84 out of 86 Iron Maiden songs

Skipping may be a critical exercise for boxers who are training for a bout but I have no time for skippers of Maiden songs. Anyone who skips through Satellite 15 to get to The Final Frontier is missing half the journey.

Wow, a lot of people in this topic took this a bit seriously, and I have a feeling half of them were in regards to my post?

Well, I guess I should have said, I have listened to EVERY single Maiden song at least once. So I am not skipping them because I don't think I wouldn't like them. I'd skip them, if I had my ipod on shuffle for example, just because I didn't care for that particular song. Not because I think Iron Maiden sucks or anything.

Iron Maiden is my favorite band. If I could only pick one band to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be them. I just don't like all of their songs heh

Forostar said:
But when this skipping becomes and stays a habit, then the opportunity is not given to let it grow. Just like an album, a song can also grow.

I agree.  That's why I never skip songs when listening to a CD.  If I'm playing music off of YouTube than that's different.

Demigod_Tyek1230 said:
Wow, a lot of people in this topic took this a bit seriously, and I have a feeling half of them were in regards to my post?

Well, I guess I should have said, I have listened to EVERY single Maiden song at least once. So I am not skipping them because I don't think I wouldn't like them. I'd skip them, if I had my ipod on shuffle for example, just because I didn't care for that particular song. Not because I think Iron Maiden sucks or anything.

Iron Maiden is my favorite band. If I could only pick one band to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be them. I just don't like all of their songs heh

No worries dude.  Skipping songs is completely within your rights, and you are no less of a fan simply because there are songs you'd prefer not to hear.  We are simply posting our own opinion to add discussion to your topic.  You may like 95% percent of Maiden's songs and I might like 100%, but you are no less a fan than me, and I am no greater than you.

Skipping always seems to me to be a bit of a cop-out, so I don't do it, although I suppose it's a bit silly in a way enduring songs that I may not particularly like just for the sake of it.

If I'm listening to a new album then I will skip any tracks I know for a while - or leave them off my iPod - because I don't like listening to albums where I know some tunes well but others not at all.

What I do often do while listening to a whole album, on the other hand, is repeat songs I particularly like, which I suppose is the opposite of skipping.

Abas said:
I have all the songs from Maiden's discography on my music player except for 2

Montsegur
Mother of Mercy

Those 2 are the only Maiden songs I'll never like
I don't have Mother of Mercy either. But because the first time I ripped the CD it was corrupt and I'm too lazy to put it back on.

Here's the list of songs i never listen to individually, only in album runs :

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden, Running Free (i do enjoy and listen to live versions of the latter)
Killers - none
Number Of The Beast - Invaders, Gangland. All others i listen in their live renditions with Nicko, i prefer his drumming style to Clive's. Only album track i put out individually is Total Eclipse.
Piece Of Mind - Sun And Steel, Quest For Fire
Powerslave - Duellists, Flash Of The Blade
Somewhere In Time - none
Seventh Son Of The Seventh Son - Can I Play With Madness, The Prophecy
No Prayer For The Dying - Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, Hooks In You
Fear Of The Dark - now it becomes weird. I do listen to Chains Of Misery, Weekend Warrior, and alikes. I might rank them low, but they are different and somewhat refreshing to stereotype Maiden. So here goes FOTD and FHTE.
The X Factor - none
Virtual XI - none, but i skip to calm part after a minute of TAATG.
Brave New World - i haven't listened to Thin Line Between Love And Hate in a long time
Dance Of Death - Journeyman, Wildest Dreams. Both of the songs i enjoy more in live versions, and Journeyman in "electric" version.
A Matter Of Life And Death - none
The Final Frontier - none

Holy Smoke said:
I'd skip 100%  Iron Maiden and Killers.

I know personal preferences and all, but wow.  Those are two fantastic albums you're skipping.

In a way, and I'll date myself here, I miss tapes and vinyl as you were for the most part forced to endure songs to get to the great ones.  But because of that I came to really enjoy some songs I didn't love at first (Children of the Damned, Still Life, The Duellists, etc.).  These days it's way too easy to just hit skip or delete or next or whatever.  I feel an entire generation is never going to properly understand how a song can grow on someone.

