Your Maiden blasphemy

Great thread!

Classic Song I Hate:
Children of the Damned. It’s way to repetitive, and just a weak track for the album it’s on. It’s definitely not the weakest (that title goes to Gangland). Don’t get me wrong, I hate other songs way more than this one, but they’re not classics. I still like the song, but it’s just the classic I dislike the most.

Hated Song I Love:
Hooks In You. I’ve seen a big chunk of hate for this one. Like…WHY! I can’t understand why people dislike this song. There is definitely better stuff in NOFTD, but this one deserves WAY less hate.

Classic song I hate: "The Evil That Men Do" isn't actually very good, no matter how many times Bruce whines about the razor's edge.

Hated song I love: "Invaders" is a great album opener. Makes me wanna bury an axe in the chest of a Viking. No wait, that's just me being a Packers fan.

Classic songs I hate: “Iron Maiden” and “The Clansman”. Yuck.

Classic songs that I don’t hate, but think are massively overrated: “Phantom Of The Opera”, “Children Of The Damned”, “To Tame A Land”, and “Paschendale”. I’ll never understand why so many people seem to love these songs so much. They’re OK at best.

Hated songs I love: “Hated” is probably too strong a word, but “The Clairvoyant” and “The Longest Day” are often overlooked or panned, and they’re probably both in my Maiden top 5. “Sun And Steel” and “Flash Of The Blade” are also great.

Classic songs that I don’t hate, but think are massively overrated: “Paschendale”.
Agreed. I never understood the praise for it either and as a Belgian I should be a little biased about the song but no...There are much stronger songs on Dance Of Death.
Hated songs I love: “Hated” is probably too strong a word, but “The Clairvoyant” and “The Longest Day” are often overlooked or panned, and they’re probably both in my Maiden top 5.
Love them both!
“Sun And Steel” and “Flash Of The Blade” are also great.
Yup, out of those two I prefer the first. Great instrumental section.

The Wicker Man and The Thin Line are among the worst Maiden songs, remove them and the album is truly on the level of the 80's ones (it would even have 8 tracks!)
Ghost of the Navigator has an intro that just screams "get hyped", and I often forget The Thin Line exists because of how well OOTSP "ends" the album.

Another one: Fear is the Key deserves much more credit. I don't love the rambling thing either, but the rest of the song is very good. That chorus gets stuck in my head more than any other Maiden chorus.

Classic song I don't like that much: Die With Your Boots On and To Tame A Land.

Overlooked song I like: The Assassin, From Here To Eternity, Weekend Warrior, Judgement Of Heaven, When Two Worlds Collide, Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger, Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier and Shadows Of The Valley.

The instrumental section is great but the verses are the weakest part of the song. Chorus is quite ok.

Fantastic song!

Fantastic song! That slow part that builds up to a climax is my favourite part!

Weakest songs of DOD, bottom barrel stuff for me.
Agree with everything! I still think New Frontier is relatively okay. Gates of Tomorrow is straight up bad, and that chorus is just the worst. Guitars and drums locked together playing standard Maiden rhythm, with standard Maiden chords, and a boring line on top. And the whole thing repeats 4 times. TWICE. TAATG and DLTTEOAS at least have some dynamic variation, Gates of Tomorrow doesn't do even that.

Classic(s) I don't like that much:
The first two sections of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are pains in the ass. Endlessly slow. The solo section is great tho.
Alexander the Great built its legend as the most wanted Iron Maiden song simply because they didn't play it during the tour. It's a very good piece of music, but not that good. They wrote way better music (Dance of Death outclasses it by a lot).
Live after Death's Rime of the Ancient Mariner isn't anything special and it's surpassed by a mile by Flight 666's, and both are outclassed by Santiago del Cile's bootleg. Outstanding performance.
I don't particularly like the studio version of Paschendale, but... (see below)

Overlooked songs I enjoy: Fates Warning is one of their best songs and includes mr. Murray's best solo EVER. Also makes up an exquisite triad with Dejà Vu and Judas Be My Guide.

Random:
Janick Gers' solo in The Clansman from Rock in Rio is the best solo of the entire show. Not by him, in general. And also during both Brave New World and Fear of the Dark he outclasses Dave.
Can I play with Madness? is a song I'd rather expect from Europe than Maiden. Which is not a critique per se, I love Europe. But still.
(continues from above) ...the mid-solo verse + Janick's brutal solo blow me away every time. Maybe the best musical moment of the entire album.
Continuing from the previous, Paschendale's third solo and Brighter than a 1000 Suns's second solo are the best musical depiction of war of their entire career. Wild, brutal, straight to the point. Take no prisoners. Sadly.

Some of these are not "blasphemies" I admit, but random thoughts I came up with.

Last edited:
Classic(s) I don't like that much:
The first two sections of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son are pains in the ass. Endlessly slow. The solo section is great tho.

Overlooked songs I enjoy: Fates Warning is one of their best songs and includes mr. Murray's best solo EVER.

Random:
Janick Gers' solo in The Clansman from Rock in Rio is the best solo of the entire show. Not by him, in general.
Paschendale's third solo and Brighter than a 1000 Suns's second solo are the best musical depiction of war of their entire career.
About Seventh Son - wow.

About Dave's solo in Fates Warning, you mean the intro solo or his main solo? All solos in the song are very good. Best Dave solo? ATG, Powerslave Rime, Hallowed, Prisoner, Parchment, WTRRD, Transylvania

About Janick's solo in Clansman, I like the studio version of it a lot, but live is even better.

I agree that his solos in Paschendale (all solos, actually) and BTATS are so fitting for the theme of the songs. Best Janick solo? Wasting Love, Blood Brothers, BNW, ATSS, The Aftermath, DOD, The Alchemist, DOTC, Parchment (3rd solo)
Hated song I love: The Educated Fool
Fear is the Key deserves much more credit. I don't love the rambling thing either, but the rest of the song is very good.
^ Great choices. Those melodies and solos!

When Iron Maiden played in Gothenburg this past July, a stranger threatened to beat the shit out of me after I said that Killers was the last ranked album of theirs.

That's fine, because I also threatened to beat the shit out of him when he said that he didn't like the newer songs because he hadn't listened to Senjutsu.

Last edited:
Loved song I "hate": "For The Greater Good of God"
Past the intro, which is good to play to check if your guitar is in tune, I'm still waiting for the song to become interesting at some point.

Hated songs I love:
- "From Here To Eternity" because it's not that easy to write a catchy rock n roll tune.
- "Fear is the Key", because it is not every day that Maiden comes up with a good, melodic chorus.
- "Fortunes of War" because of Dave's solo, an epitome of what his style is all about... and a lesson in tasty legato.

Last edited:
Loved song I "hate": "For The Greater Good of God"
Past the intro, which is good to play to check if your guitar is in tune, I'm still waiting for the song to become interesting at some point.
Kinda agree. I love the bridge ('Please tell me now what life is' etc.) but the chorus is frankly embarrassing and the song repeats itself way too much. Literally 4-5 minutes repeating the exact same pattern, it literally never starts. There is an old video by Jared Dines in which he mocks the stereotypes about drummers and rock bands, and in one of them he is playing the part of a drummer who never gets the 'cue' (i.e., the measure after which the song starts running). The result is basically and endless crescendo which leads to nowhere. That's For the Greater Good of God.

Very good lyrics, tho.

Back