Bruce Dickinson

Nicko wanted to, but Steve told him he can't play a song that Maiden hasn't played.
My understanding was that Steve doesn't want folks playing songs that Maiden haven't played "yet." Meaning, if it's on the list of "we're never going to play this," it's probably fine to be covered in one of the Maiden side projects.

IMO Bruce has more leverage than Nicko (or anyone else in the band for that matter). If he wants to play a song he wrote for Maiden on a solo tour, I can't see Steve stopping him. And both songs that have been discussed in the Nicko example (WOTW/Alexander) were intended to be played live eventually by Maiden. It's not like Flash of the Blade is high on Maiden's priority list to play live anyway. The Nicko situation is not very comparable to me.

Anyway, the only possible thing that qualifies as a "surprise" as Bruce has been hyping would be a rare or unplayed Maiden song imo.

Interview about the comic. Bruce says the cover of Episode #2 is ''wow'', and that one of the character's stories has been completely changed since 2014.

It would be interesting to read the review in Metal Hammer UK, considering that the journalist was flown to Brazil (I would imagine with all expenses paid) to interview Bruce. :D

I bet the article will follow this structure:

- Introduction mentioning Bruce’s accomplishments with hyperbolic language (“More impressive than Leonardo da Vinci”).
- Some remarks from Bruce about his hip replacements (“I am made of metal these days”) and his 3rd marriage and his chemical Parisian wedding.
- The usual promotional stuff about the album that we have read previously (“I have the freedom to explore different avenues”, “Maiden has a completely different way of doing things”, “This album has been in the making since 2014 but cancer, Maiden, and Covid have delayed its release”, “I get bored singing repetitive lyrics”), with some comments about some tracks, including Sonata (“my wife loved the demo!”).
- A long monologue about the comics and the people involved in bringing his brilliant script to fruition.
- Something about the tour, perhaps including a belittling remark about Adrian’s contribution to his solo career.
- A closing paragraph where the journalist would drool (again) over the accomplishments of the polymath (“We are not worthy”).

I can’t wait to see if I got this right! :D

On Wednesday I had to travel for work and ended up getting the latest issue of Metal Hammer. I can confirm that I got several of my predictions right! :lol:

There was more about the comic than about the music. All in all, a bit of a waste of £6.99...

Empire of the Clouds with a keytar solo is the only possible option.

Me whenever a keytar is mentioned in the context of Bruce's forthcoming live shows...

giphy.gif

There is review from that guy. All credits to mr. TP.

Spoilers possible ahead if you care about that.
The Mandrake Project is a unique album in Bruce’s career although I hear throw backs to other albums. Several songs give me AOB/TCW vibes, moments here and there give me BTP feels, and one song has a melody/riff that sounds exactly like a Skunkworks song. There’s also a brief lyric straight from TCW.
The album is mostly slow to mid-tempo with bursts of fast stuff and there is more ballad and orchestral stuff than I expected.
Bruce’s vocal performance (singing and spoken) across the album is, of course, incredible and I almost feel like the focus of this album is more on his vocals than the music if that makes any sense.
There are some guest musicians including a couple of guitar solos (no, not the Maiden guys although I wish Adrian had been one of them).
Afterglow of Ragnarok you’ve all heard.
Many Doors To Hell is my favorite song on the album so far and it could be a single.
Rain On The Graves you’ve all heard.
Resurrection Men has almost a western cowboy feel to it and I could imagine Bruce making a video for this in that style.
Fingers In The Wounds alternates between soft and heavy with an interesting middle section.
Eternity Has Failed will take getting used to after being used to Maiden’s version. This one is much slower although what Roy and Mistheria do in the middle is a lot of fun!
Mistress Of Mercy is one of the heavier songs and has Skunkworks feels to me.
Face In The Mirror is a beautiful ballad with fantastic vocals.
Shadow Of The Gods is much softer than I expected it to be, well, until the “Halford” part comes!
Sonata (Immortal Beloved) is a long atmospheric piece that is almost Pink Floyd in places and has spoken word moments.
I’ve only listened to the album four times so far and it’s clearly an album that grows on you with each listen. I think it will end up as my third favorite of his albums behind AOB and TCW.

There is review from that guy. All credits to mr. TP.

Spoilers possible ahead if you care about that.
The Mandrake Project is a unique album in Bruce’s career although I hear throw backs to other albums. Several songs give me AOB/TCW vibes, moments here and there give me BTP feels, and one song has a melody/riff that sounds exactly like a Skunkworks song. There’s also a brief lyric straight from TCW.
The album is mostly slow to mid-tempo with bursts of fast stuff and there is more ballad and orchestral stuff than I expected.
Bruce’s vocal performance (singing and spoken) across the album is, of course, incredible and I almost feel like the focus of this album is more on his vocals than the music if that makes any sense.
There are some guest musicians including a couple of guitar solos (no, not the Maiden guys although I wish Adrian had been one of them).
Afterglow of Ragnarok you’ve all heard.
Many Doors To Hell is my favorite song on the album so far and it could be a single.
Rain On The Graves you’ve all heard.
Resurrection Men has almost a western cowboy feel to it and I could imagine Bruce making a video for this in that style.
Fingers In The Wounds alternates between soft and heavy with an interesting middle section.
Eternity Has Failed will take getting used to after being used to Maiden’s version. This one is much slower although what Roy and Mistheria do in the middle is a lot of fun!
Mistress Of Mercy is one of the heavier songs and has Skunkworks feels to me.
Face In The Mirror is a beautiful ballad with fantastic vocals.
Shadow Of The Gods is much softer than I expected it to be, well, until the “Halford” part comes!
Sonata (Immortal Beloved) is a long atmospheric piece that is almost Pink Floyd in places and has spoken word moments.
I’ve only listened to the album four times so far and it’s clearly an album that grows on you with each listen. I think it will end up as my third favorite of his albums behind AOB and TCW.
Halford?? Why?? There goes that organic, classic Bruce solo album feel.

Back