Rant Thread

Working from home has finally turned into playing Total War at home. I need me some boundaries

German efficiency:

"Good that you called me today, because I will be on holiday the next weeks. I'll give you a contact."
"Hello, I could not reach you and I'm not available today anymore and I will be on holiday next week."
"Hi, we need to discuss something but I'm on holiday next week, so the week after?"

822.gif

German efficiency:

"Good that you called me today, because I will be on holiday the next weeks. I'll give you a contact."
"Hello, I could not reach you and I'm not available today anymore and I will be on holiday next week."
"Hi, we need to discuss something but I'm on holiday next week, so the week after?"

822.gif

Germany is so efficient anyone can go on vacation, any time. Success! :cheers:

E-mail: I'd really like to have this info because I need to get shit done.
Reply: Thank you for your message. I am currently out of office and will be back on Monday.

German efficiency:

822.gif

So I finally got this discussed and forwarded the information and, as a reply got: "Automatic reply: Thank you for your e-mail. I am on holiday until 1st November and will get back to you then."

822.gif
822.gif

I like this German efficiency series! :D

Here's a rant /disappointment towards myself:
So I am out on a business dinner the other day. I have a Marathon in the works so don't drink as much as the Client's people do, which has been noticed and mentioned.
At some point the highest ranking of them all -who is quite drunk- gives me a cigarette. I tell him I don't smoke. He insists.

<It's been 7+ years I've quit chain smoking and 2 1/2 years that I absolutely haven't touch it>

Feeling guilty that I'm not as drunk as them, I take the cigarette and light it. I put the smoke in my mouth only one time and that without inhaling. He calms down and turn his attention elsewhere.
I keep holding the cigarette on my hand without smoking.

Now believe it or not, the next day I felt my lungs heavy and 2 weeks later when I see someone smoking on the street or movie I'm craving it.

*To smoke just one cigarette has led me to chain smoking for a month or more. Also the more you break, the harder is to quit again.
(It has happened to me many times during the last 7 years).
This time at least I didn't smoke it, but again something inside me broke, thus the cravings.

:
So I am out on a business dinner the other day. I have a Marathon in the works so don't drink as much as the Client's people do, which has been noticed and mentioned.
At some point the highest ranking of them all -who is quite drunk- gives me a cigarette. I tell him I don't smoke. He insists.

Feeling guilty that I'm not as drunk as them, I take the cigarette and light it. I put the smoke in my mouth only one time and that without inhaling. He calms down and turn his attention elsewhere.
I keep holding the cigarette on my hand without smoking.

Can I ask what job you have where you have to get drunk and smoke with your clients regardless of whether you want to as that seems strange to this simple soul?

So, I wanted to upgrade my pretty recent Mac from Catalina to Monterey. I made a full backup, downloaded and ran the Monterey installer, and about halfway through I get some bullshit five-digit negative number error saying it can’t verify my file volume. So I boot into recovery mode, run a disk diagnostic, and it finds nothing. I then open up the details and see that it actually found an invalid parent node on my data drive and couldn’t complete the verification process, but it exited the check without an error anyway. WTF.

After a bunch of Googling with no luck, I decide to reformat my data drive and recover it from the full backup I’d just made. Hours later this completes and my system boots back up, but now it has two system volumes both named “Macintosh HD”, plus the data drive I reformatted and restored, and Time Machine is repeatedly barking at me for having two drives named the same thing so it doesn’t know what to do. So I find the system volume I didn’t boot from and try to delete it, but it repeatedly says it’s still in use by the kext daemon and I can’t do that. So I rename that one “Macintosh HD WTF” and try again, and now it deletes without a problem. (It was deciding if it was still in use by the text name instead of the internal disk device identifier? Seriously?)

After that the Monterey install worked as expected, though of course the machine was dog slow afterward as it rebuilt the Spotlight cache and the Time Machine index for a good half an hour to an hour.

Internet chatter suggests there are some latent bugs using Time Machine with an APFS-formatted Fusion drive that can lead to unfixable file system errors that require a reformat to fully resolve. Seems like something they should have fixed by now, since they’ve been shipping machines with APFS-formatted Fusion drives for a few years at least. Fuckers.

In my experience with Apple, completely expected that they would ignore errors like that. They want to drive folks into Apple Stores, and it's part of their core businessmaking decisions. It's challenging enough that they wouldn't expect the average user to figure it out, and the advanced user will eventually get around to a full format.

• Sad
Reactions: Jer
Why the hell did I choose Tottenham Hotspur as my fave English Premier League team 8 years ago?! Though there have a been a few good years, for the most part they have done nothing more than frustrate me. Especially this year. They're currently down 0-2 to Manchester United. Oh well. I am a Boston Bruins(hence my name) fan and they rarely disappoint me.They play tonight so perhaps a victory tonight will ease my pain:) I'm also a NY Giants fan and even though they have sucked since they last won a Super Bowl in 2011, I've gotten used to it. At least they won 4 Super Bowls in my lifetime. To quote the Monty Python song,"Always look on the bright side of life":) Yeah. I will just keep telling myself that:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So our boss has resigned. But he’s refused to tell us ( we found out from an internal memo) , refuses to tell us when he’s leaving and keeps cancelling our weekly meetings so he doesn’t have to face us. It’s utterly bizarre and unprofessional

Suggestion for future Bonfire Nights: people take fireworks into a deserted place away from all animals, and dog owners consider spending the other 364 days of the year working on not having their dogs crapping all over the streets and barking nonstop day and night.

They're persisting with the plan to cram as many people as distancing will allow back into the office from next week. It's shaping up to be an absolute mess. We have to book our desk space every week, leading to a mass grab of who gets the preferred desks on the preferred days, and small friendship groups trying to make sure they're next to each other and don't have the crappy shifts. Far from encouraging team building, collaboration and sharing of ideas, it's dog eat dog.

Plus all the lifts are broken, we have to extend our working day to allow time to clean our own desks, and nobody has worked out how the queuing system for using the toilets or going to the kitchen or drinks points is going to work. People used to pile into those, now it's only one or two allowed at a time.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the software mastodont known as SAP.

In our company, it is used to keep track of orders, contract details, project management et cetera and only project managers and economy people need to deal with it. The rest of us only face it through a simplified interface used for time sheets and related stuff.

However, with some of our customers it is used for detailed planning of work tasks, also in the project I'm currently involved in. And the amount of mouse clicks, opening of pages, entering of codes and what not, just to upload a bloody drawing, makes me convinced of this:

This hellish thing was spawned by unemployed SS guards who escaped the death penalty after WW2 and had nothing to do and no-one to take their sadism out on. Of course these men would be old before personal computers became powerful enough for their ideas to reach their full potential, but now when they are gone, their legacy is daily rage fits, strokes and heart attacks all around the world.

SAP is used in many companies for many different things, and in all situations it is the worst solution possible. We are running a version so old it needs IE 11 to run. It will not run anywhere else.

SAP is the only big software company Germany ever produced.

And yes, it's awful to work with.

Grandma told me she won't give me late grandpa's car (after the whole inheritance thing is sorted out) unless I have a girlfriend at that moment. Mind you, the plan was always for me to inherit that car, and no one in the family is disputing it. I'D LOVE TO HAVE A GIRLFRIEND GRANDMA, BUT IT'S NOT SO FUCKING EASY, BECAUSE I'M A MORON!

On an unrelated note, what's that Hollywood movie with a guy bringing a fake girlfriend to his family for Christmas/Thanksgiving/some other holiday? I need it for research.

Back