365 Albums In One Year

That’s even further removed from the classic Maiden style. TNOTB is the perfect album to bring in new fans, it’s iconic for a reason.

That’s even further removed from the classic Maiden style. TNOTB is the perfect album to bring in new fans, it’s iconic for a reason.
Yes but if you're introducing in an album format, SIT is far more accessible than the aforementioned invaders into children of the damned combo. While SSOASS would work fairly well, the opening two tracks are the most important for getting someone hooked on an album so that they actually listen to the whole thing.

Exactly. Invaders hooks you with that raw, punchy vibe it has. It’s only once you understand its place in the context of Maiden’s career that it slips in appreciation.

Yes but if you're introducing in an album format, SIT is far more accessible than the aforementioned invaders into children of the damned combo. While SSOASS would work fairly well, the opening two tracks are the most important for getting someone hooked on an album so that they actually listen to the whole thing.
So Powerslave then
It's most classic in my mind

Yeah, the first three Dickinson albums are better introductions than the synth era records.

7th Son is about as classic 80's Maiden as it gets. It's really not that proggy. Yeah, that title track is 9 minutes, sure, and they threw some synths in the background, ok, but 7th Son is as good a starting point as SiT or Piece of Mind. It's classic 80's Maiden, and definitely not a 'big' departure from their sound.

Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant, The Prophecy, Moonchild, Only The Good Die Young... these aren’t songs that’ll grab someone that’s new to the band as much as, say, Run To The Hills. You’ve gotta look at this from a different perspective. It’s a great album for sure, but if i hadn’t heard TNOTB before I heard SSOASS I would not have been sold on the band at all. There are too many layers for normal quick listening like most people do.

Hmm. I just have to add that Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, and The Clairvoyant grabbed me much much more than Run to the Hills (upon first handful of listens). I was only 13 too. I guess, at the end of the day, both NotB and 7th Son are good places to start. For someone that is halfway familiar with music, they would know that a band with 15+ plus albums is worth more than just one chance.

A band with that many releases is naturally gonna have a few stylistic changes in its discography. Two of my favorite bands (Motörhead and RAGE) didn't capture me with the first albums I chose from them (Bomber and Perfect Man respectively; and I quite like those releases now although they are not my favorites).

TNOTB is the perfect album to bring in new fans, it’s iconic for a reason.

Beg to differ - there's too much rubbish in between the handful of standout tunes to stop your average punter being somewhat put off. I reckon Powerslave and POM should be the go-to for "my first Iron Maiden" (if nothing else, they contain the band's two strongest openers)

181/365
Bon_Jovi_-_These_Days_%281995%29_Front_Cover.jpg

These Days - Bon Jovi
Format: CD/Vinyl

Hey God - A dark rocker opens up the final of the classic era of Bon Jovi. The darkest of the albums, opening with one of the bands heaviest riffs. Telling the stories of people whose life seems doomed to fail. Quite the departure from the condensed poppy rockers of the 80s but a natural progression from the much more adult Keep The Faith - 8/10

Something For The Pain - Wind chimes into distant guitar work from Sambora, another darker track, the relatively heavier riffs continue here, the bands harmonies are stronger on this track than the previous one. Catchy which makes sense as it is co written by Desmond Child, not a standout track. - 7/10

This Ain't A Love Song - One of the big ballads of the album, a rarity from the bands catalog, sentimental and fairly emotive, my enjoyment of this song's calm nature has decreased over the years but it is a prime example of an amazing track from this dark album. - 8/10

These Days - The title track opening with a piano intro, lyrically keeping with the darker themes of the album a song which at first glance is rather dark lyrically, Jon sings about being lost in crowds and ending up as a failure. However the song is about redemption and surpassing those darker times. The solo from Ritchie is well suited to the song. - 9/10

Lie To Me - Slowing right down, minimalist acoustic work, the only really strong part of this song is the amazing harmonies from the Ritchie and Jon which really makes the chorus strong. - 7/10

Damned - The band returns to a much more rocking track than the previous 4, Sambora lays out a catchy riff, Jon comes in with some maracas, full of energy and some nice higher notes from Jon, much stronger than the previous track, darker content again but much more mature than what the band has released before. - 9/10

My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms - A track which appears to have been long forgotten by the band, dark from the start and Sambora's guitar weeps softly in the background. A melancholy song with a beautiful solo from Sambora and Jon delivers some amazing high notes. A masterpiece - 10/10

