Maiden’s political silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
They remain silent because they are business-minded and value that over anything else. They'd rather turn a blind eye to atrocities than risk alienating a potential fan/customer. It's gross but they've always been that way and I suspect it's largely to do with boring old Rod.

They remain silent because they are business-minded and value that over anything else. They'd rather turn a blind eye to atrocities than risk alienating a potential fan/customer. It's gross but they've always been that way and I suspect it's largely to do with boring old Rod.
What's Maiden gonna do anyway? Why does it matter if a 70 year old rockstar says war is bad or not?

Some older rock stars speak out.

I don't understand why age would matter? One could argue that Bruce's experiences in Sarajevo could be brought to bear, but age?

I'm sure you all know the term 'influencer'. Maiden boys have access to wide audiences. Maybe, brainwashed russian fan of theirs, will think for a second: 'if my favorite band condemned my country's actions against Ukraine, maybe we are really doing something wrong there.' Maybe he will search for alternative information channel, not propaganda tv.

Some older rock stars speak out.

I'd feel compelled to do that too if I had this picture of me floating around:
medvedev_dp.jpg

I really don't understand why is it so important that Maiden gives their opinion about this war? Is it going to change anything?? Is it mandatory that they express what they think about every single matter that goes on all around the world? If they don't...are they cowards, are they bad guys??? For sure they have their opinion as each one of us has his but what's the point? There are some artists that are very political in their songs, in the way they deal with it but this has never been Maiden's way from day one. So why should they change now? And again, knowing that they condemn this war, is it going to make some people love them more or less??? As far as i'm concerned, Maiden is about music and this is what matters to me, their opinions about politics, events in the world, what they see as being good or bad, as being wrong or righ...well it's just their opinions and I'd rather not know what are their favorite politicians, the ones they dislike and so on...If they make a public statement as DP just did, so what??? If they don't...so what as well? Back in the day, coming from a band like Rage against the machine or similar bands, of course we expect them to make their opinion known asap because they're a political and if they didn't then they could be called cowards...Maiden, not really or unless after 40 years they totally decide to change the way they handle things...

Well, Bruce, who is probably the only one who would state something, is somewhere in the US doing his eternal book tour.

Meanwhile, Xi Smallwood and Li Harris, probably think that silence is the best way to keep fans.

Back in the day, coming from a band like Rage against the machine or similar bands, of course we expect them to make their opinion known asap because they're a political and if they didn't then they could be called cowards...

Exactly that.

Maiden, not really or unless after 40 years they totally decide to change the way they handle things...

Or after seeing that everybody does they decide to go with the flow. But again, it would probably be a business decision, because as you correctly said they are no Rage Against the Machine.

Well, Bruce, who is probably the only one who would state something, is somewhere in the US doing his eternal book tour.

Meanwhile, Xi Smallwood and Li Harris, probably think that silence is the best way to keep fans.

Rod for sure. For Steve, I genuinely believe his stance is honest.
If Steve believed that speaking out is the best course of action he would have done it. Not as Maiden -he’d abide to Rod’s recommendation -but as Steve Harris, he would. But that is not Steve Harris.
The way I see it is that Steve doesn’t speak out of respect. He respects the fact that he’s not an expert so he ends up speaking for a very few things publicly. He’s been that way all along. Whatever he has to say, he does so with with lyrics. I respect that immensely.

Last but not least, I get who’s Xi Smallwood, but who’s Li Harris? Bruce? :nuts:

Exactly that.

Or after seeing that everybody does they decide to go with the flow. But again, it would probably be a business decision, because as you correctly said they are no Rage Against the Machine.

Rod for sure. For Steve, I genuinely believe his stance is honest.
If Steve believed that speaking out is the best course of action he would have done it. Not as Maiden -he’d abide to Rod’s recommendation -but as Steve Harris, he would. But that is not Steve Harris.
The way I see it is that Steve doesn’t speak out of respect. He respects the fact that he’s not an expert so he ends up speaking for a very few things publicly. He’s been that way all along. Whatever he has to say, he does so with with lyrics. I respect that immensely.

Last but not least, I get who’s Xi Smallwood, but who’s Li Harris? Bruce? :nuts:
It's a joke regarding Maiden's neutral stance, comparing them to China, in particular president Xi and premier Li.

Metallica haven't made an official statement either, but their All Within My Hands foundation has donated $100k to the World Central Kitchen to help feed Ukrainian refugees. Honestly, this is the kind of thing I'd rather see bands doing rather than Facebook posts stating the obvious.

I think, for me, it's that performative statements matter to individual people. If there was a Russian on the fence somewhere and his favourite band said, look man, this shit is evil, maybe that one particular guy moves from support to neutral on Putin, or neutral to oppose. I don't personally need Maiden to influence that decision, and I don't think it has a lot of potential impact, but there's some.

The other piece is that we're living through a challenging time in history, when there's a very clear-cut choice as to who is right, and who is wrong, and we know from history that those who pick the wrong side or say nothing are going to end up being remembered for those choices. We've been down this road before.

Am I mistaken or didn't they get paid a million quid to play a private gig?

Well, years ago I read that Deep Purple played at Medvedev's birthday party, but I haven't been able to verify this. The photos are real though, and their meeting was widely publicised:

etc., etc.

The band's statements very clearly seem to be in reference to this meeting. So yeah, there is some more background to this than just old rockers speaking their minds, and it's not really a good reference for Maiden, who have very much stayed away from being involved with political leaders.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not saying I don't believe that the opinions of Deep Purple's members aren't genuine, I'm just saying they have more reason to publicly distance themselves from Russian politics than Maiden do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back