Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

AFAIK, this was just a backup for the Burgundy/CAR Jackson. I think H got Dave in contact with Jackson before he left IM, because Dave at that point wanted to retire the Kossoff strat and Jackson were able to do copies of necks (H's Jackson neck is a 22 fret copy of his 1957 Stratocaster).

So in short, the specs should be Floyd, alder body and a maple neck based on the Kossoff strat. The pickups should be Duncan JB and 59/Jazz. However, from the photos, it seems like the white strat had Jackson pickups in it (as did Adrian's) or even DiMarzios. Bridge pickup was soon changed to a white humbucker. There is also a question of chicken or the egg... Which Strat was first, this one or the burgundy one, but considering the later was used on NPFTD, I'd guess the later and the white one was built for the tour as a backup. AFAIK, during NPFTD warm up gig, the 1964 Strat was used as a backup.
Thank you very much for telling me!! The story about is very interesting, I didn't know that H got Dave in contact with Jackson due to the Kossoff Strat retirement, and I also didn't know this guitar was a backup for the CAR Jackson, and yes, the pickups seem to be JB and 59/Jazz. Thanks, again!!

Attachments

• 1980 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dave Murray _ Dennis Stratton _80 Guitars.jpg
    1980 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dave Murray _ Dennis Stratton _80 Guitars.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1986 - Somewhere in Time - Dave Murray Equipment (Budo Kan Hell) Tokyo_1.jpg
    1986 - Somewhere in Time - Dave Murray Equipment (Budo Kan Hell) Tokyo_1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 1986 - Somewhere in Time - Dave Murray Equipment (Budo Kan Hell) Tokyo 1987.jpg
    1986 - Somewhere in Time - Dave Murray Equipment (Budo Kan Hell) Tokyo 1987.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1981 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dave Murray _81 Guitars.jpg
    1981 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dave Murray _81 Guitars.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1981 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Adrian Smith _81 Guitars.jpg
    1981 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Adrian Smith _81 Guitars.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1981 - Killer World Tour Book (The Equipment)_1.jpg
    1981 - Killer World Tour Book (The Equipment)_1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1981 - Dave Murray _81 Pedalboard (Facebook - Matt_s Guitar Shop).jpg
    1981 - Dave Murray _81 Pedalboard (Facebook - Matt_s Guitar Shop).jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1980 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dennis Stratton _80 Guitars.jpg
    1980 - The Guitar (Japan Magazine) - Dennis Stratton _80 Guitars.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1981 - Young Mates Music Player 1981 (Japan Magazine) - Equipment (Probably 1980 Pedalboards).jpg
    1981 - Young Mates Music Player 1981 (Japan Magazine) - Equipment (Probably 1980 Pedalboards).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1981 - Young Mates Music Player - Japan 1981 - Adrian Smith (Japan Magazine) Facebook Iron Mai...jpg
    1981 - Young Mates Music Player - Japan 1981 - Adrian Smith (Japan Magazine) Facebook Iron Mai...jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Adrian's

Attachments

• Yamaha SB-100 (Used by Adrian Smith in 1982)_1.jpg
    Yamaha SB-100 (Used by Adrian Smith in 1982)_1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Yamaha SB-100 (Used by Adrian Smith in 1982)_2.jpg
    Yamaha SB-100 (Used by Adrian Smith in 1982)_2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1986 - Somewhere - (Steve_s Rack with Pete Cornish Splitter Amps, Hiwatt NCA108 (by Electron),...jpg
    1986 - Somewhere - (Steve_s Rack with Pete Cornish Splitter Amps, Hiwatt NCA108 (by Electron),...jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
I absolutely love Adrians ML, he used it only during the World Piece Tour I think. (To me an ML is the most beautiful guitar ever. Unfortunately, an ML is simply not available in Germany at all.)

On the other hand - Janick guitar is more hard rock machine than Dave signature is. I would say that Janick setup and relic look can have bigger market outside of Iron Maiden fans that Dave strat. When I see Dave sunburst strat I think Iron Maiden and idea of playing anything else on that guitar sounds almost strange. Jan on another hand has guitar that would probably fit well into any rock band.

Tricky topic.
The Dave Murray Strat is an absolute Metal Beast, believe me. :devil2: It is more Metal than Adrians Jackson US Signature model (which is great too), believe me. I have them both.

Nope. Played Chemmical Wedding on it tuned to baritone in 1998/1999.
Ah, yep! You're right, I remember! Do you have an idea where to get a good quality ML? If I don't find one in Europe, I have to get one from the USA... and have to pay 23% custom tax in addition to the regular price :grumble: However, I would do that in the end if nescessary, I really want an ML.

Ah, yep! You're right, I remember! Do you have an idea where to get a good quality ML? If I don't find one in Europe, I have to get one from the USA... and have to pay 23% custom tax in addition to the regular price :grumble: However, I would do that in the end if nescessary, I really want an ML.
No idea, sorry. And H's is a Baby ML. A bit smaller. Try Reverb.

Back