a fan forum?:D

Thank you all for coming to my TED talk.

Edit: I just saw this comment underneath the second Instagram video. It says Janick has had the guitar for a while.
Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 8.06.15 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
On the topic of the sunburst Strat Janick has been using, I think I may have accidentally figured out what it is. It seems to be a pre-2008 American Standard.

I initially assumed it was just another Custom Shop Strat, just with the typical JB Jr-Hot Rails-JB Jr setup. However, I noticed something interesting in this video. The camera just caught a glimpse of the video screens in the arena where I noticed my first clue: block saddles instead of bent steel saddles.

Okay, so what's the big deal? Can't a vintage style Strat have modern saddles? Yes, of course! I actually prefer block saddles myself. That said, when I noticed this, I just became even more curious.

I kept rewatching those 3 seconds to see if it had a 2-Point bridge. Unfortunately, because of the brevity of that clip I couldn't tell. Little did I know the Instagram algorithm would help me out.

• The offset intonation screws on the block saddles - used from 1986-2007 on American Standard Strats.
The two point bridge & modern tuners are obvious features on modern Stratocasters. The offset screws, however, reduce the likelihood that it is a post-2008 American Standard/Professional/Professional II. The plastic trem arm tip shows me that it probably not an American Deluxe/Elite/Ultra Strat. Finally, the square heel makes it even more unlikely that it is any of the previously mentioned models, as many of those feature a contoured heel.

Now, I could be totally wrong on all of this, and maybe it's just been modified. BUT I think the evidence points toward it being a pre-2008 American Standard Strat. Ultimately none of this matters, but hey, why not have fun and be a nerd on a fan forum?:D

Edit: I just saw this comment underneath the second Instagram video. It says Janick has had the guitar for a while.
I think this guitar was seen during TFF rehearsals played on El Dorado IIRC, while the Sandberg was played on WTWWB. On the recently uploaded 2008 Janick rig rundown he stated that he left one guitar at home (I guess this one).

And it seems like Time Machine is the second double drop D in Maiden history after IESF.

BTW, Janick is using the white main Strat as much as the black one this year. If not more.

Just a reminder that we are not enforcing a spoiler policy. Don't feel like you have to be overly vigilant about spoilers, someone trying to avoid them shouldn't be on this forum in the first place.

Just for the sake of curiosity, which year is this picture from?

Pinterest says 1984 but I doubt it.

790ea450f521445267859b5f96847cc8.jpg

I'm watching some pictures from the Robert Ellis Book and this picture can belongs to somewhere on the World Piece Tour 83. He has the same costume but with the blue bass. This red bass could be the 2nd one

Last edited:
Yup. Nicko, Steve and Dave got tattoos during Piece Of Mind rehearsals.
Steve had tattoos in 1984 I think
Yes, that's one of the main reasons I doubt it's from 1984, plus in that year Steve usually sported a different outfit.

Ljubljana, 19 August, 1984

That's before Piece of Mind for sure, I thought it from 1982 maximum, at first. But I'm not sure.

These other pictures (unfortunately, BW) may be from the same year and this source dates the first one to 1982.

steve-harris.jpg
085e164f0dbe57f4078a52506a5d4af5.jpg

Just a marginal note: Janick played a sunburst Strat on From Here to Eternity on Raising Hell. AFAIK, it's its only occurrence on screen (bootlegs included).

I'm not saying it's the same :D
Yeah. I think I've also seen him play it on RTTH from that time period also. I remember reading in an interview that he tried using a guitar with single-coils live, but couldn't work it out due to the 50/60s cycle hum (so many lights/strobes etc onstage). That sunburst guitar has single-coils in it, so I assume that's the guitar he was talking about.

Yeah. I think I've also seen him play it on RTTH from that time period also. I remember reading in an interview that he tried using a guitar with single-coils live, but couldn't work it out due to the 50/60s cycle hum (so many lights/strobes etc onstage). That sunburst guitar has single-coils in it, so I assume that's the guitar he was talking about.
He was talking about his pre/early-Maiden years IIRC. He tried single coils but it didn't work well, then the mini humbuckers came out and he progressively mounted them on his guitars.

Here you can see his rig in his Gillan years. Most of his guitars had single coils but a couple had already been customized.

Just checked. This current sunburst Strat was played on El Dorado in 2010. At that time still with original pickups.

Also, it has 22 frets which is unusual for Janick.
All the more reason for it to be an American Standard lol.

Also, I love that we have a thread just to nerd out about the guitars these guys use! I never would've known Janick used this in 2010 too

Back