Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Blasting it since 0:00 local time, it's 3 times right now and I love it, though I still did not come to appreciate Death of The Celts. Overall the album has very dark climate, probably the heaviest in Maiden history. Some parts are very reminiscent of TXF which is great, in several places I heard BNW vibes.
Senjutsu is an awesome opener, the drums are relentless and unsettling, as soon as guitar comes in a big grin appeares on my face and does not leave it for a long time. Even with the track being quite long it does not get boring.
Stratego and WOTW - well, everything has already been said about it. I love both tracks and how they are different from each other.
Lost in a Lost World - definitely a grower, after first listening of the first disk I thought it's the weakest track in there, but it keeps getting better each time and now I got on par with the others.
Days of Future Past - holy cow, that riff after the intro... Instant hit.
The Time Machine - a highlight of Janick's writing, loaded with guitar melodies, intro a bit reminiscent of The Talisman, but better. Gets in your head quickly.
Darkest Hour - reminds me of Children of The Damned somehow. Highlight of Bruce's new vocal abilities. And that instrumental section... feels like we're Somewhere (Back) in Time...
Even with that recycled lick in Daveys solo :D
All 'Arry' s epics need more time to digest, thought the only i liked straight away was Hell on Earth, the Parchment grew on me with the layered guitar riffs, and I still can't get to like Death of the Celts on par with the rest of the songs.

Overall a very diverse album. I love Bruce's lower vocals, and even in higher parts he sounds best since BNW. As for the other standout feature... Adrian is a bloody guitar god, but that we already knew :D
Update after a few more listens - I love the melancholy of LIALW.
As for the tripple 'Arry finish:
Death of The Celts grew on me. Maybe it is The Clansman recycled, but I prefer this one. The climate really gets me, and compared to the former it feels less like an anthem for freedom, and more like a story told by the fire.
The Parchment - to me it's one of the best tracks ever but also the most difficult to understand. Reminiscent of TTAL, instantly feels like some desert-kingdom-something even before you hear the lyrics. The intro and outro could almost fit as a part of a movie soundtrack. Notice that the song speeds up a bit gradually. And the solos. And the melodies....
Hell on Earth - well, this song has everything. The tempo. The riffs. The melodies. The... LOST IN ANGER, LIFE IN DANGER... sorry it slipped through :D perfect album ending and a really mature song music and lyric-wise.
For now it is my #1 album, will see how it works with time, but it's the only album since AMOLAD, which doesn't tempt me to skip one or two songs. Now... waiting for ALBUM #18, and Bruce's solo album \m/

After countless spins this weekend, I must say... I currently think this album is the best since SSOASS. It is, as I said before, a masterpiece. I can't find anything to criticize. I hope this assessment stands the test of time - but I have a much better feeling than after hearing BoS the first time.

Also, do you guys think the nods to old songs (in particular songs set in ancient lore/history) in The Time Machine was on purpose? It would certainly fit the title. I can hear the The Talisman in the intro, the Book of Souls (song) in some of the verses, and there are several other parts I can recognize some similarity, but which I cannot place right now...
I also feels that this is total absolute masterpiece, one of their best albums (atleast from the current lineup)..but there's hardly anything really to criticize like you said. The songs flow really well, great solos and riffs, Bruce sounds so great through the album. I wouldn't change anything on this album. It's pristine and immaculate for me. 17th album and some other bands wouldn't surely be able to pull album like this and nail it like Maiden did.
I think some of the nods are really meant to be there on purpose, I like it and it's one cool way to look to their past, showing their origins, path and past but present and the legacy that will be here..

After countless spins this weekend, I must say... I currently think this album is the best since SSOASS. It is, as I said before, a masterpiece. I can't find anything to criticize. I hope this assessment stands the test of time - but I have a much better feeling than after hearing BoS the first time.

Also, do you guys think the nods to old songs (in particular songs set in ancient lore/history) in The Time Machine was on purpose? It would certainly fit the title. I can hear the The Talisman in the intro, the Book of Souls (song) in some of the verses, and there are several other parts I can recognize some similarity, but which I cannot place right now...
I thought this - definitely deliberate. Mr Gers referencing his greatest hits on his last song on what might be their last album. It wouldn’t be accidental - the title gives the game away!

Senjutsu Tour setlist prediction

1. Senjutsu
2. Stratego
3. The Trooper
4. The Writing on the Wall
5. Death of the Celts
6. 2 Minutes to Midnight
7. Number of the Beast
8. Hell on Earth
9. Alexander the Great / Lost In a Lost World
10. The Parchment
11. Run to the Hills
12. Hallowed Be Thy Name

ENCORE:
13. Wasted Years
14. Iron Maiden
15. Blood Brothers

Also, do you guys think the nods to old songs (in particular songs set in ancient lore/history) in The Time Machine was on purpose?
Maybe the Time Machine explains all the other songs on this album, Mr Just-a-man revisits critical historical moments and personages, like defending the great wall, Napoleon, Churchill, Babylon, Celts, Indians, Pakrement is also evidently about some war, etc.

Every song from this album will be great to hear live.
I get that feeling too, I remember I was really excited when TBOS came out but I didn't think "this should be played live entirely" back then. This album feels live ready and I love it.

And boy.... I anticipated that Lost in a Lost World will be bottom song on this album. No f* way. I like it very much!
I like it a lot too. The album is all killer, no filler! The songs are so good and that's why LIALW is not high in some people's rankings (mine, for example) - the song is great, but it's just that some of the other songs are really strong/instant classics.

I think my least favorite song from the album is TWOTW.

Move to 13:14 for the error everyone talks about!

The CD tray is different on my album, his has the cd in the middle and the right, mine are left and right, nothing in the middle

I wonder is this exclusive to the box set or some sort of fuck up?

Reactions: Gk1
Havent read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned the similarities between The Parchment and The Nomad?

I know its not unusual for Steve to recycle things from earlier songs but when its a track you got sued over its either a ballsy move or asking for trouble isnt it?

Havent read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned the similarities between The Parchment and The Nomad?

I know its not unusual for Steve to recycle things from earlier songs but when its a track you got sued over its either a ballsy move or asking for trouble isnt it?
Yes and no. He recycled bits from Nomad. He has right to do that I guess.

Album is amazing. No weak points. Even bad songs are quite good and you could put them on AMOLAD or BNW.

Sixth listen superb stratego and HELL ON EARTH. I can see the stadium only singing hell on earth and going apeshit. What a amazing song mix of maiden from late 90s and early 00s

I like it a lot too. The album is all killer, no filler! The songs are so good and that's why LIALW is not high in some people's rankings (mine, for example) - the song is great, but it's just that some of the other songs are really strong/instant classics.

For me lost in a lost world and days of future past are the worst songs,but i dont skip it like 65% of dance of death

I love it, especially the intro, with the choir style part!

Time machine has the same problem. The intro is like the talismán,and then the riff of the edge of darkness

Back