84 out of 86 Iron Maiden songs

Holy Smoke

Prowler
I now have 9 IM cd's --- I have counted the total number of songs to be 86, and there are only 2 I would consider skipping over; so, that gives me 84 songs to lose my mind over!! It's good to be an IRON MAIDEN FANATIC!!  Anyone else able to listen to this many (98%) without skipping over some or alot?

The two I would skip:  Judas Be My Guide and From Here To Eternity.

The nine cd's:

Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son...
Fear of the Dark
Brave New World
Dance of Death
A Matter of...
The Final Frontier

Having all of the Iron Maiden albums on my ipod, I would skip...

Iron Maiden--- all of them, because I am not a Paul fan.. if anything I would listen to what I could live from 2005 with Bruce singing

Killers--- all of them, same reason as above. Genghis Kahn I can listen to, because it's an instrumental

The Number Of The Beast--- Gangland, Total Eclipse

Piece Of Mind--- none

Powerslave--- none

Somewhere In Time--- none

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son--- none

No Prayer For The Dying--- every song EXCEPT No Prayer and Tailgunner

Fear Of The Dark--- probably every song, even the title song. If I want to listen to the song Fear of the Dark, I'll pick a live version

The X Factor--- all of them.. again, Bruce is my man. Do not care for Bayley. Sign of the Cross and Lord of the Flies are awesome songs, but I'll just listen to them on Rock In Rio and Death on the Road with Bruce singing.

Virtual XI--- all of them.. again, EXCEPT Futureal, which I would listen to from 1999 live tour with Bruce singing (you seeing the pattern eh?)

Brave New World--- none

Dance Of Death--- Montsegur. This is a tough one. I do not hate the song, but at the same time I can't stand it. Probably nine out of every ten times I'd skip it, listening to it rarely.

Matter Of Life And Death--- none

The Final Frontier--- none

Also have around 25 live concerts of Maiden on ipod... but I won't go into those... heh

Some people rather hear half a nice album instead of a whole album with negative moments. I see that point of view, but at the same time I find skipping a stupid thing to do.

I think that skipping a song can have negative consequences, on the longer term. If one skips a song in an early stage (e.g. one knows the album pretty shortly) because the song is disturbing for its quality/negative impact on the cohesion, I can imagine that there's some kind of urge/impatience to select the next track. In a way, it's logical because the flow should not be interrupted, and there's a need to go to the following cool song.

But when this skipping becomes and stays a habit, then the opportunity is not given to let it grow. Just like an album, a song can also grow.

I think a little differently regarding skipping songs. When one is new to an album, I find it a bad thing to do - because, as you say, one misses the chance to let songs grow on you.

But once one has heard an album in its full length dozens of times, one will have a quite clear impression which songs have growing potential, and which are simply not up to one's taste. Once it is established which songs believe in each group, I don't think anyone should be criticized for skipping songs.

However, there is always the possibility of "rediscovering" a song after someone else points you to particular aspects of the song, that you haven't thought about or cared about.

As for myself, I don't skip songs that often, when I first listen to an album. In this digital age, however, I very often just pick the songs I want to listen to from my music folder, rather than just putting on an album.

Eddies Wingman said:
However, there is always the possibility of "rediscovering" a song after someone else points you to particular aspects of the song, that you haven't thought about or cared about.

That depends on how open one is for suggestions of others.

Eddies Wingman said:
In this digital age, however, I very often just pick the songs I want to listen to from my music folder, rather than just putting on an album.

And that's another reason why album judgement rankings might be surprising, sometimes. ;)

I very rarely outright hate a song on an otherwise good album.
Even the pop-iest crap in the world can grow on you to some degree if you torture yourself with it for a long time, so there's no reason a Maiden song should'nt, and that's far from torture.

Forostar said:
Some people rather hear half a nice album instead of a whole album with negative moments. I see that point of view, but at the same time I find skipping a stupid thing to do.

I think that skipping a song can have negative consequences, on the longer term. If one skips a song in an early stage (e.g. one knows the album pretty shortly) because the song is disturbing for its quality/negative impact on the cohesion, I can imagine that there's some kind of urge/impatience to select the next track. In a way, it's logical because the flow should not be interrupted, and there's a need to go to the following cool song.

But when this skipping becomes and stays a habit, then the opportunity is not given to let it grow. Just like an album, a song can also grow.
That is why The Talisman completely ruins The Final Frontier for me.

I never really skip songs, but I could easily go without a few from Killers, as well as a few from FOTD. Also I could go fine without Invaders and Gangland, and Sun and Steel, Quest for Fire and Die With Your Boots On.

Skipping is chickening out. I always listen to The Apparition, from the bland drum kick at the start to the merciful fade of the guitars at the end. Judas be my Guide is a more than fitting reward.

In the past I would of always listened to complete albums from start to finish, which I still do, but for the most part, I have to pick and choose individual tracks as listening to full albums is so time consuming and I don't always have the time.

If I am listening to an album, I don't skip a song. It's there, and you have to deal with it if you want the album experience; for better and for worse.

When I make playlists, there's lots of Maiden songs that don't make the cut.

I often pick out individual songs to listen to separately, but if I play an album, I listen to the entire album. Skipping is not an option. And I think that probably goes for any band I listen to.

Yeah me too. It's choice. Either seperate songs (which happens very often these days), either a whole album.

I have all the songs from Maiden's discography on my music player except for 2

Montsegur
Mother of Mercy

Those 2 are the only Maiden songs I'll never like

When I listen to Maiden albums it's always the full thing.  So skipping isn't something I'm likely to do.

I love all Maiden songs save 4-

The Apparition
Weekend Warrior
The Angel and the Gambler
Dream of Mirrors

Yet when those come on I still listen to them because while I don't like them as a whole, each has certain aspects I can enjoy.

Donner said:
When I listen to Maiden albums it's always the full thing.  So skipping isn't something I'm likely to do.

I love all Maiden songs save 4-

The Apparition
Weekend Warrior
The Angel and the Gambler
Dream of Mirrors

Yet when those come on I still listen to them because while I don't like them as a whole, each has certain aspects I can enjoy.

Really? I already had an idea that the following was somewhat exaggerated.  

-about The Apparition-

Donner said:
1/10 from me, and that's generous.

It's one of only 5 Maiden songs I flat out hate.  I don't like anything about this song whatsoever.  Atrocious.

Oh good lord, the egg on my face haha.  Nice catch!

My cop-out answer is that I enjoy the end of The Apparition.  :lol:

I skip no songs.  Maiden has no bad songs, simply songs that are better than others.  Maiden is one of the very few bands where I can say that about though. 

Back