Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Found this photo of Adrian and his touring guitars in "1983"(caption says Adrian Smith - with his touring gutiaris on the World Piece Tour at St David's Hall Cardiff Wales UK - 15 May 1983.) but based off the Lados and his outfit I'm reasonably confident its the Cardiff show from October 7th 1984. Nice black Charvel too!

When has Adrian played the Lado Earth most recently?

I have the Steve Harris royal blue Fender p-bass (ie the one he plays on "Live After Death", "Maiden England", etc). Has anyone owned/played that instrument, and also the Fender Olympic white bass (ie the one he plays on "Rock in Rio", "En Vivo", etc)?

Aside from the difference in colour (and the white model having the West Ham logo), is there any difference in the design or performance of the instrument?

I have the Steve Harris royal blue Fender p-bass (ie the one he plays on "Live After Death", "Maiden England", etc). Has anyone owned/played that instrument, and also the Fender Olympic white bass (ie the one he plays on "Rock in Rio", "En Vivo", etc)?

Aside from the difference in colour (and the white model having the West Ham logo), is there any difference in the design or performance of the instrument?

I think they are the same bass repainted???

From what I know the difference is in the body (ash OR alder vs. maple) and bridge (Badass vs. Hi-mass).

It's the same exact bass he's used since forever. IIRC it started out in white, was repainted black (I'm not sure if it had the mirror pickguard originally, but definitely at least from this point onward), then sparkly blue for the 80s, and finally back to white with the West Ham crest and the colors lining the body in the early 90s for the FotD tour and on. Small mods here and there, new bridge, different strings, the pickup's changed too I believe and the tone control is hardwired since people kept screwing with it in the club days.

I can't say anything about the specs of the signature models but I suspect they probably aren't massively different from each other beyond trying to more or less replicate how Steve had the bass back in the 80s vs now.

It's the same exact bass he's used since forever. IIRC it started out in white, was repainted black (I'm not sure if it had the mirror pickguard originally, but definitely at least from this point onward), then sparkly blue for the 80s, and finally back to white with the West Ham crest and the colors lining the body in the early 90s for the FotD tour and on. Small mods here and there, new bridge, different strings, the pickup's changed too I believe and the tone control is hardwired since people kept screwing with it in the club days.

I can't say anything about the specs of the signature models but I suspect they probably aren't massively different from each other beyond trying to more or less replicate how Steve had the bass back in the 80s vs now.
Does anyone know exactly when Steve got this bass? For the earliest gigs (76-77?) he is pictured with a Fender jazz bass.

Adrian and Janick's gear on Senjutsu, as per Total Guitar Magazine interview:

Adrian:
Guitars:
2016 Green Jackson Prototype with SD JB; main guitar
2017 Black Gibson Les Paul Standard; "On some of it" (one is probably The Time Machine, since it's in drop D)
Red Jackson Double neck 12/6 "Weights 3/4 of a ton, but sounds great"; Darkest Hour (confirmed) and probably Hell On Earth intro.

Amp:
Marshall JVM410, mode four (Red mode of one of the channels, probably OD1)

Effects:
-Ibanez Tube Screamer

Janick:
Guitars:
-main Black Custom Shop Strat
-White vintage reissue Strat
-"Another spare", which I guess is the Sandberg, since it's the spare guitar for both listed above live

Amps:
-Touring rig
-Some kind of a Marshall prototype

Effects:
-Graphic Equalizer

With H's back problems... I doubt it. He will probably go for acoustic XII on a stand as for COTD in 2016.
I think an acoustic guitar for the intro of ''Darkest Hour'' will not work, simply because the intro is not acoustic in the studio version... COTD has an acoustic guitar in the studio version.

I think an acoustic guitar for the intro of ''Darkest Hour'' will not work, simply because the intro is not acoustic in the studio version... COTD has an acoustic guitar in the studio version.
True, but artists do compensate. Nicko said that H has back problems, so I think he wouldn't risk overloading it with a 12/6 doubleneck... Probably the reason why it was not taken along for COTD in 2016.

So... From recently surfaced photos... Senjutsu sessions:

Dave:

DM23121956 Strat (on the stand)
California Series Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Gibson Les Paul Axcess
? (A black guitar, should be easier to determine when I get the FC mag)

H:
8432 Jackson prototype Rosewood
#1 Green sunburst Jackson (in his hands)
#2 Green sunburst Jackson
Black Gibson Les Paul Custom
Black Gibson Les Paul Standard

For S/K gigs, it seems that H has gone bonkers with guitars (Richie jokingly said that H is bringing 28). Well, he brought 6 :bigsmile:.

From what I've seen, the only guitar he used on both sides of Atlantic was his main Green Jackson 2016 prototype.

The others seem to be from H's current touring IM arsenal. 8431 Jackson prototype with new maple neck is still main drop-D guitar. All Jacksons are maple-necked, so I guess one of them is #2 maple Jackson prototype (the one with chipped prototype) and one is the #2 green Jackson (from Comfortably Numb video). Have no idea what the 5th Jackson is. Could be the 1986 Jackson, since I see that one of them has a very dark neck.

Along is a Les Paul. Could be the Goldtop, but it's more likely his current touring black Standard.

And Big Sean is teching on this run.

For S/K gigs, it seems that H has gone bonkers with guitars (Richie jokingly said that H is bringing 28). Well, he brought 6 :bigsmile:.

From what I've seen, the only guitar he used on both sides of Atlantic was his main Green Jackson 2016 prototype.

The others seem to be from H's current touring IM arsenal. 8431 Jackson prototype with new maple neck is still main drop-D guitar. All Jacksons are maple-necked, so I guess one of them is #2 maple Jackson prototype (the one with chipped prototype) and one is the #2 green Jackson (from Comfortably Numb video). Have no idea what the 5th Jackson is. Could be the 1986 Jackson, since I see that one of them has a very dark neck.

Along is a Les Paul. Could be the Goldtop, but it's more likely his current touring black Standard.

And Big Sean is teching on this run.
Here is the best picture I could get of Adrian’s guitar cases from the Roseville, CA show. Sorry for the fuzziness, but the labels might be helpful.

- White main
- White backup
- Green main
- C

05FBD44A-78B1-495D-BB38-677BFD154288.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the best picture I could get of Adrian’s guitar cases from the Roseville, CA show. Sorry for the fuzziness, but the labels might be helpful.

- White main
- White backup
- Green main
- C

View attachment 19246
Nice. Although, I believe, these are a completely different set of guitars apart from the main Green Jackson. In US, he used his "Malibu" guitars (plus main Green Jacko) and now, he is using is IM touring guitars.

Nice pic.

Back