(It's Hard) Letting You Go - At this point I'm getting a little tired of the slower subdued tracks, it doesn't make any of them bad but the album listen as a whole is getting tedious. - 6/10

Hearts Breaking Even - Another track which is falling into the catagory of I'm tired of this slower stuff and I want more. At least it is more upbeat but still another slow songs - 6/10

Something To Believe In - Just when I'm getting tired of the slow songs, Tico's drums introduce the best song on the album, another slow track on a slow album but the powerful and emotive Something To Believe In doesn't care about what came before it. Jon sings calmly over the verses, and Ritchie has some nice backing rhythm work. Davids keys work adds some nice dynamics to the track as well. - 10/10

If That's What It Takes - Fairly upbeat by comparison to the rest of the album, continuing on the darker themes being that the Jon is singing from a man willing to do anything for someone. - 8/10

Diamond Ring - The album closes with the fully acoustic Diamond Ring, originally meant for New Jersey, the highlight of this track are the harmonies and Sambora's beautiful acoustic guitar solo. Not nearly as bad as I used to think. - 7/10

Overall 79%

182/365
The_Metal_Opera_Part_2.jpg

The Metal Opera Part II - Avantasia
Format: CD/Digital

The Seven Angels - A long sprawling epic opens up the album. Beginning ominous before erupting into a mid paced track with an unbelievable chorus. The track continues having a powerful instrumental section reminiscent of SSOASS, the track feels like a suite between two very distinct parts separated by the instrumental interlude. Once again that chorus. - 10/10

No Return - From the fade outro of the previous song this track kicks right into action without wasting any time. Fairly generic with some fast paced nearly drum machine drumming. -7/10

The Looking Glass - Nice vocal harmonies, a majestic guitar solo but the rest of the track remains as something just simply enjoyable and nothing outstanding or particularly memorable. - 8/10

In Quest For - A piano intro, much calmer than the previous tracks, a track which serves to further the story of the album but isn't outstanding either - 8/10

The Final Sacrifice - Heavier and faster, Tobias does some screaming on this track and frankly some work and others fall short. The chorus is decent. - 7.5/10

Neverland - The melodic guitar work introducing this track is really nice, the keys work reminds me of Rush, one of the better tracks thus far although nothing amazing - 8/10

Anywhere - Any piano ballad, this one features only Tobias on vocals, a much better ballad than the previous one. A building epic, style of ballad, a slow but climbing guitar solo with beautiful guitar harmonies throughout. - 9/10

Chalice Of Agony - Another faster track which sadly sounds very drowned by the sheer speed, which seems to be an issue with Avantasia's earlier work. Very technically strong but the speed sucks all originality from the drum sound. And the guitars trying to maintain the speed become so repetitive forming a wall of sound. - 7/10

Memory - A slightly better track slowing down to a more midpaced tempo. Vocally strong, with some stronger moments. The slower section I find weaker, but the chorus is quite good at pulling you in - 8/10

Into The Unknown - Closing off the album a female guest singer comes in with some melodic backing she sings soothingly over the strings, building up a little before a decent finale. - 7.5/10

Overall 80

183/365
Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

Live After Death - Iron Maiden
Format: Vinyl

Initial Thoughts: Maiden had recently released their 5th Studio album the mighty powerslave. A career spanning setlist at the time featuring essentially all the tracks one would like to hear from those available albums at the time. The only notable omnission would be The Prisoner off of TNOTB but wow is this a setlist. - 10/10

Churchill's Speech/Aces High - Winston Churchill introduces the band letting the crowd know they are in for an onslaught of heavy metal music which will never surrender, Aces High comes in once the speech is complete melodic and Bruce is firing on all cylinders on the speedy opener of the bands masterpiece 5th album. Amazing soloing just like the studio version. Steve's bass keeping the band in line the entire time. What an opener - 10/10

2 Minutes To Midnight - Wasting no time the band goes into the second song off of Powerslave. A strong 1-2 punch, much stronger than the studio version the band delivers an exceptional rendition of the frankly overplayed track. - 10/10

The Trooper - Continuing on the guitar rocker assault the band launches into the classic track off of Piece of Mind. The Trooper's harmonized guitar intro is majestic live, the crying chorus of the song is a victim to weaker backing vocals but the song itself is performed incredibly well aside from that. The galloping bass is amazing. Nicko's drums driving the pace with Steve. - 9/10

