The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard a proper soundboard, but from hearing fan-filmed YouTube videos (wasn't able to 'analyze' it in person), it sounded like Nicko simplified the bass drum pattern where it's not a constant gallop. He'll still do the two 16ths into an 8th note on occasion, but he's simplified it in the verses for sure to two 8th notes on the kick.

EDIT: Compare this to the studio version...

I like TDOFP but I'd put it in the middle of the set.
Yes, it will work great in the middle of the set (after an epic) like TWM.
It doesn't matter if it's played first or last: the only way Nicko can play that pattern in a single pedal is if they slow it down at least to Stratego's speed. Living proof is he said he struggled to play Stratego (and the pattern is pretty much the same but waaaaaaaaay slower). Can you imagine how it would spoil the adrenaline booster that masterpiece is? If that's the case I'd rather not listen to it being spoiled, I'm sorry.

The only recording where he manages to it them properly is on the album itself. Now are you expecting a 65 year old Bruce will manage to hit notes he never reached 100% properly live when he was 28 years old. Man I know that he was tired from the World Slavery tour during the dates of Somewhere on Tour but even so... it's delusional to expect Bruce to at least replicate what his tired voice did back i n 1986/87. Age does not forgive. But in the case of Bruce a slight downtune (a semi tone ar a full tone) would be enough. Now with Nicko there are only 2 options: either we start enjoying Caught Somewhere in Mid Tempo or they don't play it at all (which is something I prefer).
After 2008 I never thought they would play CSIT again, but I think you are underestimating Bruce. Yeah, the pre-chorus and the chorus are really difficult, but so are Aces High, the chorus of TBOS, The Talisman, the last verses in The Legacy, the chorus of TETMD, HBTN, RTTH etc. Bruce is a better singer now than in 1986.

I have faith in Nicko (if they decide to play it).

Maybe they won't play CSIT because ATG will compensate and replace it with Sea Of Madness (if the SIT songs are 5). They could be only 4 (WY, SIASL, HCW and ATG) and thus there will be more room for a deep cut.
Can someone link me to where Nicko said he was struggling with Stratego live? I think I remember he mentioned it was hard during recording as it's a slow gallop, but I'd imagine he's had enough shows to master it by now?
Me too. If the song is difficult for him in the studio, I imagine it will be difficult for him live too, regardless of the number of shows... I guess so.
I've never heard a proper soundboard, but from hearing fan-filmed YouTube videos (wasn't able to 'analyze' it in person), it sounded like Nicko simplified the bass drum pattern where it's not a constant gallop. He'll still do the two 16ths into an 8th note on occasion, but he's simplified it in the verses for sure to two 8th notes on the kick.
How often does he change some drum patterns live for the new songs (Reunion era) or for the old classics? He said he plays TNOTB and HBTN different.

It's really possible as there is a secret date in february 2023 announced as a hint on the band's website, the same hint that we all talked about some weeks ago... Maybe, it's a new album called 'The Future Past' OR a new DVD for the LOTB world tour. ;) It can also be a live CD from 1986's SOT... we'll see. :cool:
Plus, the Akirant artwork for The Future Past tour poster would be a very beautiful cover artwork for a Maiden album. :cool:

Yes, it will work great in the middle of the set (after an epic) like TWM.

After 2008 I never thought they would play CSIT again, but I think you are underestimating Bruce. Yeah, the pre-chorus and the chorus are really difficult, but so are Aces High, the chorus of TBOS, The Talisman, the last verses in The Legacy, the chorus of TETMD, HBTN, RTTH etc. Bruce is a better singer now than in 1986.

I have faith in Nicko (if they decide to play it).

Maybe they won't play CSIT because ATG will compensate and replace it with Sea Of Madness (if the SIT songs are 5). They could be only 4 (WY, SIASL, HCW and ATG) and thus there will be more room for a deep cut.

Me too. If the song is difficult for him in the studio, I imagine it will be difficult for him live too, regardless of the number of shows... I guess so.

How often does he change some drum patterns live for the new songs (Reunion era) or for the old classics? He said he plays TNOTB and HBTN different.
Yeah, Nicko said that he loves experiencing some new drum patterns live as long as it doesn't denature the songs. After all, all the musicians in the band don't play exactly the same way as they're playing on studio recordings. They are some evident changes between studio and live versions of the songs.

To you all, this strange code was for sure an announcement for the Future Past tour, but it was also a clear announcement for something which could start on february or march 2023. ;)
666 ccc 222 <<< GGG QQQ CCC ZZ ZZZZZ
You are talking about this right?
How does FEB/MAR 2023 derive from this

EDIT: Compare this to the studio version...

