Russia invades Ukraine

“Two American military officials said that many Russian generals are talking on unsecured phones and radios. In at least one instance, they said, the Ukrainians intercepted a general’s call, geolocated it, and attacked his location, killing him and his staff.”

This just seems ridiculous to me. This is the same sort of thing that got the Russian Army crushed in 1914. It's 108 years later and they're still doing it.

Plenty of people that warned against Russia were dismissed as cold war nostalgists. "80s called, they want their foreign policy back" comes to mind

So today Putin has made his ceasefire conditions known (to Turkey at least):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60785754

Some of this makes a sort of sense - areas right on the edge, that basically consider themselves Russian anyway, there's a sense to just bringing them into Russian. De-nazification? Insofar as there are any Nazis to de- the place of, I don't think too many people would have a problem with that.

But Ukraine disarming and never being allowed to join Nato? That seems to leave them very exposed and wholly held to ransom by Russia (who have already proved they can't be trusted here).

Also Putin has now thrown a propaganda party:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60793319
:(

While excluding the most obvious Nazi in power .. himself
True enough. He's like a Stalin in the making, without the communist ideology. And with the killing of potential opponents happening on a smaller scale, but in a more spectacular way (having them poisoned with plenty news coverage rather than just having them taken to the backyard and shot without further ceremony)

I read an interesting article yesterday, where parallels between Putin and Stalin were made and a major difference was why they felt a need to undermine the idea of an Ukrainian nation. Under Stalin, you had the more-or-less planned starvation catastrophe called the Holodomor, and you had mass deportations of Ukrainians to Siberia. With Putin's rule happening in a time where Ukraine is, in fact, an independent country, I guess he's doing all he can with the annexation of Crimea, the destabilization of Donbas and now the invasion.

Stalin's motivation was that in the Soviet Union, there was no room for the more or less independent farmer class that made up a large proportion of the Ukrainian population, and of course any national identity was unwelcome. Putin, on the other hand, sees Ukraine as part of the Russian realm, something that historically belongs to the Russian nation and anyone who feels otherwise needs to be crushed.

Last edited:
True enough. He's like a Stalin in the making, without the communist ideology. And with the killing of potential opponents happening on a smaller scale, but in a more spectacular way (having them poisoned with plenty news coverage rather than just having them taken to the backyard and shot without further ceremony)

I read an interesting article yesterday, where parallels between Putin and Stalin were made and a major difference was why they felt a need to undermine the idea of an Ukrainian nation. Under Stalin, you had the more-or-less planned starvation catastrophe called the Holodomor, and you had mass deportations of Ukrainians to Siberia. With Putin's rule happening in a time where Ukraine is, in fact, an independent country, I guess he's doing all he can with the annexation of Crimea, the destabilization of Donbas and now the invasion.
It is a real shame for a variety of reasons. One of which being all the optimism at the end of the Cold War is fully dead and buried. The world had a great chance and fucked it up big time. Personally, I think "the west" owes Ukraine (and Georgia, Belarus, and the Chechnyans and others ) a big apology and the best way to do it is to help them with everything possible (and more) now and later by giving them what they need to rebuild. "The world" fucked up after WWI, WWII, and the Cold War ... hopefully the 4th time will be a charm

To add, I am pretty emotional about this and take it personally and am just generally pissed about the whole situation.

I think we should have a problem with it. A Nazi will be everybody who does not support Putin. Putin’s Nazi No. 1 is President Zelenskyy.
That's what I mean: "de-nazification" is only possible if Nazis are actually present - otherwise the question is simply irrelevant.

And pointing out the flaws in Putin's "logic" won't get us any closer to stopping him, unfortunately.

Not sure if this is the right thread for posting this, but next week there's going to be a big charity concert for Ukraine in the UK

1648043944691.png

LIVE TWO-HOUR SPECTACULAR TO RAISE FUNDS FOR HUMANITARIAN APPEAL
BROADCAST EXCLUSIVELY ON ITV, STV, ITV HUB AND STV PLAYER
TICKETS ON SALE TUESDAY 22 MARCH FROM MIDDAY

Nile Rodgers & Chic, Becky Hill, The Kingdom Choir, Manic Street Preachers and Tom Odell are confirmed to perform at Concert for Ukraine, a two hour fundraiser event raising money for the humanitarian appeal in Ukraine on Tuesday 29 March.

They will join the previously announced Camila Cabello, Ed Sheeran, Emeli Sandé, Gregory Porter and Snow Patrol. Global radio presenters, Capital Breakfast host Roman Kemp, Capital FM’s Marvin Humes and Heart’s Emma Bunton are also confirmed to host the concert.

ITV, STV
and Livewire Pictures are joining forces with the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and the Media & Entertainment group Global to bring together names from the world of music for a unique event spreading a message of hope and support, and most importantly, raising funds for the ongoing DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.

The live show will broadcast across ITV, STV, ITV Hub and STV Player and is produced by Livewire Pictures. Global, the Media & Entertainment Group, is joining as media partner, and Marks & Spencer will be headline sponsors for the broadcast. The concert will take place at the Resorts World Arena, Birmingham.

All sponsorship and advertising revenue generated from the broadcast of the event (primetime across both linear and simulcast), which is expected to raise over £3 million, will also be donated by ITV to the DEC appeal.

The broadcast will combine emotive music performances with short films recognising the ongoing relief efforts and the plight faced by people affected by the conflict in Ukraine. Viewers will be able to donate money to the cause throughout the evening.

ITV has a long history of supporting DEC appeals, most recently through an appeal for the Afghanistan Crisis in December 2021. Additionally, ITV has raised £60 million for Soccer Aid for UNICEF’s global work since the show began, and regularly raises awareness of different charitable causes and organisations through daytime and regional news coverage.

Global will be broadcasting live from backstage at the concert on the night with a show across the Heart and Capital networks – the first simulcast for an event of such importance. The two-hour show will feature key performance moments, interviews and backstage atmosphere from the artists performing as well as detail on how listeners can donate to the DEC appeal.

Back