Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

I thought I would write a post on here about reading a comment about Janick being out of tune on another thread. In recent years, I have noticed that Janick has an onstage tuner. It is just by the stage-left entrance. Steve also has an onstage tuner. Do Dave and Adrian have tuners onstage?

I thought I would write a post on here about reading a comment about Janick being out of tune on another thread. In recent years, I have noticed that Janick has an onstage tuner. It is just by the stage-left entrance. Steve also has an onstage tuner. Do Dave and Adrian have tuners onstage?
Can't see why they would not.

No, Dave and H don't have on-stage tuners. Their techs do the tuning for them. For instance, in 2011 H played his Goldtop in drop D during TNOTB, he went offstage, handed the guitar to the tech and he retuned it for him to standard for Hallowed and Running Free.

Janick used the tuner only when playing the two main cable guitars (the black and the arctic white strat). However, it seems that lately he hasn't been using it ( LOTB ) and him and Eddie Marsh (his tech) decided to switch guitars before every song with some clean parts. It seems that he prefers switching guitars now rather than tuning on stage.

No, Dave and H don't have on-stage tuners. Their techs do the tuning for them. For instance, in 2011 H played his Goldtop in drop D during TNOTB, he went offstage, handed the guitar to the tech and he retuned it for him to standard for Hallowed and Running Free.

Janick used the tuner only when playing the two main cable guitars (the black and the arctic white strat). However, it seems that lately he hasn't been using it ( LOTB ) and him and Eddie Marsh (his tech) decided to switch guitars before every song with some clean parts. It seems that he prefers switching guitars now rather than tuning on stage.
Thanks for confirming this.

I would have thought that was quite risky to change the tuning. Surely it is better to have the guitar setup for drop d? The intonation wouldn’t be as accurate as well.

I would have thought that was quite risky to change the tuning. Surely it is better to have the guitar setup for drop d? The intonation wouldn’t be as accurate as well.
Bands without the luxury of having a whole crew, a bunch of guitars to choose from and the lot do just fine retuning on stage to drop D for a song or two, then going back to standard for the rest. Ultimately it really shouldn't be different for a multi-million enterprise like Maiden. The only difference is that the tech does it offstage and presumably to a much higher degree of precision.

Of course it's better. With Floyds, there is no other way. However, H has been retuning his goldtop mid-show since 1997 (when he played it in drop D for everything bar Taking The Queen and Icarus). Les Pauls can take the re-tuning. Floating Floyds can't.

For instance, EVH developed a D-tuna. And that works great with dive only Floyds. Have one on my SDX and it works great.

The silver unit has effects built into it. I believe there is a tube screamer and Boss GE7 built into it.

The Mesa is used for the HBTN solo.
Having done some "research" the Graphic Equalizer is a Boss GE-10 (as it has 10 adjustable frequency bands). Didn't know that he used the MESA for that specific lead, as it doesn't really sound any different from his other tones live at all.

Having done some "research" the Graphic Equalizer is a Boss GE-10 (as it has 10 adjustable frequency bands). Didn't know that he used the MESA for that specific lead, as it doesn't really sound any different from his other tones live at all.
I can’t remember the source for the Mesa Hallowed lead. I think it was on of the DVD documentaries.

Another source for this is that when his Marshall preamp broke down in 2016 during the song, he could still play the solo just fine despite not being able to play rhythm for the entire song basically. Adrian didn't know this and soloed over Janick.

What colour is the Les Paul that Adrian uses in the ''Rainmaker'' video? Is it white?

I wish they'd do a thorough rig rundown once, either on their own YT channel like Metallica did a few years back, or by letting some magazine come and talk to the crew/band (like Premier Guitar does).

Another source for this is that when his Marshall preamp broke down in 2016 during the song, he could still play the solo just fine despite not being able to play rhythm for the entire song basically. Adrian didn't know this and soloed over Janick.
I was there that night, and I can attest that did happened.

I didn't know Adrian played with this guitar live (in 1982)... it's an Ibanez Roadstar, right? I wonder if he also used it in the studio?

Attachments

• adrian live '82.png
    adrian live '82.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 40
  • live '82.png
    live '82.png
    472.4 KB · Views: 37
Back