LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a little while since the gig and I'd like to share my thoughts as I believe my perspective is a little unique. I am Australian, but of Greek background. Been going to maiden gigs around the world since 2010. I love the band and forgive many of their imperfections, both musical and personal.

At one point, and I can't believe I'm saying this because I am the antithesis of a snowflake and hate cancel culture, I considered walking out of the show after Bruce's outburst.

In his little speech before Blood Brothers, Bruce talked about how he doesn't see race or religion, "all that matters is you're here tonight, part of the maiden family" as though we are all above that. And to be honest, that's absolutely been my experience amongst the fans. However, it appears that Bruce does see race. He chose to use the word "Greek" in the pejorative because by bringing a flare and not being sophisticated enough to understand it impacts the band and Bruce's voice, this guy is a barbarian in Bruce's eyes.

It may be true that this guy is a cunt. I was thrilled to hear how good Bruce's voice was on this tour after hearing him struggle in Argentina and Chile in 2019, so I'm glad he's taking good care of it. But this guy's Greek nationality has nothing to do with his behaviour. There are cunts in every corner of the world.

I had to push a guy away from me in a circle pit who had a flare that was bothering me. I discovered I have a little burn from it today. But that's part and parcel of seeing maiden in places like Greece. It comes with the territory; you gotta deal with it. Flares are dangerous and they suck, but they also look super cool. I don't like that security made no effort to stop them being brought into the venue, but they were. I don't like that people light them and it puts people at risk. I don't like the smell. But I do love the atmosphere they create and how they look.

Bruce is well within his rights to walk offstage like a baby if he wants. I'd totally forgive him for that. Also fine to call everyone with a flare a cunt. They usually are. But his choice of the word "Greek" tells us that Bruce does in fact see race, and that he idenfies "animalistic" behaviour as inherently Greek, as though all 50,000 people in there would do the same.

And I wish it weren't the case, but if he doesn't address it publically, I cannot ever forgive him.

From a personal perspective I've heard "Greek cunt" directed at me or about me, in my own country, Australia, coming from people who look more like Bruce than they look like me.

It may seem innocent to many here but it hit me hard, and I think it really hurt for the Greeks who understood the context too.

It sucked the metaphorical oxygen out of the crowd around me, maybe the whole stadium —I don't know— and though things picked up again around the time they played The Clansman, the momentum was lost and the show was flat.

It's merely a coincidence that I am disgusted and identify as Greek, but if the same thing happened in Bulgaria or China or Scotland or anywhere else, I'd feel exactly the same way. There's no room for racism, especially in the Iron Maiden family.

I hope Bruce is called out for it and is forced to respond, because lord knows he won't do it of his own volition.

Flares are part of celebration in S.Europe, we use flares on weedings, football games and concerts.

Yes it is dangerous but it looks more dangerous than actually it is, if person who ignite the flare knows to handle it.

Talking about security, belive me there is always a way to get something in venue if you want to. There is no security or police than can stop it.

And Bruce, on this tour he looks motivated just like he was motivated on Real Live tour.
Indeed, it might be not dangerous when handled with care, but thinking how some are not quite near sober or get simply out of mind when handling them and getting immersed to Maiden show.
Seems to be usual thing happening in the games like Premier League or some F1 circuits aswell.
There should be professionals handling them but it might look more dangerous than it is, the smoke is not good thing anyways.
I just hope, every and each time these things happen that everything will on safe as planned.
Nothing might not happen, but if it happens then the few people ruin the evening for all.

Is there something seriously wrong with Bruce or why he has been acting a bit weird here and there now (as according to the reports here)?

Is there something seriously wrong with Bruce or why he has been acting a bit weird here and there now (as according to the reports here)?
I could be wrong here, but I think he's always been like this. Just like with many aspects of life, 24 hour news and mobile phone footage instantly uploaded makes us more aware of what's going on.

But this guy's Greek nationality has nothing to do with his behaviour. There are cunts in every corner of the world.
Yep, I agree. Iron Maiden shows are international and have people from around the world from many different countries. It could be someone from totally other country than Greece doing and lighting those flares. I think he made mistake especially on that one word.

It's been a little while since the gig and I'd like to share my thoughts as I believe my perspective is a little unique. I am Australian, but of Greek background. Been going to maiden gigs around the world since 2010. I love the band and forgive many of their imperfections, both musical and personal.

At one point, and I can't believe I'm saying this because I am the antithesis of a snowflake and hate cancel culture, I considered walking out of the show after Bruce's outburst.

In his little speech before Blood Brothers, Bruce talked about how he doesn't see race or religion, "all that matters is you're here tonight, part of the maiden family" as though we are all above that. And to be honest, that's absolutely been my experience amongst the fans. However, it appears that Bruce does see race. He chose to use the word "Greek" in the pejorative because by bringing a flare and not being sophisticated enough to understand it impacts the band and Bruce's voice, this guy is a barbarian in Bruce's eyes.

