Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, a friend of mine from Spain told me that they were at Rock Fest Barcelona in 2016 so they might come back there again in 2020, especially that most of shows are going to be at festivals. But if Maiden is aiming for the stadium, good for them :) I wonder whether this 28 October remains for Euro Tour announcement or was everything postponed for 7 November :)

They did play at Rock Fest in 2016, but it seems that the promoters of their stadium gig in Madrid in 2018 are trying to book them for a stadium gig in Barcelona in 2020.

Alright. That's a pity for me since I really loved being at Rock Fest in 2016 and was really hoping to return there with Maiden confirmed in 2020. Thanks for destroying my hopes haha.

I wonder if Maiden will play another big surprise like FOI for next year's 3rd leg or for next album tour (if they change the setlist...., I think this time they will change it, because it is the 3rd leg and on ME tour 3rd leg they changed 3 songs)?

Anyway, I mean FOI was played for the first time since 1986! and will Maiden be again brave enough (and not lazy) to return a song like ''To Tame A Land'' (it's unlikely, because it was played only on one tour) - but I remember an interview with Steve from 1983 where he said something like: ''I'm really proud of POTO, but TTAL is the best song I've ever written''./

The biggest surprise will be ATG (of course), but also songs like ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' could return? Why not. They were played a couple of times in 2001. Or something completely out of the blue like ''Mother Russia'', for example.

I wonder if Maiden will play another big surprise like FOI for next year's 3rd leg or for next album tour (if they change the setlist...., I think this time they will change it, because it is the 3rd leg and on ME tour 3rd leg they changed 3 songs)?

Most likely not. Flight of Icarus was more or less expected to be played at some point anyway, and it's highly unrealistic for another cut like that to be dusted off for next year's leg alone. Sure, something like The Clairvoyant, Phantom of the Opera, Brave New World, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Die With Your Boots On or even The Prisoner does indeed have a fair chance to be featured as a "childrenofthedamnedpowerslaveafraidtoshootstrangers" of the next album tour, but no, nothing as big as FOI for next year. One real surprise (surrounded by pre-tour media hype based on Bruce's comments) and a couple of TBOS-tour like adventurous moves maybe. :) But that's another speculation anyway. ;)

At least that's what I believe.

Anyway, I mean FOI was played for the first time since 1986! and will Maiden be again brave enough (and not lazy) to return a song like ''To Tame A Land'' (it's unlikely, because it was played only on one tour) - but I remember an interview with Steve from 1983 where he said something like: ''I'm really proud of POTO, but TTAL is the best song I've ever written''./

Not for next year and I doubt anything that big would return for next (album?) tour either. I do believe that one or two of the mentioned "deep-cutish" classics have a fair chance to return for the next cycle, but To Tame a Land seems a bit too complex and demanding to be thrown in at this point. I think it's more likely for them to dust off another rarely played song or two than not, but not quite in To Tame a Land, ATG etc. scale. To be fair, there's not that many big show centerpieces left to dust off anyway, since ROTAM, SSOASS and SOTC have all been played within about 10 years and there's a couple of huge, longer songs in their more recent recordings too that have some potential to reappear in the live set.

The biggest surprise will be ATG (of course), but also songs like ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' could return? Why not. They were played a couple of times in 2001. Or something completely out of the blue like ''Mother Russia'', for example.

Yes they were, and Maiden has indeed thrown in one or two relatively surprising or at least, in their standards, adventurous picks for almost every tour in recent memory and I do believe that the trend will continue. However, I'd expect it to be along the lines of previously mentioned selection. Dusting off Stranger in a Strange Land (just an example) sounds relatively plausible, but it's far from being super likely. And The Fallen Angel and Out of the Silent Planet - not to even mention Mother Russia - are so out there that there's just no chance for them to be played.

Feel free to mock me if I end up guessing wrong, though! :D

Think it this way: when looking at the nature of those songs and the role they'd most likely play in a Maiden setlist structure, especially Mother Russia and The Fallen Angel, there's so much more iconic and better songs to pick to a 15-16 song set.

I'm all in for cool setlist curiosities, but looking at bigger picture, potential for being a huge setlist curiosity doesn't make song worthy setlist pick alone. In other words, of course The Fallen Angel is technically more of a rare song and an interesting setlist curiosity than, say, The Clairvoyant, Wasted Years, or Powerslave, but looking at the big picture, not that many would actually replace any of the mentioned not-quite-staple-but-definitely-classics picks with The Fallen Angel.

So, in the end, looking at the concept of LOTB and potential song selection in the first place, the expected structure of the next (potentially an album tour) tour cycle and the pool of songs they'll most likely choose from... There's just very, very little to absolutely no reason and chance for something like Mother Russia or The Fallen Angel to be played.

As for next year's speculated set, they might very well make little changes. I don't believe in more than two or three changes, one per set piece maybe, maybe not even that. There's not many songs in the main set that seem very replaceable anyway.