Revelations - A track which has grown on me as of late comes in next the first true longer track of the album, dynamic and Bruce sings it stronger here than on the studio version, the live setting allows for the guitar work to feel much heavier. An amazing guitar solo from Adrian ensues and the band comes back finishing off the track - 9/10

Flight Of Icarus - Opening up with the classic scream for me intro by Bruce the mighty Flight of Icarus launches into action, faster than the studio version which I feel like makes the song even stronger and unrelenting. Closing off side 1 in brilliant fashion. - 10/10

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - Side 2 opens with the monstrous masterpiece from the band's most bands couldn't make the perfection that was the studio version even stronger than it initially was. Iron Maiden are not most bands. Rime is faster heavier and outright brutal. Bruce is vicious singing some beautiful high notes and delivering the lyrics perfectly. - 10/10

Powerslave - How does one follow up Rime, one delivers a roaring rendition of Powerslave. The title track and final song from the mighty album comes in with recorded intro before the band launches into a heavy delivery of the opening riffs. Bruce cries out in anguish emulating the pharoah he is singing about. The amazing solos are worth the price of the whole album. - 10/10

The Number Of The Beast - The haunting intro follows up continuing the pattern of absolutely annihilating any one who didn't have their face melted off by the last 3 song's amazing delivery. Once again beautiful guitar solos, Bruce is starting to sound a little tired but wow does he still deliver - 10/10

Hallowed Be Thy Name - YYYYEEEEEAAAAAEEEEEAAAAAAAEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! HALLLLOOWWWEEED BEEE THY NAAAAAAME! - 10/10

Iron Maiden - The main set closes with the eponymous track, higher energy than the studio track a fantastic rendition of a relatively solid track. Closing it out with lots of energy - 9/10

Run To The Hills - The encore opens with the radio classic, high energy an unrelenting like essentially everything that has come before. What a way to kick off an encore, the band sounds as fresh if not better than they did at the start of the concert. - 10/10

Running Free - Closing the full concert is a mediocre track from the bands debut a slower track than most of what has come before, delivered exceptionally once more. Lots of crowd participation in this rendition which drags out the song a fair bit, a little too long at times. When the band is actually playing the song it is delivered great. - 8/10

Wrathchild - Side 4 containing only bonus tracks which had also been played at points on the tour opens with Wrathchild, short and to the point, well delivered. - 8.5/10

22 Acacia Avenue - The only track thus far that I don't feel is improved in some way from the studio version, a song I'm not fond of it just feels weaker overall. - 8/10

Children Of The Damned - The second track from The Number Of The Beast remains haunting in the live setting. A great rendition, seems a little tame at times but overall the band does their mini-epic justice - 9/10

Die With Your Boots On - Increasing the speed once more the band delivers another track from Piece of Mind which oddly hasn't been featured since side 1. A good rendition - 8.5/10

Phantom Of The Opera - Closing off the whole album is the bands first epic, the mighty Phantom Of The Opera makes itself known with the iconic riff off the bat before erupting into the blazing rocker, delivered with great efficiency. - 9/10

Flow - The first 3 sides of the album flows perfectly within itself, side 4 feels quite disjointed as it is a bonus side of music. So due to it being the bonus it will not count against it - 10/10

Final Thoughts - Only thing that bothers me about this album is the bonus side, it should have been mixed into the whole concert and delivered in a proper concert format with side 4 being Iron Maiden + The Encore, that being said the band delivers an unbelievable setlist and even with the bonus disk it ends on a great note. It is clear why the songs on side 4 are there. - 9/10

Overall 94%; without side 4: 97%

50% Completed.

183/365
Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

Live After Death - Iron Maiden
Format: Vinyl

Initial Thoughts: Maiden had recently released their 5th Studio album the mighty powerslave. A career spanning setlist at the time featuring essentially all the tracks one would like to hear from those available albums at the time. The only notable omnission would be The Prisoner off of TNOTB but wow is this a setlist. - 10/10

Churchill's Speech/Aces High - Winston Churchill introduces the band letting the crowd know they are in for an onslaught of heavy metal music which will never surrender, Aces High comes in once the speech is complete melodic and Bruce is firing on all cylinders on the speedy opener of the bands masterpiece 5th album. Amazing soloing just like the studio version. Steve's bass keeping the band in line the entire time. What an opener - 10/10

