365 Albums In One Year

Try Permanent Waves next. If you really like synths then try Signals.
Signals is wildly overrated, IMO. If you like their synthier style, check out Power Windows next.

But really, if you don’t like Moving Pictures, then what are your chances of liking any Rush at all...?

But really, if you don’t like Moving Pictures, then what are your chances of liking any Rush at all...?
I believe this sentiment to be true. Yes, their 70's output is a little more long winded and more in line with what you'd expect from a 70's prog band, but I find Moving Pictures to be just as complex as their 70's output. And Moving Pictures was kinda the album for Rush. It's not like they had a different vocalist in the 70's, or they were any less weird.

@KidInTheDark666 if you didn't like Moving Pictures, atleast do yourself a favor and check out Working Man and La Villa Strangiato. You can't really regret having heard those once in your life.

Signals is wildly overrated, IMO. If you like their synthier style, check out Power Windows next.

Power Windows would not be the best album for a Rush fan starting out. Signals and Permanent Waves are pretty accessible.

Power Windows would not be the best album for a Rush fan starting out. Signals and Permanent Waves are pretty accessible.
Btw you promised me that I would love Rush because I'm a Dream Theater fan. :ninja: I'll listen to one of those you mentioned shortly.

Btw you promised me that I would love Rush because I'm a Dream Theater fan. :ninja: I'll listen to one of those you mentioned shortly.
You will, trust me.

Start here:
1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. Signals
4. 2112

I want more prog:
1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell to Kings
3. Clockwork Angels

A bit simpler:
1. Rush
2. Snakes & Arrows
3. Fly By Night
4. Roll the Bones

More synths!:
1. Power Windows
2. Grace Under Pressure

Test my patience:
1. Caress of Steel
2. Hold Your Fire

You will, trust me.

Start here:
1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. Signals
4. 2112

I want more prog:
1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell to Kings
3. Clockwork Angels

A bit simpler:
1. Rush
2. Snakes & Arrows
3. Fly By Night
4. Roll the Bones

More synths!:
1. Power Windows
2. Grace Under Pressure

Test my patience:
1. Caress of Steel
2. Hold Your Fire
Thanks, this is helpful.

kill-fuck-die-552a0ee95b125.jpg

Album 115/365

1. Kill.Fuck.Die. - Holy shit, this is some angry music. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and the production is pretty much shit, but I'll be damned if Blackie isn't still a monster at melody crafting. This song isn't perfect, but it's pretty great. 9/10
2. Take The Addiction - The previous song was pure W.A.S.P., but this one definitely has the industrial influence shining through. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't grab the attention as much as the previous one does. 7/10
3. My Tortured Eyes - Is this supposed to be a power ballad? 'Cuz it's the most fucked-up power ballad I've ever heard. COME ON AND KILL ME. Whoa man. It's a pretty good song though. I like it. But I'm ready to see how depraved W.A.S.P. can really get. 8/10
4. Killahead - Sounds like K.F.D.'s answer to "Doctor Rockter". This is one where the production really adds to the overall aesthetic. It's a pure W.A.S.P. song, but Blackie has it all layered up to make it darker than it would be otherwise. Great song. 9/10
5. Kill Your Pretty Face - This one is probably the scariest song here yet, the way it's constantly building and building and building. It's not perfect or anything though. I think it loses some of the effect it should have in the way it's drawn out. I like it though. Good song. 8/10
6. Fetus - Very effective interlude. N/A
7. Little Death - Big, bad, and abrasive. This one is great because of how absolutely fucking raw Blackie sounds. His best vocal performance so far on the album. 9/10
8. U - It's fine I guess but a bit disappointing. Blackie has some good high notes in here and the rest is just kinda samey. 6/10
9. Wicked Love - I guess after seven songs of this sort of style we'd be bound to hit some weaker ones. Again, fine, but it's just a typical W.A.S.P. song about sex and shit. 6/10
10. The Horror - Was hoping for something even bigger honestly. It's a good song and a good album closer, but not quite the best thing ever. The ending gets pretty wild though. 8/10

Good album. The production is shit, it's standard W.A.S.P. fare only angrier and rawer, and there's some industrial leanings throughout. Not a masterpiece, but not bad by any means.

Rating: 78%

Except Signals and Permanent Waves aren’t consistently strong albums. Each has 2 good songs and a lot of filler, IMO. Meanwhile, Power Windows is gold from start to finish.

You can make the same argument with TNOTB but it’s still a better starting point for new fans than SSOASS.

You can make the same argument with TNOTB but it’s still a better starting point for new fans than SSOASS.
Nah. If they’re coming in cold, that 1-2 punch of “Invaders” and “Children Of The Damned” might send them packing before they get to the good stuff. I’d start then on Seventh Son for sure, if it had to be a full studio album.

Seventh Son is so far removed from the band’s classic ‘80s style though. It’s much more progressive leaning and only CIPWM and possibly TETMD would work in bringing in a new fan. Meanwhile TNOTB is much more easily digestible, and since they’d probably already like metal, the punchiness of the album would probably hook them. It did me when I first heard it. SSOASS was just solid when I heard it. Something you need to let build on you.

Um, Somewhere In Time is far better suited than both TNOTB and SSOASS... Starts much stronger with the title track and the beautiful Wasted Years. Yea it sounds more 80s but it still is amazing

Back