Last edited:
If there will be - let's say - 3 setlist changes, I would like to have something like:

Greater Good Of God ---> Paschendale / Benjamin
2 Minutes To Midnight ---> Still Life / Silent Planet
Eagles ---> Brave New World / No More Lies

Considered the tour's themes, I see Paschendale as a very serious candidate. The other ones I named are 70% personal desire and 30% prediction.

I would exclude the possibility that, at this point, they will ever play a song they never performed on stage, during their career.

I think it’s more likely they will play a new song instead of a "deeper" cut like To tame a land

Agreed on the new song.

Also, if a deep cut is busted out it will be a deep cut Bruce likes, most of the tracks that were brought back from the dead are Bruce favourites, COTD, Powerslave, FOI etc. Steve associated deep cuts like Rime or Phantom were brought back when they were significant to the theme of the tour. Anything Steve likes tends to get played and not become deep cuts in the first place!

Rock Fest Barcelona is shaping up to be a really nice Fest. Priest, Accept, UFO and Bullet so far among others. If they do that one I might be tempted. Good weather guaranteed and a good line up.

Most likely not. Flight of Icarus was more or less expected to be played at some point anyway, and it's highly unrealistic for another cut like that to be dusted off for next year's leg alone.

To tell you, I've lost faith that FOI will be played live again - especially after Steve's comments that he do not like the tempo of the song. So I think it's not so unrealistic (for next year's 3rd leg - yes, but for the next album tour - who knows...). And I gave the example with ''To Tame A Land'', because it seems in 1983 Steve really loved that song. They had a ideal chance to play it during the Early Days tour though.
To be fair, there's not that many big show centerpieces left to dust off anyway,

The only one that left is ''To Tame A Land''.
Yes they were, and Maiden has indeed thrown in one or two relatively surprising or at least, in their standards, adventurous picks for almost every tour in recent memory and I do believe that the trend will continue. However, I'd expect it to be along the lines of previously mentioned selection. Dusting off Stranger in a Strange Land (just an example) sounds relatively plausible, but it's far from being super likely. And The Fallen Angel and Out of the Silent Planet - not to even mention Mother Russia - are so out there that there's just no chance for them to be played.

Feel free to mock me if I end up guessing wrong, though! :D

Think it this way: when looking at the nature of those songs and the role they'd most likely play in a Maiden setlist structure, especially Mother Russia and The Fallen Angel, there's so much more iconic and better songs to pick to a 15-16 song set.

I'm all in for cool setlist curiosities, but looking at bigger picture, potential for being a huge setlist curiosity doesn't make song worthy setlist pick alone. In other words, of course The Fallen Angel is technically more of a rare song and an interesting setlist curiosity than, say, The Clairvoyant, Wasted Years, or Powerslave, but looking at the big picture, not that many would actually replace any of the mentioned not-quite-staple-but-definitely-classics picks with The Fallen Angel.

So, in the end, looking at the concept of LOTB and potential song selection in the first place, the expected structure of the next (potentially an album tour) tour cycle and the pool of songs they'll most likely choose from... There's just very, very little to absolutely no reason and chance for something like Mother Russia or The Fallen Angel to be played.

As for next year's speculated set, they might very well make little changes. I don't believe in more than two or three changes, one per set piece maybe, maybe not even that. There's not many songs in the main set that seem very replaceable anyway.

Of course the classics have more chances than ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' (I gave them as a example, because they were played on the 2nd leg of their album tour), but I also didn't expect FTGGOG to be played live again./ ''Mother Russia'' was a wild example. :lol:

It's very hard to play both more classics and deep cuts in 15-16 songs setlist.

For next year's 3rd leg I expect 3 changes (at most 5).

The only one that left is ''To Tame A Land''.

Of course the classics have more chances than ''The Fallen Angel'' and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' (I gave them as a example, because they were played on the 2nd leg of their album tour), but I also didn't expect FTGGOG to be played live again.

Yes, but due to very demanding nature of the song and considering that they've already played the other mentioned "epics" with current line-up and found them to be very effective, I doubt that To Tame a Land has any real chance to be dusted off; then again, I don't mind if I end up being wrong! :)

As for For the Greater Good of God, it was definitely a song I didn't expect to be played before the LOTB announcement/hints dropped, but after all, it's a huge song in a very beloved (yes, not everyone loves it, but I'd say it's generally much more appreciated than some views here have suggested) album that band has very often stated as something they're very, very proud of. Not to mention that it deals with two very prominent lyrical themes thorough their discography; war & religion.

To Tame a Land is just something that I personally don't see any slot to fall into when it comes to future sets, but obviously, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

I think it’s more likely they will play a new song instead of a "deeper" cut

This is a very likely scenario (it was done before in 2003 and in 2010) - and it would feel like a deep cut, haha. I think they saving the deep cut/s for the next album tour.
I would exclude the possibility that, at this point, they will ever play a song they never performed on stage, during their career.

Most likely. And if they want to do that, they'll have to ask Priest how it's done... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back