It may be true that this guy is a cunt. I was thrilled to hear how good Bruce's voice was on this tour after hearing him struggle in Argentina and Chile in 2019, so I'm glad he's taking good care of it. But this guy's Greek nationality has nothing to do with his behaviour. There are cunts in every corner of the world.

I had to push a guy away from me in a circle pit who had a flare that was bothering me. I discovered I have a little burn from it today. But that's part and parcel of seeing maiden in places like Greece. It comes with the territory; you gotta deal with it. Flares are dangerous and they suck, but they also look super cool. I don't like that security made no effort to stop them being brought into the venue, but they were. I don't like that people light them and it puts people at risk. I don't like the smell. But I do love the atmosphere they create and how they look.

Bruce is well within his rights to walk offstage like a baby if he wants. I'd totally forgive him for that. Also fine to call everyone with a flare a cunt. They usually are. But his choice of the word "Greek" tells us that Bruce does in fact see race, and that he idenfies "animalistic" behaviour as inherently Greek, as though all 50,000 people in there would do the same.

And I wish it weren't the case, but if he doesn't address it publically, I cannot ever forgive him.

From a personal perspective I've heard "Greek cunt" directed at me or about me, in my own country, Australia, coming from people who look more like Bruce than they look like me.

It may seem innocent to many here but it hit me hard, and I think it really hurt for the Greeks who understood the context too.

It sucked the metaphorical oxygen out of the crowd around me, maybe the whole stadium —I don't know— and though things picked up again around the time they played The Clansman, the momentum was lost and the show was flat.

It's merely a coincidence that I am disgusted and identify as Greek, but if the same thing happened in Bulgaria or China or Scotland or anywhere else, I'd feel exactly the same way. There's no room for racism, especially in the Iron Maiden family.

I hope Bruce is called out for it and is forced to respond, because lord knows he won't do it of his own volition.

He is a cunt. And most probably a racist. I’m done with him.

Hear, hear!

Sadly other band members had spouted some racist crap in the past. :(

On a related note, does anyone still believe Bruce means anything he says before Blood Brothers?

I think he was more all-encompassing in his insults: greek … (racist), cunt (sexist), cocksucker (homophobic).
:angry-:
I strongly recommend "poo on a stick" for next time.

In Köln, he at least climbed over the barrier to greet the people on the far right of the stadium, so he's not generally bored and undedicated.

In terms of offending the audience, I have experienced far worse. But it sure sucks if you feel disrespected by the artist you came to see. Interesting tho that people are offended by the “racist” word “Greek”, while the sexist nature of “cunt” doesn’t seem to matter. But whatever politically correct way of cursing they prefer. (—:

Regarding 'Greek c*t'. There's a chance that Bruce did not meant it to sound racistic. Maybe he more referred to a man from Greece, where they are playing tonight. Remember, they are on tour. One night in Germany, next in Denmark, another one in Greece. He does not know man's name, who lighted the flare, so he referrs to him as c*t from a country in which we are playing tonight. If i'd be on a vacation in Latvia and I would meet a strange man who would show me undesirable attention, speaking with friends i'd call him "that crazy Latvian". It would not mean, that I am racist towards Latvians, just that I've met a strange acting man in that country. I don't know man's name, but I need to name him somehow.
Just a thought. Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree. Iron Maiden shows are international and have people from around the world from many different countries. It could be someone from totally other country than Greece doing and lighting those flares. I think he made mistake especially on that one word.

I might be wrong, but if someone pissed him off somewhere in the UK I can't imagine him calling them a "scouse cunt" or a "brummie cunt", I think he made a mistake in a fit of anger, but it was still a shame that "greek" came so easily to his lips.

Regarding 'Greek c*t'. There's a chance that Bruce did not meant it to sound racistic. Maybe he more referred to a man from Greece, where they are playing tonight. Remember, they are on tour. One night in Germany, next in Denmark, another one in Greece. He does not know man's name, who lighted the flare, so he referrs to him as c*t from a country in which they are playing tonight. If i'd be on vacation in Latvia and I would meet strange man who would show me undesirable attention, speaking with friends i'd call him "that crazy Latvian". It would not mean, that I am racist towards Latvians, just that I've met a strange acting man in that country. I don't know man's name, but I need to name him somehow.
Just a thought. Sorry for my English.
I wholeheartedly agree with you here and this is difficult matter to discuss. Maybe he could have used another word so most of the people wouldn't have been so confused. I think, he seriously only meant that one person in the crowd but somehow got loose word coming out of the lips, unfortunately it was something that wasn't the best for the situation. While the word clearly was out of context addressed to the whole crowd, I can surely understand the harm of the smoke to the stage which happened previously. Most other occasions that Bruce has faced through the years (lasers and stuff) has given valid reason to instant feedback given from the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back