Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

It’s 1996. Brucie’s left and we are at the point where 5 guys love what they’re doing. I read it as he means the new era, TXF.

Lars is talking about the past avoiding to touch the quality of music, insisting more on quantitative (10 more minutes) & organizational (best tee shirts) aspects.
Steve tries to bring him back to the present. He seeks feedback on the thing that matters: present tense. Also I feel he wants to know about music quality not tee shirts, ok subjective this is how I read it.
Finally the “Gentlemen, please..” shows there was some kind of tension.

The "gentlemen please" is obviously a joke, Lars makes a comment about "bending [Steve] over" and Steve reacts in a joking manner, as a straight man not interested in being bent over, Lars isn't being serious and neither is Steve, nor is the author to the faux drama.

The "gentlemen please" is obviously a joke, Lars makes a comment about "bending [Steve] over" and Steve reacts in a joking manner, as a straight man not interested in being bent over, Lars isn't being serious and neither is Steve, nor is the author to the faux drama.

I’m fully convinced it’s a joke now.

However I still see something negative. For one I would never make this kind of joke to someone that I truly respect, that I’m not super familiar with and certainly not to someone I claim he was my idol.
Now put everything he said in the interview together, the 10 more minutes of music, tee shirts, Kerrang! that didn’t like SIT, Maiden being great but always in the past tense, Bruce telling him he left because he was bored, plus this joke; I read some kind of (not so) covered rejection.

Dee told you? :)
He was really friendly and chatted with us- the fans - after the show. So I knew he was friends with Steve and I asked his opinion on -now that I am thinking of it again - both TXF and VXI. So it must have been on 1998...

Anyhow he said he thought Steve dropped the ball with TXF and that VXI was a more Maiden-ish album.

@Zare

I see a wink again, something negative. Before the tee shirts and the 10 more minutes, now Kerrang!..
He doesn’t talk about Powerslave there would be no case there, he choses to speak about SIT which is a weaker album so it will work to his favor.

Well I don't get that negativity.
I see it as a throwback to the interviewer from Kerrang who didn't rate SiT very high.

Also I don't think SiT is seen as universally weaker. If I rate it higher than Powerslave why can't Lars?

I feel I need to repeat that Mikkey Dee was also scratching his head when he heard TXF. He told that to Steve who was quite pissed off,lol!

My feelings also, when I heard it. First three tracks aside, the rest seemed to ramble along. It took years to grow on me.

I have to say though, I’ve seen many many COVID era livestreams and I could probably count the ones worth watching on one hand. They do kind of suck.

"I mean, Steve [Harris, bass] and myself, we once discussed, 'Wow, what if we went out and we did our whole set of all the epics?', like 'Alexander the Great,' 'Seventh Son of the Seventh Son,' you know, just epics.

"And we went 'Yeah, that would be cool.' And then you could go back and do different versions of other things as well, like, 'The Number of the Beast' in its entirety.

From : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new..._speaks_on_mistake_band_made_with_single.html

Would you ever consider taking some tracks that Maiden would never do, such as ‘Burning Ambition’ for example, and dropping them into the British Lion set?
No, I mean, I think it would be all too easy to do that, and maybe even songs from the Blaze years which may never see the light of day with Maiden again. People ask me that question, and yeah, on one hand, but I think, if I did that, I’d have to do a third project. I wouldn’t want to do it with this, because this is a totally different thing, and it’s more rock and roll than metal anyway, and I think those songs, if I did it, maybe I’d get Blaze or someone to do it with; I don’t know, it’s not something I particularly have the time to do, or have the inclination right now anyway! But if you’re thinking about it, I think that would be the way to go, rather than doing it with this, because this is a totally separate entity; I don’t think it really would be right to do it with this anyway.

Steve has an open mind for sure, but at the moment they can't even do their regular tour, so it's kind of difficult to arrange anything special!

Last edited:
I feel like this is really just a cover for the real reason, i.e. the band's scattered all over the globe and getting them, the crew and the gear together for long enough that they could rehearse a set and perform it live would be a logistical nightmare, and likely cost more than they could possibly make from selling access to the stream.

It indeed sounds as a lame excuse. Sorry Bruce, I bet most Maiden fans will not agree with this.
If Maiden does not like it, sure dude, but not for a second I believe one hoot of the rest. Not buying it.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure working for 3 months every year is something that will get other bands really tired as Radio Metal claim though.

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure working for 3 months every year is something that will get other bands really tired as Radio Metal claim though.
Maybe Radio Metal means the intensity during the shows. Bruce and the band members are giving 666% of themselves on stage every evening when they're touring. And this energy is something that other bands don't really have...

Back