Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Haha, I called up 93X in 1996 to request some Bruce Dickinson and the D.J. tried to make fun of me, suggesting I call the adult contemporary station instead. I said, “Dude, he was the singer for Iron Maiden!”, and the guy stammered a bit and said he mixed him up with someone else (I’m guessing Bruce Hornsby). I said, “They actually pay you for this?” and he sheepishly said, “Yeah, it’s pretty amazing, huh…”
They actually played Accident Of Birth a lot when it first came out.

I’d say the slow intro/slow outro formula was used at its best on AMOLAD.
I agree, because the intros were better and more atmospheric than on many other albums. On The Final Frontier they were too long. The Talisman which is a killer song, has a intro which can put people to sleep.

Reactions: Oca
Same intro/outro motif

70's/80's

Burning Ambition
Strange World
The Ides Of March
Prodigal Son
Invaders
The Number Of The Beast
Total Eclipse
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper
Quest For Fire
To Tame A Land
Aces High (despite the intro made to be a playback, live)
Heaven Can Wait
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
Déjà-Vu (apart from the intro, repeats the two heavy and fast main riffs)
Alexander The Great (repeats the first main riff)

90's

No Prayer For The Dying
Mother Russia (apart from the intro, it repeats the first main idea, which bears the cadence of the next riff and the verses)
The Fugitive
Weekend Warrior
Fear Of The Dark
Sign Of The Cross
Lord Of The Flies (other key, a bit faster, but, same intent)
The Aftermath
The Edge Of Darkness
Justice Of The Peace
2 A.M.
The Unbeliever
Virus
The Angel And The Gambler
The Educated Fool

00's

Brave New World
The Nomad
Out Of The Silent Planet
Rainmaker
No More Lies
Dance Of Death
Gates Of Tomorrow
Paschendale
Age Of Innocence
Journeyman
Different World
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Longest Day

10's
Coming Home
When The Wild Wind Blows
The Great Unknown
The Red And The Black
When The River Runs Deep
The Book Of Souls
Tears Of A Clown (repeats the main riff after the intro)

He used this artifice the most in the beloved 80's, and in the same amount, in the 90's and in the 00's. Up The IRON(y). Ahahahahahahahahah...

Last edited:
Song endings 101:
  • A chorus
  • A crescendo
  • A fadeout
  • A bang
  • A denoument
There ain't a lot of options folks.

Are we really complaining that Steve favours one of the lesser-used choices?
Especially after all these years and all those great songs?

Oh look at that (eye roll here): fucking van gogh is using oils again
No fadeouts, please and thank you.

And Maiden only have 1 track with the all time shitest ending, the fade out. (2 if you count Prophecy where it's acceptable)

I was kicking myself last night when I remembered this after posting.

2 even worse endings than the fade out.

The War Pigs change to 45 RPM ending WTF!!!111 :lol: On one of the all time classics no less.

The Kiss Black Diamond change to rarely seen 16 RPM ending :lol: Again fucking up one of their absolute classics.

I quite like the intro on The Talisman. It sets the mood of the song, the calm before the storm.
Me too. But I remember a bad review for X Factor from 1995 (from Rolling Stone magazine iirc), that criticized the lack of variation in form between songs, specifically the quiet intro - loud middle - quiet ending thing. I did like SOTC, but I also remember thinking the review was correct. It‘s a good, “logical“ form, but why not have it the other way around once in a while? Like in Rime or SSOASS?

I really hope ''Darkest Hour'' to be a great song. It's time for another great ballad from Maiden (after ''Wasting Love'') - if the song is like TOTD or MOS from Bruce's solo albums, it will be a classic for sure.
^ A song that has AOB/TCW vibes (written by Smith/Dickinson) sounds very exciting. Even more exciting is that it will be a ballad.

In one of the reviews was mentioned that the title track (written by Smith/Harris) also could be a Bruce solo song - very curious.

In my book, Wasting Love is far from being great :ninja: Sorry. Tears of the Dragon and Man of Sorrows are GREAT.

Last edited:
When several songs in a row starting out and ending the same, and if it feels dragging or unnecessary, it is credible to criticise it, imo. We will see, if this Steve's approach works on the new album.
That's the point. If something work with should not ask 'how' it works. People like to bitch about everything. Well see how this turns out but reviews are very good. The less enthusiastic ones indicate that album will be very strong.

Back