Rate all official Maiden live albums worst to best

From least favourite to favourite ("worst" and "best" are two subjective words to make sense)

Book of Souls - Live Chapter
Nights of the Dead
BBC Archives
A Real Dead One
Death On The Road
Rock In Rio
Raising Hell
Flight 666
Live At Donington
(Maiden Japan if it counts)
En Vivo
Maiden England
A Real Live One
Beast Over Hammersmith
Live After Death

From least favourite to favourite ("worst" and "best" are two subjective words to make sense)

Book of Souls - Live Chapter
Nights of the Dead
BBC Archives
A Real Dead One
Death On The Road
Rock In Rio
Raising Hell
Flight 666
Live At Donington
(Maiden Japan if it counts)
En Vivo
Maiden England
Beast Over Hammersmith
A Real Live One
Live After Death

The position of ARLO in your list is really interesting. Just curious: What makes it your 3rd fave Maiden live album? It's low end for many people.

Can't be bothered thinking about the finer details of ranking albums, but would rather divide them up into tiers. A Real Live One and A Real Dead One are the worst by a mile, in all aspects, sloppy performances, Bruce's heart not in it, ridiculous track listing that don't reflect the real running order of a gig. They still have some good versions on them though.

Worst:
A Real Dead One, A Real Live One and Live at Donington. Donington being a good bit better than the other two.

Best essential live albums:
Live After Death, Maiden England, Rock in Rio

Middle tier:
all the rest.

Can't be bothered thinking about the finer details of ranking albums, but would rather divide them up into tiers. A Real Live One and A Real Dead One are the worst by a mile, in all aspects, sloppy performances, Bruce's heart not in it, ridiculous track listing that don't reflect the real running order of a gig. They still have some good versions on them though.

Worst:
A Real Dead One, A Real Live One and Live at Donington. Donington being a good bit better than the other two.

Best essential live albums:
Live After Death, Maiden England, Rock in Rio

Middle tier:
all the rest.
Donnington isn't bad, Bruce is killing it here

Donnington isn't bad, Bruce is killing it here

Yep I think it's a pretty fair representation of how Maiden were live at the time, much better that ARLO and ARDO, although some versions on ARLO and ARDO are better than Donington (and BQOBD on ARLO is the same as on Donington despite what the label says:lol:)

But my issue with it is that Maiden at that time were very raw live, sometimes this resulted in great versions but was also just as likely to result in sloppy versions. Not a great live guitar sound either in that era.

Not to be a contrarian, but ARLO/ARDO, Donington 92 and Raising Hell are all better than LAD IMO. LAD is very noisy with that (fake?) audience mixed in too loud, and the vocals are quite weak by comparison. The other ones all sound very direct and raw, which I prefer. ARL/DO has awesome performances of NOTB, Hallowed and obviously FOTD, and Raising Hell has the best performance of Hallowed ever.

Having said that, Hammersmith and En Vivo are the best live albums IMO.

From stuff on my shelf:

A real live dead one
Live at donington
Book of souls live chapter
Nights of the dead
Live after death
Death on the road
Beast over hammersmith
Flight 666
Rock in rio

I don’t have En vivo and Maiden england as live albums, but I would put En vivo between NOTD and LAD, and Maiden england between DOTR And BOH.

It is thanks to this record (more precisely, cassette! ) that I got into the band in the first place. ;) Moreover, it features the best live version of "Fear of the Dark" in my opinion.
Yep... When BQOBD was on MTV, I bought FOTD and then LAD on cassette, and a bit later I got ARLO and then ARDO transferred to cassette from two friends. :D Exciting times!

Worst

Nights of the Dead (great packaging though)
A Real Dead One
Book of Souls Live Chapter
A Real Live One
Beast Over Hammersmith
Live After Death
Maiden England
En Vivo
Live at Donnington
Death on the Road
Flight 666
Rock in Rio

Best

Live/Dead one was a proper live release at that time. They really sounded raw and "sloppy", with Bruce being Bruce from that period.

NOTD is just very bad album and total failure. It is not a real live experience from this tour.

Back