LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with Airbourne? IMO they rock, haven't seen them live tho.
The songs sounded incredibly samey, being mostly in the same key, the same vocal register and almost exclusively using one drum rhythm and tempo. The guitar solos were the same, the stage antics (throwing half filled beer cups into the crowd) weren't really my thing. The frontman is an absolute maniac, credit where credit's due. The music and the show itself I couldn't get into at all. I was in the third row and bored to tears.

Songs after BNW
Have to disagree. A lot of Maiden songs are in E minor of course, but we've got plenty in other keys. Many of the songs also have key changes or modal mixture in them, so it's not as monotonous. Tempo and drum rhythms are varied as well. Sure, lately they've been writing more mid-tempo songs, but there's still variation in there (12/8 in TBOS for example, the triplet feel Montsegur-esque part). Bruce is using much more of his vocal range compared to what I heard from the Airbourne singer.

Any of those criticisims was much worse in the case of Airbourne than they were for Maiden, despite the memes.

The songs sounded incredibly samey, being mostly in the same key, the same vocal register and almost exclusively using one drum rhythm and tempo. The guitar solos were the same, the stage antics (throwing half filled beer cups into the crowd) weren't really my thing. The frontman is an absolute maniac, credit where credit's due. The music and the show itself I couldn't get into at all. I was in the third row and bored to tears.
Exactly.
I looked at him unconcerned, half asleep, as if he was a wild alien in another world. The music didn't grab me at all. And I usually find it very hard not to rock out to music.
I thought the forum could suggest an opening band to the Iron Maiden management, so we get someone better next year but i see we can't agree either.
Some want Airbourne, some Powerwolf and I don't want any of them. :)

Because I've got a bit of time and I'm definitely not procrastinating I decided to go through the reunion songs and see what key they're in :D
In the case of many key changes I'll go for the main key.

Brave New World:

TWM: E minor
GOTN: D minor
BNW: D minor
BB: E minor
TM: E minor
DOM: A minor
TFA: E minor
TN: E phrygian
OOTSP: E minor
TTLBLH: F# minor

Dance Of Death:

WD: E mixolydian (G mixolydian in the pre chorus, A mixolydian in the chorus)
R: D minor
NML: A minor
M: E minor
DOD: E minor / E dorian
GOT: G mixolydian / G minor
TNF: D minor (with strong A mixolydian tendencies in the verses)
P: E minor
FITS: E minor
AOI: E minor with a lot of sharp 6s (think the James Bond theme)
J: A minor (Modal mixture in the verses, flipping between A minor and A major)

A Matter Of Life And Death:

DW: E minor
TCDR: E minor
BTATS: E minor
TP: E minor
TLD: E minor
OOTS: E minor (with a bit of dorian here and there)
TROBB: E minor / E phrygian
FTGGOG: E minor
LOL (lol): E minor
TL: D minor (finally something else :D)

The Final Frontier:

S15: Based around the E note, with tons of tritones giving it almost a locrian feel.
TFF: E minor
ED: E minor / E blues
MOM: D minor
CH: E minor
TA: A minor, D mixolydian verses, D minor in the Magus part, E minor right after
IOA: E mixolydian flat 6, A mixolydian flat 6 in the verses. E minor and phrygian in the "fertility Mother Goddess" part. Stepwise descending motions afterwards.
S: E minor
TT: D minor
TMWWBK: A minor, E minor, E mixolydian
WTWWB: E minor

The Book Of Souls:

IESF: D minor
SOL: G minor / G blues. An absolute clusterfuck of a song, not gonna go further into the keys here lol
TGU: E minor
TRATB: E phrygian, E minor + modal mixture E minor / major
WTRRD: E minor
TBOS: E minor / E phrygian
DOG: B minor / E minor
SOTV: E minor
TOAC: A minor
TMOS: C minor (!)
EOTC: E minor

Senjutsu:

S: E phrygian
S (lol): E minor with some tritones for variety
TWOTW: D minor / D dorian
LIALW: E minor
DOFP: E minor
TTM: D minor
DH: E (harmonic) minor
DOTC: A minor-ish, some mixolydian
TP: D minor / phrygian, E minor / phrygian
HOE: E minor

-------------

So a good 2/3rds of the songs since the reunion are written in some kind of E. The worst offender is AMOLAD, where almost the whole album is in E minor. A few of the songs have key changes in the mid sections and songs like BTATS play around with time signatures, so it's not as monotonous while listening as it seems on paper. I'm not motivated enough to go and look through the time signatures though lol
We've got 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 7/8 and 12/8 throughout the songs. There might be a couple of other ones, but I don't remember them all.

