Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Yep. With Janick, Nicko and Dave. Let's hear something from them too.
We know what Nicko would say. I find that Jan is quite precise with his comments for each new album. It is a very boring day at work. Come on throw us a bone here!! :)

Last edited:
Speaking of reviews and reviewers, I recently read a review on Yngwie’s latest effort that was given 4,5 out of 5, so I guess the reviewer was either a total fanboy, deaf or had no idea what he was doing.

Off topic but...

The thing with Malmsteen is that he's not playing "hard rock" or "metal", yet hard-rock crowd keep evaluating his records as rock for the simple reason that he uses a electric guitar. Imagine Maiden started to include jazz improvisations and Latin rhythms in their records.... It would be a parallel.

Off topic but...

The thing with Malmsteen is that he's not playing "hard rock" or "metal", yet it's hard-rock people that keep evaluating records for the simple reason that he uses a electric guitar. Imagine Maiden started to include jazz improvisations and Latin rhythms in their records.... It would be a parallel.
Odyssey is most certainly hard rock, wannabe 80's Rainbow, with Harmonic Minor licks. Yngwie wants to be Bach and Pagianini. Doesn't mean his music is anywhere near the classical side of his influences. He has been playing standard hard rock and early metal tunes with Paginani wannabe solo licks for most of his discography. He is not a classical composer, though Yngwie wants you to think otherwise.

Off topic but...

The thing with Malmsteen is that he's not playing "hard rock" or "metal", yet hard-rock crowd keep evaluating his records as rock for the simple reason that he uses a electric guitar. Imagine Maiden started to include jazz improvisations and Latin rhythms in their records.... It would be a parallel.
For me, the latest from him has been a total disappointment due to the horrid production, the lack of a good singer, programmed drums etc. I mean, the guy doesn’t lack talent, he lacks insight and a producer that can rein him in and make a reality check :)

For me, the latest from him has been a total disappointment due to the horrid production, the lack of a good singer, programmed drums etc. I mean, the guy doesn’t lack talent, he lacks insight and a producer that can rein him in and make a reality check :)
Roy Z mixed Perpetual Flame, yet the vocal sound is incredibly thin and shitty. I guess Yngwie didn't want to share the attention with Ripper (who did a pretty good job) and told Z to not let the vocals take up too much space.

Reactions: Oca
He is not a classical composer, though Yngwie wants you to think otherwise.
07c7fd41e4580f5740c8de36c57516d9.jpg

Many reviews say Senjutsu is much like Stratego, only more complex.

So they’ve released an SFX version of TWOTW and seeing that notification from youtube had me excited for a second (thought it was Stratego) lol. And people having seeing the video a million times almost are still going “oh my gaadd”. Way to troll Maiden, way to troll

Yep, he definitely wants you to think otherwise. There are undeniable classical influences, but the core of his material is rock with harmonic minor shredding.

The Concerto in E Flat Harmonic Minor was rather solid. I'm not quite sure how much of it is his original composition though, as Adagio is originally an Albinoni piece, but it's really good. I do wish his acoustic playing consisted of more than half shredding with a pick though. He's basically rock guitarist with a classical flare more than anything so that's understandable.

Off topics: Malmsteen's new record Parabellum is good. Some very beautiful songs on there. He's singing well and his playing is great (RE: solo on "Eternal Bliss"). No, he's not a classical composer and most of his stuff is very old school heavy metal with a neoclassical flavour.

I bought Parabellum on Deluxe Box Set CD, your idea of must buy records this year might vary.

His speed is still extremely impressive almost 30 years later, but it's the vibrato that kills. Of all rock/metal guitarplayers, only George Lynch and Adrian Smith can touch that in pure 'hell yeah'.

Yep, he definitely wants you to think otherwise. There are undeniable classical influences, but the core of his material is rock with harmonic minor shredding.

The Concerto in E Flat Harmonic Minor was rather solid. I'm not quite sure how much of it is his original composition though, as Adagio is originally an Albinoni piece, but it's really good. I do wish his acoustic playing consisted of more than half shredding with a pick though. He's basically rock guitarist with a classical flare more than anything so that's understandable.
Doug Helvering of YouTube fame has done a couple of reactions and analyses of Malmsteen’s stuff. Among others, I think the piece you’re referring to.

The SFX version is interesting but really detracts from the music.
I'm really enjoying listening to WOTW on repeat. Try to get a couple of days between listens to have a bit of distance but really think it is a great song. Have major high hopes for Senjutsu considering the production sounds better than BOS and Sir Steve has written four songs. Only caveat is that Dave has no writing credits and I usually like his songs but we can't have everything. Majorly stoked

Back