2 Minutes To Midnight - Wasting no time the band goes into the second song off of Powerslave. A strong 1-2 punch, much stronger than the studio version the band delivers an exceptional rendition of the frankly overplayed track. - 10/10

The Trooper - Continuing on the guitar rocker assault the band launches into the classic track off of Piece of Mind. The Trooper's harmonized guitar intro is majestic live, the crying chorus of the song is a victim to weaker backing vocals but the song itself is performed incredibly well aside from that. The galloping bass is amazing. Nicko's drums driving the pace with Steve. - 9/10

Revelations - A track which has grown on me as of late comes in next the first true longer track of the album, dynamic and Bruce sings it stronger here than on the studio version, the live setting allows for the guitar work to feel much heavier. An amazing guitar solo from Adrian ensues and the band comes back finishing off the track - 9/10

Flight Of Icarus - Opening up with the classic scream for me intro by Bruce the mighty Flight of Icarus launches into action, faster than the studio version which I feel like makes the song even stronger and unrelenting. Closing off side 1 in brilliant fashion. - 10/10

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner - Side 2 opens with the monstrous masterpiece from the band's most bands couldn't make the perfection that was the studio version even stronger than it initially was. Iron Maiden are not most bands. Rime is faster heavier and outright brutal. Bruce is vicious singing some beautiful high notes and delivering the lyrics perfectly. - 10/10

Powerslave - How does one follow up Rime, one delivers a roaring rendition of Powerslave. The title track and final song from the mighty album comes in with recorded intro before the band launches into a heavy delivery of the opening riffs. Bruce cries out in anguish emulating the pharoah he is singing about. The amazing solos are worth the price of the whole album. - 10/10

The Number Of The Beast - The haunting intro follows up continuing the pattern of absolutely annihilating any one who didn't have their face melted off by the last 3 song's amazing delivery. Once again beautiful guitar solos, Bruce is starting to sound a little tired but wow does he still deliver - 10/10

Hallowed Be Thy Name - YYYYEEEEEAAAAAEEEEEAAAAAAAEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! HALLLLOOWWWEEED BEEE THY NAAAAAAME! - 10/10

Iron Maiden - The main set closes with the eponymous track, higher energy than the studio track a fantastic rendition of a relatively solid track. Closing it out with lots of energy - 9/10

Run To The Hills - The encore opens with the radio classic, high energy an unrelenting like essentially everything that has come before. What a way to kick off an encore, the band sounds as fresh if not better than they did at the start of the concert. - 10/10

Running Free - Closing the full concert is a mediocre track from the bands debut a slower track than most of what has come before, delivered exceptionally once more. Lots of crowd participation in this rendition which drags out the song a fair bit, a little too long at times. When the band is actually playing the song it is delivered great. - 8/10

Wrathchild - Side 4 containing only bonus tracks which had also been played at points on the tour opens with Wrathchild, short and to the point, well delivered. - 8.5/10

22 Acacia Avenue - The only track thus far that I don't feel is improved in some way from the studio version, a song I'm not fond of it just feels weaker overall. - 8/10

Children Of The Damned - The second track from The Number Of The Beast remains haunting in the live setting. A great rendition, seems a little tame at times but overall the band does their mini-epic justice - 9/10

Die With Your Boots On - Increasing the speed once more the band delivers another track from Piece of Mind which oddly hasn't been featured since side 1. A good rendition - 8.5/10

Phantom Of The Opera - Closing off the whole album is the bands first epic, the mighty Phantom Of The Opera makes itself known with the iconic riff off the bat before erupting into the blazing rocker, delivered with great efficiency. - 9/10

Flow - The first 3 sides of the album flows perfectly within itself, side 4 feels quite disjointed as it is a bonus side of music. So due to it being the bonus it will not count against it - 10/10

Final Thoughts - Only thing that bothers me about this album is the bonus side, it should have been mixed into the whole concert and delivered in a proper concert format with side 4 being Iron Maiden + The Encore, that being said the band delivers an unbelievable setlist and even with the bonus disk it ends on a great note. It is clear why the songs on side 4 are there. - 9/10

Overall 94%; without side 4: 97%

50% Completed.
Are you going to review all of the live albums?

No, I won't be doing A Real Live/Dead or Flight 666, due to the fact it is the remake of Live After Death; I only will do the ones I own on Vinyl which currently are: Maiden England; Death On The Road and Flight 666.
Oh ok. Shame that Rock in Rio '01 isn't one of those since it's imo their best live album.

Back