Exactly what I meant. And this is way slower than CSIT. I mean... I don't know about you but CSIT without that pedal going alongside Harris' bass line loses a lot.
After 2008 I never thought they would play CSIT again, but I think you are underestimating Bruce. Yeah, the pre-chorus and the chorus are really difficult, but so are Aces High, the chorus of TBOS, The Talisman, the last verses in The Legacy, the chorus of TETMD, HBTN, RTTH etc.
CSIT is simply on another level. From the ones you mentioned Aces High is what comes closer but not as demanding (and we all have seen how he's struggled to nail it for decades now).
Bruce is a better singer now than in 1986.
Come one, man... let's not elude ourselves. Bruce can still pull out ther majority of maiden tunes if he's not tired but even compared when to what I consider to be his worst performance tour wise during the 80's (Somewhere On Tour) is not even close anymore when it comes to higher notes. Hey, once again... time does not forgive. But if you want to believe he's singing better now, fine.

I noticed it too. He doesn't play it the same way as the studio version, and I believe it's the same for other songs.
Love the harmony in the chorus though. I wish they did it in the recorded version.
100% agreed: the harmony's truly sweet. And Bruce (really tight here) switching to the second voice at the second half of the chorus adds so much more dynamics to the song. Even though lacking the majority of galloping drums (it's a pitty but hey... give the man a break: he's 70) and some lyric screw ups I like this take even more than the studio version.

CSIT in time has some soaring vocal melodies, but I don't recall anything in that song that's actually as high of a note as anything from Aces High, Flight of Icarus or Where Eagles Dare. It feels about on part octave-wise as, say, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Come one, man... let's not elude ourselves. Bruce can still pull out ther majority of maiden tunes if he's not tired but even compared when to what I consider to be his worst performance tour wise during the 80's (Somewhere On Tour) is not even close anymore when it comes to higher notes. Hey, once again... time does not forgive. But if you want to believe he's singing better now, fine.

I'd genuinely agree Bruce is better now than on the SiT tour specifically, I listened to some bootlegs from that era recently and whilst he has more raw power, his voice is absolutely fried. His technique and the touring schedule now mean he can make more of what he's still got in the tank imo. If some great bootlegs from that era are out there I'd love to hear them, I know for a fact I've not heard a modern recording that sounds remotely as bad as this:

This is obviously a particularly bad example, maybe the worst ever, but we have heard some rough renditions of Aces High on this tour too and they are not as poor.

I'd genuinely agree Bruce is better now than on the SiT tour specifically, I listened to some bootlegs from that era recently and whilst he has more raw power, his voice is absolutely fried. His technique and the touring schedule now mean he can make more of what he's still got in the tank imo. If some great bootlegs from that era are out there I'd love to hear them, I know for a fact I've not heard a modern recording that sounds remotely as bad as this:

This is obviously a particularly bad example, maybe the worst ever, but we have heard some rough renditions of Aces High on this tour too and they are not as poor.

Agreed. What Bruce lacks in power in the upper register nowadays - voice gets deeper as you age - he more than compensates with a MUCH better singing technique.

He is way past his singing prime (that was between 1996 and 2008), but he is still a much better singer nowadays than at any point during the 80s.

Holy shit, pure Bruce. I can't imagine how painful this performance was for him.

Why is everyone so sure that Futureal will be in the set?

I joined the hype, to be honest, but now I'm thinking...why? I mean, their usual go-to in the VXI album is The Clansman. Futureal is a quick, go-to song to give Bruce a breather and pump up the crowd, but they'll already need to rehearse a bunch of "new" songs, some of which will require some brainstorm on how to perform (CSiT, Stranger in a Strange Land, Sea of Madness as a candidate, either Parchment or Hell on Earth), I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just went with their comfy banger in Wrathchild and called it a day.

This is the worst I have heard Bruce sound on gigs I have attended

That whole show was on YT a while ago under the title "Bruce singing sick as a dog". Saying that he's better now than in 86 based upon this example without attending to its unique circumstances is like saying Bruce can no longer sing a lick based upon NOTD (or the rest of the 2019 south american leg): absolute nonsense.

Agreed. What Bruce lacks in power in the upper register nowadays - voice gets deeper as you age - he more than compensates with a MUCH better singing technique.
But that works for EVERY SINGLE SINGER (and to be fair regarding almost every skill)! Your technique increases with the passing of ages... it never diminishes! The problem resides on the "hardware", not the "software" (it never did). And you mentioned a fairly important point: high notes and raw power... something CSIT relies strongly upon.

To sum it up: if you want to believe he's a better singer today than back in the 80's, that he sings Aces High better than in LAD or that he can still belt CSIT or LOTLDR and other hard as hell tunes effortlessly... hey, what can I say? More power to you. :p

This is the worst I have heard Bruce sound on gigs I have attended
Yeah, but once again this is an exception. There are several boots from TFF tour on YT and he does not sound nowhere near as bad as that. Something wrong must have gone on (health related for sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back