Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paschendale is one of Iron Maiden's best songs. Moving, epic, groundbreaking...

Mother Russia, on the other hand, is just a mediocre attempt at an epic that, coming straight after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, highlights how the band had somewhat lost the plot (leading to the exit of Adrian Smith).

Anyway, that is just my opinion and I might be wrong.

To me, Mother Russia has always been a poor imitation of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (the song). In terms of the tempos, riffs, and song structure it's just way too similar. The lyrics are not compelling at all either.

Nah, I like Russia (political aspects aside), and I don't think that song is anywhere near the excellence of past epics. @Forostar is not a fan of Russia, to put it mildly, yet he likes the song so I don't think there's a connection there.

In terms of the tempos, riffs, and song structure it's just way too similar.
No no no no no. This is way too exaggerated.

Seventh Son and Mother Russia feel completely different. They are very different. Very different intros. Very different verses. Not unimportant: very different tempos. Mother Russia does not have a chorus. Vocal melodies are very different. Very different lyrics. Very different endings. The only similarities are in the instrumental parts. Some. Not everything. There's this original kind of march rhythm in Mother Russia during the first solo which is not present in Seventh Son or any other Maiden song. The similarities in the instrumental part (the slow part in the beginning of that section and the rhythm, tempo and riffs in the faster part underneath the solos) do not make the structures, tempos and even riffs of the overall songs similar. Not at all actually.

Last edited:
No no no no no. This is way too exaggerated.

Seventh Son and Mother Russia feel completely different. They are very different. Very different intros. Very different verses. Not unimportant: very different tempos. Mother Russia does not have a chorus. Vocal melodies are very different. Very different lyrics. Very different endings. The only similarities are in the instrumental parts. Some. Not everything. There's this original kind of march rhythm in Mother Russia during the first solo which is not present in Seventh Son or any other Maiden song. The similarities in the instrumental part (the slow part in the beginning of that section and the rhythm, tempo and riffs in the faster part underneath the solos) do not make the structures, tempos and even riffs of the overall songs similar. Not at all actually.

I'm sorry, but every time I listed to Mother Russia I find myself wishing I was listening to Seventh Son. The relative tempos between sections are similar, the chord progressions are similar, and the transitions are similar. It's like they deconstructed Seventh Son, swapped some bits around, and stuck some choppy marching bits in. :p

That's fine that you disagree though. I think it's part of the magic of Maiden that people can have such wildly divergent impressions of the same song.

'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is boring. The chorus is repetitive and the instrumental section goes nowhere. The song is too long overall. It was nice to see it live on the Maiden England tour but I have no interest in seeing it again. 'Mother Russia' is not a song I have much love or hate for, but I'd be more interested in seeing it live as it would be a different song.

Mother Russia's solo sounds similar to Seventh Son, but there's enough there to warrant listenings to both. Seventh Son is a masterpiece of an epic and Mother Russia is an epic five minute tune - both are amazing.

I'm somewhere in between on this one. I don't think it's the same structure as Seventh Son, it starts similar, the calm part is similar to how Seventh Son's calm section starts, the main riff isn't similar, but the feel of the solo section, especially the beat, evokes kind of a same atmosphere. Except the descending riff. In any case, it's partially similar and that's why I call it underdeveloped, a flaw shared by many NPFTD tracks. Songs like this one and Fates Warning required a bit more time in development.

Edit : Lyrics are very cool (pun intended). Very evoking (the snowflakes drifting part), although you could picture that in wherever snow fell, snowflakes are not Russian in origin ;) But the "can you be happy now your people are free" part is very tongue in cheek, considering this song isn't a "tribute" to the genesis of Russia as in Russian Federation, it's a tribute to democracy in Soviet Union (colloquial 'Russia' in the west), and a question of its appeal among the people. And a valid question - in the space of the legal Soviet Union (that's excluding occupied Baltic), people are not exactly happy with the concept. From Ukraine to Russia, Caucasus states and stans beyond them, people treat democratic process as a validation, a public poll for their non-democratic aspirations, still imposing majority rules. So yes, the last line hits like a hammer and the answer is - no. And this last page can be moved to Mother Russia thread by the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemme guess, you're actually serious about this, are you?

They do have secret service covered high ranking paedophile chain for that matter. Don't see the connection with Russia, tho.

I'm from Lithuania, Baltic State, and i hate song Mother Russia from lyrical point of view (to me it sounds like ass-kissing). Russia isn't democratic at all (last 18 years). Even nowadays, majority of Russian federation population supports Putin. Warmonger and dictator. That's stupid. Oh, politics...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back