What guitar do you play?

The worst tremolo in terms of wear is Ibanez Edge III. Hands down. Had it on my first RG. Never again.

Jackson AS SDX Maple fingerboard, black guard inbound. Should be here in a week or so, since Thomann haven't got them in the warehouse, but will arrive in couple of days.

That said, I will take a soldering iron as soon as I get it and replace the humbucker with DiMarzio Super Distortion in white (a little tribute to my old yellow RG550, which has a white super distortion in the bridge) and the neck pickup with a DiMarzio Chopper (that one I have already from another guitar). I also bought an EVH D-Tuna, since I plan to keep the tremolo flat on the body (dive only), cause I have an Ibanez Jem for that tremolo crazyness. Also, I have a spare Schaller Floyd arm and will probably use that too.

Exciting times.

Enjoy it! And keep us posted on the process.

As a side note, I am considering to replace the black pickguard with a white one as some kind of tribute to the Jackson used by H on En Vivo! (white pickguard with maple fret). I will also have to change the volume knob with a Fender one. The jack input cannot be changed, so it will remain on the side of the body.

The SDX is the Indian/ Indonesian version. The one in your photo is an American custom version used by H during TFF tour. And all Adrian Smith models have black hardware.
Thanks for the clarification. Yeah it's the american one. I bought 2nd hand and it's awesome. I'm very happy with it

A luthier here in Croatia told me some guy ordered a bass guitar with a neck like that from him some 20 years ago. He made it and said it worked well and the guy was happy with it. But he was the single one that needed that kind of thing I guess

People, how would you go about selling a guitar you've customised/modified? I've been toying with the idea of selling my Ibanez RG on as I don't use it too much any more, but I've done a bit of modding so I'm curious as to how that affect the resale value. Is there much chance someone would want it for parts or to customise themselves?

It might depend on the modifications but I'd imagine it generally hurts the value. What model RG and and what did you do to it?

It's an RG350EX, don't think they're sold anymore. Nothing too drastic, but enough that it couldn't be sold "as new". I changed the pickups for DiMarzios (though I would like to keep those, very nice pickups they are), changed all the electronics (output jack, 5-way switch, volume and tone pots) and changed the dull, matte silver scratchplate for a mirror silver one I bought off eBay.

Yea I was wondering about the pickups. I would personally not mind paying the same price if it came with DiMarzios compared to the same guitar that hasn't been touched. Not sure about the other mods though.

Other thing is I changed the tremolo block for a brass one, but I've still got the original around somewhere, I could then sell the block on separately.

I too wouldn't be bothered paying same price for an old guitar with new, better pickups. This reminds me, a friend of mine had a seven-string RG that he had modded with Bareknuckles, he'd probably paid a total of around £700 - £800 for the guitar and pups but the shop he sold it to gave him around £200. I thought he was crazy for accepting that.

In my limited experience on this matter, people don’t care about how you customized your guitar, even if the upgrades implied decent amounts of invested money. So when you want to sell an upgraded guitar, you will most likely obtain less than the initial purchase price of the standard guitar.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It wasn't super expensive to begin with so I probably wouldn't have got much even if it was like-new. In the event I do end up selling it I'll just stick it on eBay, sans pickups of course, for a lower price and see if anyone takes it for parts or something. Getting a bit ahead of myself anyway, want to get a new amplifier before I buy any more guitars.

A couple of weeks ago I sold my Majesty. I took quite a beating on the price, but it is what it is. I had to pay for some other things.

I just learned that keeping pedals plugged in while not playing drains the battery. And I've been wondering why my 9V batteries run empty a couple of days after I switch to a new one...glad I finally Googled it.

I just learned that keeping pedals plugged in while not playing drains the battery. And I've been wondering why my 9V batteries run empty a couple of days after I switch to a new one...glad I finally Googled it.
I think the same happens to the active guitars with 9V batteries inside.

Back