IOA's "Rush sounding" middle break is in 7/4, no?

Not surprised by the over-reliance on E Minor on AMOLAD - I've always found that album to be a bit too "samey" to listen to all in one sitting.
That was my thinking too. I like AMOLAD but always kinda felt its a full album of songs that all feel far too similar. To find out that they're almost all in the same key makes perfect sense in that context.

Because I've got a bit of time and I'm definitely not procrastinating I decided to go through the reunion songs and see what key they're in :D
In the case of many key changes I'll go for the main key.

Brave New World:

TWM: E minor
GOTN: D minor
BNW: D minor
BB: E minor
TM: E minor
DOM: A minor
TFA: E minor
TN: E phrygian
OOTSP: E minor
TTLBLH: F# minor

Dance Of Death:

WD: E mixolydian (G mixolydian in the pre chorus, A mixolydian in the chorus)
R: D minor
NML: A minor
M: E minor
DOD: E minor / E dorian
GOT: G mixolydian / G minor
TNF: D minor (with strong A mixolydian tendencies in the verses)
P: E minor
FITS: E minor
AOI: E minor with a lot of sharp 6s (think the James Bond theme)
J: A minor (Modal mixture in the verses, flipping between A minor and A major)

A Matter Of Life And Death:

DW: E minor
TCDR: E minor
BTATS: E minor
TP: E minor
TLD: E minor
OOTS: E minor (with a bit of dorian here and there)
TROBB: E minor / E phrygian
FTGGOG: E minor
LOL (lol): E minor
TL: D minor (finally something else :D)

The Final Frontier:

S15: Based around the E note, with tons of tritones giving it almost a locrian feel.
TFF: E minor
ED: E minor / E blues
MOM: D minor
CH: E minor
TA: A minor, D mixolydian verses, D minor in the Magus part, E minor right after
IOA: E mixolydian flat 6, A mixolydian flat 6 in the verses. E minor and phrygian in the "fertility Mother Goddess" part. Stepwise descending motions afterwards.
S: E minor
TT: D minor
TMWWBK: A minor, E minor, E mixolydian
WTWWB: E minor

The Book Of Souls:

IESF: D minor
SOL: G minor / G blues. An absolute clusterfuck of a song, not gonna go further into the keys here lol
TGU: E minor
TRATB: E phrygian, E minor + modal mixture E minor / major
WTRRD: E minor
TBOS: E minor / E phrygian
DOG: B minor / E minor
SOTV: E minor
TOAC: A minor
TMOS: C minor (!)
EOTC: E minor

Senjutsu:

S: E phrygian
S (lol): E minor with some tritones for variety
TWOTW: D minor / D dorian
LIALW: E minor
DOFP: E minor
TTM: D minor
DH: E (harmonic) minor
DOTC: A minor-ish, some mixolydian
TP: D minor / phrygian, E minor / phrygian
HOE: E minor

-------------

So a good 2/3rds of the songs since the reunion are written in some kind of E. The worst offender is AMOLAD, where almost the whole album is in E minor. A few of the songs have key changes in the mid sections and songs like BTATS play around with time signatures, so it's not as monotonous while listening as it seems on paper. I'm not motivated enough to go and look through the time signatures though lol
We've got 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 7/8 and 12/8 throughout the songs. There might be a couple of other ones, but I don't remember them all.

Would love to see a breakdown like this for Rush, Yes, Genesis (especially in regards to Tony Banks' subtly complex key shifts on his keys), Jethro Tull ... the list goes on!

Would love to see a breakdown like this for Rush, Yes, Genesis (especially in regards to Tony Banks' subtly complex key shifts on his keys), Jethro Tull ... the list goes on!
Someone else would have to do that though lol

Just to add to your pont, you could say the same for heavy metal in general.
Yup, most bands write the majority of their songs in the minor key of the lowest string of their guitars .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back