Entire generation won't be saving power by manually rewinding tapes with pencils during class.

I have every album, i woulnt say there is a maiden track i 'dislike' just some i like less than the others :) however, i am a believer that when listening to a maiden album, to skip a track is missing part of the journey through the album.

Donner said:
In a way, and I'll date myself here, I miss tapes and vinyl as you were for the most part forced to endure songs to get to the great ones. 

As someone who started on music when vinyl was the only option I'm not so sure about that - in a way lifting the needle and plonking it down at the appropriate place was easier than with CDs and iPods etc, but you did need a steady hand - but it was certainly a bit more cumbersome with casettes.

I recall that when CDs first came onto the scene I refused to buy them as a point of principle, although I had no real problem with the earlier move from vinyl to casette. Thus I can't really work out my thinking in retrospect, although perhaps I was just miffed that my casette collection had become redundant, and it was a good bit bigger than my vinyl collection!!

At least CDs have stayed around a bit longer than casettes.

If there's a tune I want to listen to, then I'll skip to it. Other than that I'll usually listen to the whole album, or from wherever my iPod stopped last. That said, it takes a uncommon kind of mood to cause me to stick on Fear Of The Dark or No Prayer For The Dying and listen to them all the way through. Normally it's more a case of: "The car journey's almost over, I've listened to half of this live album. There's bound to be time to squeeze in 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', isn't there? It'd be rude not to."

czgibson said:
If there's a tune I want to listen to, then I'll skip to it. Other than that I'll usually listen to the whole album, or from wherever my iPod stopped last. That said, it takes a uncommon kind of mood to cause me to stick on Fear Of The Dark or No Prayer For The Dying and listen to them all the way through. Normally it's more a case of: "The car journey's almost over, I've listened to half of this live album. There's bound to be time to squeeze in 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', isn't there? It'd be rude not to."

This brings up a great point.  Car travel.  I do 95% of my music listening in my car, and I don't have a long drive to work and back.  Sometimes I realize I might only have 10-15 minutes to drive, so I might skip over a few tracks to get to one I particular would like to hear before I park.  In most cases these days, it's Starblind.  I still listen to an entire album in order most times, but there are those rare occasions where I just am in the mood to hear one particular song....usually Starblind.  I like Starblind.  A lot.

Like Zare did, the ones from each album I wouldn't listen to individually:
Iron Maiden: Sanctuary, Charlotte the Harlot
Killers: None.
NOTB: Run to the Hills
Piece of Mind: None, I'll give QFF a listen once in a while.
Powerslave: The Duellists
SIT: None.
SSOASS: Can I Play With Madness
NPFTD: No Prayer for the Dying, The Assassin
Fear of the Dark: The Apparition, The Fugitive
The X Factor: The Unbeliever
Virtual XI: Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger (excluding the awesome last couple minutes!)
BNW: None.
Dance of Death: None suprisingly.
AMOLAD: Out of the Shadows
TFF: None.

The Eclectic said:
although perhaps I was just miffed that my casette collection had become redundant.
I have some 600+ cassettes and no way of listening to them. I have found myself replacing some of them with Cds, fortunately Cds are considerably cheaper in cost than they used to be, though there is no way I will replace all of them as my tastes in music have changed a lot in the past 10 years or so.

I usually don't skip....primarily because songs NEED to grow on you. I find the catchy songs are the one's you end up EVENTUALLY skipping.

However I sadly must admit that I wish Satellite15 was indexed so that I CAN skip it and go straight to FF. I don't hate it but it's too long.....I think it should ended before the quite part where Bruce comes in. approx 4min 20 sec is too long...

Prowler_108 said:
Like Zare did, the ones from each album I wouldn't listen to individually

I don't ban Maiden songs from individual listening sessions.
E.g. I find it essential to listen to a single song, when I want to prepare well for the song judgement topics.

I wouldn't say I ban them, but they're the ones that if I'm making a playlist, or something of that sort I wouldn't put on.

Abas said:
I have all the songs from Maiden's discography on my music player except for 2

Montsegur
Mother of Mercy

Those 2 are the only Maiden songs I'll never like

That's poor, really poor.

Back